Alamo or Budget in Hawaii

shakespeare

We are cruising to Hawaii in December. Renting cars in Oahu, Lihue, Hilo and Kona. Looking for recommendations from people with experience with Alamo or Budget. Alamo's prices are better. Haven't checked Thrifty or any of the others yet.

Thanks icon_smile.gif

Infinatics/Infinitinis To Hawaii and Beyond

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;12;5;21;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Sun Princess Eastern Caribbean

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2005;4;8;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Veendam Southern Caribbean

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2005;11;26;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Last year we rented from Thrifty, and have already reserved through them for 2005. Their prices were the best we encountered. Several years ago I always got Alamo or Dollar because they were the lowest, but recently they've been the highest.

Island Princess Feb. 2004

Grand Princess Feb. 2002

Norwegian Sky Feb. 2001

We rented with Alamo last month on each of the islands. We had Chrysler Sebrings, our Hilo car only had 8 miles on it! For us, Alamo was the cheapest, and we were very happy. Shuttles were available at each of the ports, although we ran into rough water at Kona, and the tenders were delayed. By the time we got on shore, the shuttle had stopped running.

Thanks Dawoods & MFH...

Just priced Thrifty...they are all close in price. We are renting an SUV with another couple. I guess I'm more concerned about the shuttle service. Since neither of you have complaints, I guess they are both good.

Anyone else?

Thanks!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;12;5;21;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2005;4;8;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2005;11;26;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

You don't say your age bracket so I'll just pass on something.

I'm 56 so I'm eligible for an AARP discount. The best price was with National, by far. We rented from National on Oahu and Maui both earlier this year.

My son has decided to get married on Maui next year so I was again looking for a rental car. After checking everything again for next year, National came out on top again.

Alamo and Budget were not in the ball game, in fact, they weren't even in the park.

'89 Commodore/Caribe I

'92 NCL/Westward

'96 NCL/Seaward

'99 RCI/Rhapsody Of The Seas

'00 RCI/Legend Of The Seas

'01 Princess/Ocean Princess

'02 RCI/Vision Of The Seas

'03 Princess/Sea Princess, back-to-back

'03 Princess/Sea Princess

'04 Hawaii, 2 weeks on land

TAHITIAN PRINCESS 02/11/05

we just returned from our cruise. We rented with Alamo everywhere except Hilo because they were out of cars. (Tip don't wait until the last minute to rent, you may not get a car and in Maui our freinfd rented with Budget last minute and they would not provide a shuttle)We rented a compact in Honolulu (wouldn't chance a convertible due to the number of breakins they have reported)$23.99/ day (2 days) Sebring Convertible in Lihue - $39.99 (1 Day) Jeep Wrangler in Lahaina $39.99/ day (2 Days) and a Mustang convertible with Budget for $59.99. I got a flat so they dropped $10.

With Alamo we used rate code 6T (advertised in all the tourist books).

As for the shuttles they were available however we had to phone to confirm. I didn't phone Alamo in Lahaina and the guy wasn't going to let me on the shuttle - I wasn't on his list. Eventually he phone the office and they confiirmed my reservation. I had to give him my reservation #.

Nothing to add...we used Alamo on every island and it worked out very well. Even in Maui, the Budget lines for the shuttles were long but we glided right onto a National/Alamo van.

NCL Star 1/04

What's Next? Alaska 2005 - Ask me about an official CC group!

Hi Everyone, We rented from Hertz for this Dec and we thought the rates were good. (an average of $40.00 for a large size car) and they stated if you take a taxi to pick up car they will pay up to $20.oo.

Cyndee and Bob

In my searching for the best price/deal, it all depends on when you're going. I took my itinerary, plugged it into each car rental website, got different prices each and every time I changed the day by one or the month by one. So, I've found if I was going on the cruise after us, Alamo would be best for all my ports....if I was going on the September cruise, Dollar and Thrifty would be best. I guess it all depends! Happy hunting, folks!

Devonne

Celebrity Infinity (Hawaii) - March 2005

Star Princess (Alaska) - September 2003

Regal Princess (Alaska) - August 2002

Has anyone had any experience with Hertz in Hilo? I have rented with Hertz in Hilo for my upcoming cruise because they have the rapid check out/in for gold members. With the limited amount of time in port and desire to see as much of the Volcano as we can we are hoping that it will save us time waiting in line.

Patty

Pride of Aloha

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;7;18;20;0;00&timezone=GMT-1000

Re: Alamo. They require you to call and confirm in order to use the shuttle? When do you do this, before you leave on the cruise? From the previous port?

Cunard Princess'83 - Caribbean

Royal Cruise Line '86 - Asia

Disney Magic Millenium Cruise

Sun Princess '00 Alaska

Golden Princess01Mediterranean

Grand Princess '02 W Caribbean

Grand Princess '02 E Caribbean

Mercury '03 Ca. Coastal

Constellation '03 Baltic Sea

Disney Magic '04 W. Caribbean

Jules

We used Alamo in every port. We never called to confirm beforehand. In Hilo (the first port) we were met with the van and the man had a clip board with all of the reservations and ours was there. In Maui we missed the shuttle but called and they were on the way. No problem at all in Kauai either.

