CCL Gift Certificates

djo631

Has anyone used CCL Gift Certificates to book a cruise. I can get these certificates through the rewards program on my credit card. The only problem is that I would now have to book through the promotions department instead of my PVP :eek: .

Has anyone booked through promotions or used these certificates??

Any help would be appreciated! :)

Mark

i just used $500 (five $100 gift certs -- citibank diamond rewards certs) toward the balance due on my miracle sailing (we have 2 balcony cabins). the cruise was booked prior to redemption, and they gave me no problem whatsoever.

if you have an existing cruise, call the person at CCL who booked it for you. they will give you the telephone number of the dept you need to send them to. call that dept, and the rep will tell you exactly what to do to redeem them. get the rep's name and extension. mail them registered mail to that rep's attn at the address and mail stop specified, then follow up.

good luck.

Are they from the Thank You Network? We just used $600 worth on a new booking. On the back of the gift certificates it said they are for new bookings only and must be booked through the Special Promotions Department. I called my PVP to verify that I could not book through him. He sent an e-mail to the Special Promotions Dept. and they responded in a few days telling him that he could book the cruise for us but we would need to call them immediately afterwards and make arrangements to send the gift certificates. So we booked the cruise and gave our PVP our credit card number. Then I called the Special Promotions Desk and gave them our booking number. She then had to reverse the credit card charge since the $600 more than covered the amount of the cruise and only charge the taxes and fees to our card. She asked that we send our gift certificates certified mail in the next two weeks.

If I get any more gift certificates in the future, I will just book directly through the Special Promotions Dept. It would have been less of a hassle. They offer the same prices and promotions as my PVP and they will adjust the price in the case of a future price drop. I originally wanted to book with my PVP because he is so helpful and easy to work with but our reservation is transferred to the Special Promotions Dept. anyway so I will have to call them with any questions or changes to the reservation.

Also, the same cancelation policy applies when using the gift certificates.

Do you have any other questions? I was really nervous ordering them without knowing what problems might arise.

I also get Carnival gift cards through my rewards program for my credit card. You can use them if you book directly with Carnival. I did not so I called Carnival and they said I could use them to apply towards my SS account once on the ship.

Ok this board is great for help with something you all are talking about if you dont mind helping me out what does it mean when you all say you can use gift certificates through the rewards program on your credit card, how does this work? Thanks for any help? :)

We have a Citibank Diamond Rewards Card that earns points. The points can be redeemed with the Thank You Network. One of the rewards is a Carnival Gift Certificate (different from Gift Cards). You get a $100 gift certificate for 10,000 points.

Apply for the card. I think the interest rate is 12% but it we pay everything off the same month anyway.

We get a point for every dollar spent on our credit card. We can go to the rewards site and pick all kinds of things for points, including gift cards for Starbucks, Best Buy, etc., and Carnival. We use our credit card for a lot of purchases (including groceries) so they really add up.

Are they from the Thank You Network? We just used $600 worth on a new booking. On the back of the gift certificates it said they are for new bookings only and must be booked through the Special Promotions Department. I called my PVP to verify that I could not book through him. He sent an e-mail to the Special Promotions Dept. and they responded in a few days telling him that he could book the cruise for us but we would need to call them immediately afterwards and make arrangements to send the gift certificates. So we booked the cruise and gave our PVP our credit card number. Then I called the Special Promotions Desk and gave them our booking number. She then had to reverse the credit card charge since the $600 more than covered the amount of the cruise and only charge the taxes and fees to our card. She asked that we send our gift certificates certified mail in the next two weeks.

If I get any more gift certificates in the future, I will just book directly through the Special Promotions Dept. It would have been less of a hassle. They offer the same prices and promotions as my PVP and they will adjust the price in the case of a future price drop. I originally wanted to book with my PVP because he is so helpful and easy to work with but our reservation is transferred to the Special Promotions Dept. anyway so I will have to call them with any questions or changes to the reservation.

Also, the same cancelation policy applies when using the gift certificates.

Do you have any other questions? I was really nervous ordering them without knowing what problems might arise.

Eliza, that is exactly what they are. I have booked through my PVP and placed a deposit on my credit card. Do you think I could still order my certificates and redeem them? The Thank You network said it would take 2-5 weeks:eek: to get me my certificates. How long did you have to wait?

I could also redeem some points for cash, but I could get 300 off in CCL certificates but only 200 in cash??

Mark

We have a Citibank Diamond Rewards Card that earns points. The points can be redeemed with the Thank You Network. One of the rewards is a Carnival Gift Certificate (different from Gift Cards). You get a $100 gift certificate for 10,000 points.

Apply for the card. I think the interest rate is 12% but it we pay everything off the same month anyway.

i love this card because i have actually realized a reward with it, and did it quickly.

my seamiles card was a joke. i charged up a storm with that card with hopes of getting the great rewards promised. end result, despite the heavy use of the card i have little to show for it and, the program requires you to book with their travel agent who gives no great breaks.

bottom line: it took me less than half the time to rack up the points with citibank, so i let those seamiles points go straight to the trash. (not worth it).

