Juneau, Shrine of St Therese

tontok

I will be visiting Juneau in June and am interested if anyone had been to the Shrine of St Therese. What is the easiest way to get to this destination from the cruise dock, and how much approximately will it cost?

Thanks

I will be visiting Juneau in June and am interested if anyone had been to the Shrine of St Therese. What is the easiest way to get to this destination from the cruise dock, and how much approximately will it cost?

Thanks

We have visited there on our last two Alaskan cruises. We rented a car from rent-a-wreck which also allowed us to visit Amalga Harbor which is just up the highway from the shrine. We found St. Therese to be both a beautiful and peaceful time when we visited Juneau. I don't think public transportation goes there and I'm not sure what a taxi would cost. Perhaps almost as much as a rental car.

Another advantage of a car is that you can also drive to Mendenhall Glacier, Auk Bay, Auk Lake . . .

A car rental is your only option. Rent a Wreck is the only company that shuttles from the dock and allows dock drop off for an added fee.

On the way to the Shrine, also stop at Mendenhall, Auke Bay marina- usually loaded with eagles, Chapel On the Lake at Alaska U- spectacular glacier view. Hatchery, Glacier Gardens, Brewery etc.

For a great meal, drive 4 miles south of downtown to the Thane Ore House.

Two years ago when we did our cruise when we were in Juneau we walked around town, did the whale watch with Captin Larry and Mendenhall Glacier. We had a great time, They dropped us off at Mendenhall Glasier and took the shuttle bus back.

This year we are doing our second cruise in August 2008 and wanted to do something different we have rented a car from Rent A Wreck which was really cheap. After reading all of the information on these boards we felt that the car rental was the way to go. We are definately going back to Mendenhall Glacier and are really happy because we will get to do Glacier Gardens and a lot more sightseeing and not have to worry about transportation.:)

Thanks

I contacted the shrine about ways to get there. I was given an email of a tour company (M & M) that runs a tour out to the shrine.

When I contacted them this is what they responded:

The price of $37 includes a full 3 hour tour. The Shrine is our focal point. We spend about a half hour there. We also include the Historic City tour and a viewing of the Mendenhall Glacier as well as other sights along the way and we usually see lots of wild life.

We pick up from all 3 cruise ship docking locations. There is a fourth dock and you have the option to be bussed in to the main dock or walk. It is approximately 1 mile. Anywhere you dock we are easily accessible. You may make advance reservations with us at any time before your arrival.

Always remember to layer in Alaska. it may be 40 or 80. The average summer temps are between 45 and 65 degrees. Remember that is the avg.

In another email I was told the Mendenhall stop does not go to the visitor center at Mendenhall. They told me they go to a viewing area where the locals like to go. Times for the tour are usually 9am, 12 noon, and 3pm. (depends somewhat on cruise ships in port that day).

The email to contact Mike and Mariann of M & M Juneau tours is:

mmcummings1@aol.com

Mike has been very good about responding and explaining. I don't think we will be able to fit the tour in since we are going on the all day Tracy Arm excursion. However, he did tell me to call a day ahead. If he has the demand they will run another tour at 6:00 p.m.

I hope this helps.

The price of the car rental is $51.75. When I received my confirmation in the mail they sent me a list of places to see in Juneau. They pick you up at the dock and take you back. We have 3 people in our party and if you split the cost 3 ways it's a lot cheaper than $37.00 a person and you get to take your time and not feel rushed.

The price of the car rental is $51.75. When I received my confirmation in the mail they sent me a list of places to see in Juneau. They pick you up at the dock and take you back. We have 3 people in our party and if you split the cost 3 ways it's a lot cheaper than $37.00 a person and you get to take your time and not feel rushed.

I considered renting from Rent-A-Wreck in Juneau for the reasons you mentioned. However, I'm renting a car in Haines and in Anchorage for 8 days after the cruise ends, and I'd rather do a tour in Juneau. Afterwards, I plan to spend most of my time in the downtown area, and I don't want to have a car there.

If you don't want to rent a car, the taxi's all offer 'tours' and have a touring rate, rather than the flat mileage. Look at the Juneau website or Yahoo Yellow pages and call them to find out the rates. Some use cars, and some use minivans.

I'd say M&M tours would be better, because the driver is a real tour guide, as opposed to whomever your taxi driver is, but yes, more expensive.

The Shrine is somewhere I take every guest, and I visit there a few times a year for its amazing location and sense of peace, as well as wildlife spotting. The church seems to add something new every year or so, such as the rosary walk with wonderful landscaping. (I'm convinced one of the landscape companies in town must be owned by Catholics, because those plants would cost a fortune here.)

• 8 years later...
A car rental is your only option. Rent a Wreck is the only company that shuttles from the dock and allows dock drop off for an added fee.

On the way to the Shrine, also stop at Mendenhall, Auke Bay marina- usually loaded with eagles, Chapel On the Lake at Alaska U- spectacular glacier view. Hatchery, Glacier Gardens, Brewery etc.

For a great meal, drive 4 miles south of downtown to the Thane Ore House.

If I remember correctly, isn't there a great little restaurant at Auke Bay Marina?

DON

If I remember correctly, isn't there a great little restaurant at Auke Bay Marina?

DON

May not be the same place but we had a very good lunch at GonZo AK in Auke Bay. It’s a waffle place with a diverse selection of waffles, including salmon waffles. They get excellent reviews on TripAdvisor. My wife grew up in Auke Bay and during a port stop, GonZo was recommended by some friends who met us there for lunch. Really more of a locals place which is what we usually seek out.

DON

Yikes Don- this post is 8 years old. :) Thane Ore House closed years ago.

You are probably thinking about the Hot Spot? Difficult to get parking- which most is also pay now.