We dont need a rental on Oahu but perhaps that would be the place to call if you needed a shuttle....the area around the port is congested and there is no good place to keep shuttles. But then, I dont think Alamo will pick up at port in Honolulu anyway.

NCL Star 1/04

What's Next? Alaska 2005 - Ask me about an official CC group!

Leaf Fan...thanks for the tip about the 6T code...reduced total 4 day rental by about $14...every little bit helps.

All the agencies seem to have similar price ranges for the dates we are sailing (December), so at this time have decided to go with Alamo.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

I just booked rental cars with Alamo in Hilo, Kahului, Lihue and Kona in August. I'm a Costco member and the rate was less than the famed 6T rate code. I also checked prices with the other majors (including using the AARP discount) and the Costco Alamo rate was the least expensive.

Sun Princess '00 Alaska

Mercury '03 Ca. Coastal

If you go to costco.com you can book the cars online. The rate code is BY and coupon code 675899.

Sun Princess '00 Alaska

Mercury '03 Ca. Coastal

Shakespeare-

We rented cars from Alamo in all those ports except Kona...decided to just walk around...just got back and we can only say good things about Alamo. We were even provided with two recommendations from one of their reps in Kahului as to where we could watch the Stanley Cup Finals....One in Kahului in case we were on that part of the island and also on further south if we decided to hit the beach first. Alamo made a believer out of me (was always either a Hertz or Avis user) and intend on renting with them in the future.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008080&cdt=2004;5;29;20;00;00&timezone=GMT-1000

Sailin' on the Wind 5/29/04

MidtheNight...did you have any problems with shuttles? We usually use Hertz, but in this case Alamo was a better deal. Did you have to call ahead for the shuttle service? We are still looking at what to do in Kona. Was there much near the pier?

Thanks for your help!

We just returned a couple of weeks ago from our Wind sailing of Hawaii. We used Alamo at nearly every stop. Had great luck. Good prices. Wonderful returns (speedy). Our only problem was they do NOT provide a shuttle from the pier to the Alamo office when you disembark the ship. So if you are staying on Oahu post cruise you will need to take a taxi to the Alamo office. That was kind of expensive with all of our luggage (the taxi charged extra). We weren't too happy about that one since there were shuttles from all of the other rental car companies. Otherwise Alamo was great.

Can't wait till 5/19/04 on the Wind

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;05;19;20;00;00&timezone=GMT-1000

shakespeare-

no problem in the least with the shuttles except in Kona. We had a reservation but so many people get off the ship then look for a rental car and the shuttles were filled to overflowing so we decided just to skip the car and have a walking day instead. Worked out to be a nice relaxing day.

luv2travel2beaches-

Alamo did have a shuttle at the pier in Honolulu but it was for the office in Waikiki at one of the hotels versus the Alamo at the airport. The airport location typically has the newer (and I've been told better maintained) cars - that's what I've been told...can't verify that one though. However, with us flying out didn't want the hassle of renting away from the airport. We simply arranged for the earliest possible debarkation from the ship (got off around 9-9:15am), got the luggage and hubby took the cab with our son while I waited at a shaded table near the shops with the luggage and our daughter. Only cost about $15/$16 bucks for the trip to the airport to pick up the car. Hubby was back within 25 minutes, parked in the lot for the Aloha Center shopping, loaded up the luggage and paid $0 for parking (due to the very short length of time). Worked out great for us and we didn't have to even comically attempt to fit 5 suitcases, 2 garment bags, two small carry on bags (stuffed with Absolute, coffee, souvenirs, etc) and four people into a cab. Since we were also staying in Waikiki anyway it was on the way back.

FYI to all - 1 very large suitcase, 2 large suitcases, 2 small suitcases, 2 garment bags and two small carry on bags fit perfectly into the Chevy Trailblazer as well as into a Jeep Grand Cherokee. We rented the one prior to the cruise and the other after the cruise. It's an awful lot of luggage but 4 people, 2+ weeks on a ship and in Hawaii tend to mean a bunch of luggage....so anyone traveling with a lot of luggage will love those two for their space.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008080&cdt=2004;5;29;20;00;00&timezone=GMT-1000

Sailin' on the Wind 5/29/04

Using an Entertainment book coupon I just got a mid size Alamo for 5 days for $175 in October - about 40 -50 dollars off even the 6T rate evrybody talks about - The book was only $10 but expires in November - however the back of the coupon says Dec. 31.

Ron

NCL PRIDE OF ALOHA Oct. 2004

SUN PRINCESS 2004 Caribbean

REGAL PRINCESS 2003 Europe

GOLDEN PRINCESS 2002 Canada New England

SUN PRINCESS 2002 Panama Canal

SUN PRINCESS 2002 Mexico

DAWN PRINCESS 2001 Caribbean

DAWN PRINCESS 2001 Caribbean

SEA PRINCESS 2001 Alaska

REGAL PRINCESS 2000 Mexico

REGAL PRINCESS 1999 Panama Canal