Any luck with credits for lower prices after booking?

cruisingirls

I just booked our 3/1 cruise last Sunday. As of this morning the price of our stateroom category has dropped. I booked direct with NCL and so far today I have made 3 phone calls and received 3 different stories from their reps:

1-The first rep I spoke to (though very pleasant!) didn't really make any sense. She insisted that even though the listing price on NCL's website was lower-the total cost of booking would be exactly the same. She tried to explain to me that the difference was made up in taxes. I was sure that this wasn't the case-but if it was it certainly sounded like false advertising! So I decided to call back and speak to someone else.

2-The second rep (again very pleasant) looked into the pricing difference and told me that if the new prices weren't promotional and for new bookings only then we would be able to receive the credit for the new rate. But of course when he looked into it further he found that those prices were for new bookings only. He encouraged me to keep and eye on the prices and if they do go lower I still may be able to get the credit if it wasn't a "promotional" rate. I figured that would be a long shot but I would keep trying.

3-This afternoon I decided to make one more call figuring that maybe 3rd time would be the charm. This rep wasn't so pleasant-he told me immediately that since we had paid in full that we would not be entitled to the credit. I explained to him what rep #2 had told me and he did say that he was correct that it was a promotional code, but since we had paid in full (of course we have it is 2 weeks out!) we would not receive a credit. Then he told me that I should be calling the representative that did my initial booking-who was not in today.

So now my head in spinning-I just want to know what the real "official" rule is. I can deal with whatever it is but I feel like I am getting the run around with 3 different answers!

Please share your experiences with getting credits for lower pricing.

usually, after final payment is due...they might do a "promo" for new bookings. since all my cruises, the prices have gone UP, i am just glad they don't raise my rates:D

they can be really strict about the phrase "new bookings only". one person reported, recently, that the to get the $100 OBC, the price was actually $100 more then he was paying.

if you took the price you are looking at and add in the port charges/taxes...how close to your rate is it? it's not false advertising, since it's said that "Fares shown are in U.S. dollars and are per person. Government taxes, fees, and fuel supplement are additional. "

I don't think you'll get anything either.

However, what about upgrading??? You might luck out with a better cat. for just a bit more or even close to what you paid.

In regards to the 1st rep. Don't let them convince you that the rest is made up in taxes or port charges, ins. etc. This happened to me twice when I upgraded. I went from an inside room to a balcony because the price was quite a bit lower due to a rate drop. When I called, the rep at first said something similar. When I broke down all the prices from the old cat., she realized I was correct and sent me through to a higher up who said the on-line price was correct and took care of it.

The next day dropped even more and I got a BA cat. I went through the same problem but that rep started getting rude when I tried to explain what had happened just the day before. I just asked for someone higher up, who of course said I was right.

Now again, you won't get anything in your current cat., but look for the upgrade.

Cruisingirls,

Is your cruise one of the Bahamas itineraries that was changed? If so, what is the deadline that NCL gave you for full refund cancellation? I am booked on the 4-13-08 cruise from NYC, and the itinerary change caused NCL to offer a full refund if canceled by 4-22-08.

With that information in hand, I watched the prices drop for my cabin grade (after, I assume, a number of people canceled, or maybe just the normal course of business, who knows?) about $250 per person. I emailed NCL, explaining that with the price drop, it would make all the sense in the world for me to cancel my trip, then rebook at the new, lower price unless they gave me the difference in cabin credit, and saved us all the trouble.

This way, NCL is giving me something of value (a cabin credit) but does not have to fork over any cash in the form of a refund, and risk the chance of losing a fare if I chose not to re-book. They still get to keep every dollar I have already paid, although I will get some (but not all) of that value back on the ship in the form of drinks, food, excursions, etc.

Its really win-win if they are willing to work with you.

With NCL as long as the new sales, promotions say "for new bookings only" you cannot reduce your fare or get an onboard credit. My TA could not even get NCL to lower our pricing when they lowered pricing without promotions. You would have better luck to upgrade your cabin as they are more willing to do that.

Archived