Arriving in Miami @ 10:20am & cruise @ 4:00

Wags67

Doesn't the new 90 minute rule go into effect Monday? Everybody has to be onboard at least 90 minutes ahead of time so they can submit the ships maifest.

I thought it was Monday anyway???

Bill

What is the point of having everyone be onboard 90 minutes before leaving?

If everyone is on board it may as well leave, or am I missing something here!

Cheers,

Peter

Flight leaves at 6:30 in the morning. There are still chances of delays, but the chances of a late arrival time is near none, because the plane has been there all night and not coming in.

I guess you have never had the dreaded message from the cockpit as the plane is taxiing out on that first flight of the day: "Ladies and gentleman, this is your captain speaking. During our cockpit checks this morning we have discovered a minor maintenance issue, so we will need to taxi back to the gate to get it checked out".

Your 8:30am arrival in Miami can quickly become a missed cruise when they need to put you on a connecting flight through Atlanta or Charlotte because your original nonstop flight was cancelled.

I have had PLENTY of experiences of massive delays and cancellations on the first flight of the day due to maintenance, overbooked flights, air traffic control, morning fog, you name it. Airlines can be HIGHLY unpredictable. Most recently, I was on a 7am flight on United. They held the flight until 10:30am at the gate to combine our flight with the next flight since the later flight was cancelled and United wanted to make sure that everybody would get out....!

Flying in on the day of departure sounds like a great idea until you get screwed once. Then never, ever again will you fly in on the day your cruise leaves...

FYI - AA 873 has an on-time rating of 77% with an average delay of 20 minutes over the last 62 flights......

Ontime 48

Late 9

Very Late 1

Excessive 4

Cancelled 1

Diverted 0

Todays the flight arrived 43 min late to the gate in Mia.

Is it 90 minutes now?? I thought I read an hour - but it may have changed again.

I think the 90 minutes is right, I know I read that it was changing, just not sure of the date. The new security measures - again - Homeland Security has to check a manifest (list of all passengers names), and give the go ahead before the ship can sail. I also read, that if you are not checked in by the deadline, that the ship wouldn't be allowed to let you on.

The OP just needs to understand that departure time, does not mean they can run up the gangway at 4.

Diane

Is it 90 minutes now?? I thought I read an hour - but it may have changed again.

This is an email I got from RCI for a cruise I have booked in September. I don't know when it starts but I seem to remember February 18th for some reason. I'll do some further checking to see if I can verify that.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Due to new government regulations requiring cruise lines to submit

final departure manifests at least 60 minutes prior to sailing,

guests are requested to complete Online Check-in no later than 3 days

prior to their cruise. If you do not complete Online Check-in 3 days

prior, you will be required to complete this process at the pier at

least two hours prior to the published sailing time.

Please note: All guests must be checked-in and onboard the ship no

later than 90 minutes prior to the published sailing time or you will

not be permitted to sail.

Bill

Personally I don't normally have problems with American Airlines. We flew from IAD to MIA and were supposed to arrive at 8:35 but we were there by 8:15. Our luggage also made it right away. Then we ended up trying to kill 1.5 hours at the airport and went to the pier around 10, and got onboard by 11:45! So if you do get there early, head for the pier because you can eat lunch onboard for free! :D The only thing is you can't get to your cabin until 1:30.

In my experience with AA, the 737-800's, like the one you are booked on, are based in Miami, and are invariably needed for another service out of Miami, often to Central America or the Caribbean. Consequently, AA are loathe to cancel these flights. Further, the planes are quite new and don't have the service issues that the MD-80s have. First flights of the day are usually reliable. I fly AA regularly between New York-La Guardia and Toronto-Pearson, and I have never had a bag go astray, even at the abominably bad La Guardia airport.

Yours is the only direct flight from Detroit to Miami that day, so check in early, you don't want to get bumped if the flight is full. Most of the other flights go via La Guardia, O'Hare or Dallas-Fort Worth.

I don't think you need to be unduly concerned. I would have no problem flying from La Guardia to Miami on the first flight of the day. Just check in early, the day before on the internet if possible.

Hello everyone! I'll be arriving in Miami @ 10:20am on American Airlines to board the Victory on October 26, 2008. The ship sails at 4:00pm. I was okay about the timing and everything until I started reading some of the threads on CC. Has anyone experienced this arrival and sailing times before a cruise in Miami? (I've already booked the airfare but haven't checked to see if I can even switch days to come a day earlier yet.) I hope I'm just nervous and won't incur any issues but I thought I'd give a shout out for advise.....(My last cruise I arrived at 1:00pm in San Juan and the ship sailed @ 10:00pm~no worries there.) I guess I didn't think this through when I booked, I was just so excited to close my cruisin' deal..Thanks for any advise or comforting words.

Have insurance

Well, my nerves got the best of me. I called American Airlines today and switched travel dates. We will now be arriving in Miami on Saturday @ 10:20am instead of Sunday. Now I know we will not miss our ship and I can relax now. Since the Saturday flight was cheaper then the Sunday flight we only had to pay a $146 penalty fee instead of the $200 penalty fee. (Now I need to find a hotel:))

Thanks for everyone's input.

Archived