Eliza, that is exactly what they are. I have booked through my PVP and placed a deposit on my credit card. Do you think I could still order my certificates and redeem them? The Thank You network said it would take 2-5 weeks:eek: to get me my certificates. How long did you have to wait?

I could also redeem some points for cash, but I could get 300 off in CCL certificates but only 200 in cash??

Mark

It took one week to get the certificates for us. If you are unable to use the certificates on the cruise you already booked, you could always cancel and rebook. Assuming the price has not gone up.

I, too, have used my Citicard reward gift certs (through the "Thank You Network") on two cruises, and have had no problems using them whatsoever. Both times I booked through my PVP (who first called the Promos Dept to make sure it was okay). I didn't have to talk to the Special Promos Dept; I just mailed them in and they were applied (the first cruise they actually refunded my credit card for the deposit, and it wasn't an issue at all). I think Carnival is pretty lenient on these certs (just make sure you book w/them and not a TA). HTH

• 8 months later...

I did a search and came across this thread that answered some of my questions, but not all.

I recenlty got 20,000 points from the Thank you account and came at a perfect time because I am looking to book a short cruise. I have never been on a Carnival ship, only NCL and Celebrity.

I see that these can only booked Carnival from what I read on the gift certificates. Does anyone know if once you book it with Carnival, can it be transfered to a TA. I have used the same TA on each our cruises. If not its no big deal and I look forward to taking a Carnival cruise, eventhough DW and I are big freestyle cruising fans.

I am really into credit point programs and a $100 return from spending $10,000 is pretty paltry. I still remember the good old days when the Carnival Capital one card would give you a free bottle of champagne for $600 in purchases, or $200 cruise credit for $9000 of spending- oh well.

ANyhow, you want to do better than 1%. Lately, I have been finding a great return from hotel cards. for example, spend $3000 on a Choice rewards card and you get 6000 points, which is enough points for a lot of Quality Inns. What's the value? Well, last summer in Orlando, the room that we go for free was going for around $80. So, that is like a 3% return, right? Wrong- it is really more! See, when you get a free room, you also don't pay room tax, which can be an extra 10-15%.So, you do well. Last year, we got four nights free at Quality Inn, next month, I have two free nights at Embassy Suites coming my from Hilton, another excellent card. Btw, there are always good deals out on cards. Get a Hilton, Comfort or Starwood (sheraton) card and the first time you use it, they'll give you enough points for a free room.Also, if you get a Amex business card, spend $1,000 in the first three months, they'll give you 250,000 points. I got one last year, redeemed the points for $250 in gift cards for PF Chngs and Red Lobster. And, before anyone asks, I do pay off my cards every month. The one card that I used to use a lot that I don't is my AA card, airline miles are what they used to be.

I am really into credit point programs and a $100 return from spending $10,000 is pretty paltry. I still remember the good old days when the Carnival Capital one card would give you a free bottle of champagne for $600 in purchases, or $200 cruise credit for $9000 of spending- oh well.

ANyhow, you want to do better than 1%. Lately, I have been finding a great return from hotel cards. for example, spend $3000 on a Choice rewards card and you get 6000 points, which is enough points for a lot of Quality Inns. What's the value? Well, last summer in Orlando, the room that we go for free was going for around $80. So, that is like a 3% return, right? Wrong- it is really more! See, when you get a free room, you also don't pay room tax, which can be an extra 10-15%.So, you do well. Last year, we got four nights free at Quality Inn, next month, I have two free nights at Embassy Suites coming my from Hilton, another excellent card. Btw, there are always good deals out on cards. Get a Hilton, Comfort or Starwood (sheraton) card and the first time you use it, they'll give you enough points for a free room.Also, if you get a Amex business card, spend $1,000 in the first three months, they'll give you 250,000 points. I got one last year, redeemed the points for $250 in gift cards for PF Chngs and Red Lobster. And, before anyone asks, I do pay off my cards every month. The one card that I used to use a lot that I don't is my AA card, airline miles are what they used to be.

I spent no money on the points because they were opening a bank account at Citibank. I work for Smith Barney and they were having employees test market the Citigold accounts that can be linked to our accounts. All I had to do was put $1000 in and do a $1 direct deposit for 3 months and I got the 20,000 points, so that a 20% return in 3 months. I have HHonors Amex and Citi Dividend Card because I they give good returns.

Does anyone know the answers to my questions 3 posts up.

Thanks CCL cruisers

I'd never heard of this Thank you Network...how do they work?

2 points for gas, groceries, and drug stores, 1 point for everything else. The Diamond Preferred card was (and I think still is) the highest rated points/reward card. I was in it for several years when it was 5 point instead of 2 and always maxxed out at 75,000 points per year. Used to be able to get many major big box $100 gift cards for 10,000 points. It's pretty limited now, lot's of $50 cards for 6000 points. (you can take a $50 card and buy two $25 cards, they make good x-mas gifts for the nieces and nephews).

Reading about all the problems Citbank is having I thought I should "clean out" the account while I can (85,000+ points). On-line, Carnival certificates are not available. I called and at first she confirmed they were no longer available. She then talked to someone and seemed to have found some. Mine are "in the mail".

Soooo, if you're considering cashing in some points for Carnival certs, you might want to do it soon.

Archived