Do NOT use debit card at embarkation!!

redhd62330

My guess is to buy direct. Then you deal direct. You won't have to worry about another insurer going bk. You won't have to fight with that insurer. Yes, go direct...better yet, if you have a pre-existing condition, don't cruise.

WHAT A HORRIBLE RESPONSE. Don't GUESS - if you don't know - don't post.

Who are you to tell someone not to cruise with a pre-existing condition:confused:

Unreal.

EXAVINC - I hope someone who does KNOW will answer your question directly.

WHAT A HORRIBLE RESPONSE. Don't GUESS - if you don't know - don't post.

Who are you to tell someone not to cruise with a pre-existing condition:confused:

Unreal.

EXAVINC - I hope someone who does KNOW will answer your question directly.

Veronica - thanks for saying what I was thinking.......................:)))

Generally it is better to buy travel insurance from a reputable outside insurer,rather than the cruise company. That way, if the cruise company goes bankrupt, you will still be able to recover the monies invested in the trip. With most travel insurers, if the insurance is purchased within a certain time frame of booking the cruise, preexisting conditions will be covered as well. (As with everything, always read the fine print in the contract to be sure of what is covered and not).

There is so much misinformation floating around this board by "experts" who haven't read any of the policies.

I take Celebrities policy...I have pre-existing conditions...I am fully covered because my pre-existing conditions are stable, as defined by the policy. The fact is that almost all policies have a pre-existing clause about the condition being stable for some number of days prior to sailing.

Policies do have different maximums and limits and they have different features. I like the Celebrity policy because if I decide to cancel the day before the cruise because a bird flew by my house in the wrong direction, they will credit me with 75% of what I paid towards a different cruise in the next 365 days. Seriously, I can have last minute business come up and I don't mind losing 25% of my fare...but I don't want to lose 100%....that's important to me.

I don't' worry about Celebrity going bankrupt any more than I care about AIG going bankrupt or whoever is behind the other policies.

Long post.....to say....read the policy...read whatever policy you plan to take. Don't take anyone's word for what's in the policy...and certainly don't rely on advice in this forum on which policy to take.

My guess is to buy direct. Then you deal direct. You won't have to worry about another insurer going bk. You won't have to fight with that insurer. Yes, go direct...better yet, if you have a pre-existing condition, don't cruise.

The issue with buyign direct is if the cruis eline files for bankruptcy or goes out of business, their travel insurance is worthless. You will not have any coverage at all.

It is six of one, half dozen of the other.

OP, we just had a group on the Solstice and two people had to visit the Dr. - both received an itemized bill the day after they were in the Dr's office. They had to submit that bill to their own medical insurance first and provide a declination letter from their own medical insurance before Celebrity's insurance would pay. You should be able to get an itemized bill but it may take a few weeks. Get your TA involved - their job doesn't end when you get on the cruise ship, they should be assisting you with things like this.

You did a good thing warning people not to use a debit card for their shipboard expenses. This is not the only issue that come up with a debit card. One should always use a credit card when traveling not a debit card.

One way or the other, any cruise line will need a credit card to charge for something like this.

Archived