Princess moved us to a different cabin?

cruisingtrish

After all this, I'm having a double espresso! :D

Pia

Pia:

Can you make that something stronger:) My TA always indicates no upgrade because if you do a cabin assignment and ask for an upgrade it may be someplace that you wouldn't like to be. All of this can be very confusing to someone who hasn't cruised before and even if you have. Then you have the "guarantee" situation:D which I said never again, but if the price was right I'd probably do it again.

Carol: we have so many Primcess cruises, that we give the fairy quite a bit of leeway. Sometimes it's good, most times it doesn't happen. When we do a guarantee it's because we don't care for the available choices. We have never been disappointed with a Princess assignment.

Pia

Hi everyone,

I am here.....had to go over to a friends house yesterday.

OK here it goes I originally booked by my choice a Baja 706 I liked it because no neighbors across from me and close to the elevator;)

Then I actually looked at my documents on line and it stated I had a guarentee.....So I called my TA and she told me I had Riviera 747. She told me I could still have my original cabin Baja 706 but, the new cabin is a really great upgrade free from princess.

Now on my email documents it says category c.....I think thats where I confused all of you...I am sorry.:o

So do you think it is a good upgrade....I have never had a cabin on the back of a ship.:cool:

Sorry still very confused....Baja 706 is a balcony and the Riviera 747 is an oceanview..no balcony...not quite an upgrade? What does your original confirmation say? Does it say the original cabin number or does it say OV guarantee or balcony guarantee? Maybe if you give me the rate you paid, I can figure it out from there.

Trish, What I am confused about is the cabin category you originally booked. If you were looking at B 706 (that is in category BE Balcony Stateroom). Even if you booked a guarantee BE, they would not give you a category C stateroom as that is NOT an upgrade. It means you went from a balcony cabin to an outside with portholes. This is my confusion. So, which guarantee category did you actually book in the beginning?

OK you will have to excuse my I am blond and polish;) I called my TA again she tried saying I originally picked out a guarantee obstructed...No I didn't. I wrote down my original cabin and it was a ocean view with no cabin in front of us and close to the elevator. I don't know where that piece of paper is......but I just got done arguing with this TA pointing out that on all of my cruises I have never and will never book a guarantee.

So bottom line here is I should have booked through their website like I have in the past because I for one don't like being lied to and two I think I will start booking through another company. She kept asking me do you want to cancel...No what I'd like to do is smack some sense into her!:mad:

I am still booked in R747. I am going to look all day for that damn piece of paper and I will find my original cabin. All said and done...I will take the upgrade and hopefully like the end cabin! I will be on a cruise whats not to like!;)

Thanks Trish, so you didn't book a balcony stateroom or guarantee balcony then? So B706 could not have been the category she (notice I said she?) booked for you but instead a guaranteed obstructed view cabin. It was that referenece to originally booking B706 that really had me going. As if you book a guarantee balcony stateroom, they sure as heck are not going to downgrade you to a category C porthole cabin instead.

Yep, I agree, I would be shopping around for a new TA if this is what she did to you. Best of luck!

...I wrote down my original cabin and it was a ocean view with no cabin in front of us and close to the elevator. I don't know where that piece of paper is......but I just got done arguing with this TA pointing out that on all of my cruises I have never and will never book a guarantee.
Trish, OK this is getting us somewhere. You booked an OV cabin, NOT a balcony. So it could NOT have been B706. I have my money on E706 (maybe the TA said "e" and you heard "b"--happens all the time).

E706 is an OV, no lifeboat in front of the window, and right off the rear lobby (step out the door and you are facing the elevator lobby). This room is a cat. E (as well as being on Emerald deck, making it an E room number--which again helps to explain, perhaps, your confusion over category and cabin letters)

Cabin R747 is, IMO, a better cabin, as well as being an official upgrade. Your view out the portholes is better than the side view from E706 (while not a lifeboat, you do have 'stuff' in your view). Even better, you are about 30 seconds from the Terrace pool. There is a doorway leading to six or so stairs that take you right onto the pool level, and another flight takes you right up to the Horizon court terrace. Its a great location.

Regardless of whether or not you change TA's, be aware of a few things you should start doing with ANY TA on any future bookings:

1. Understand that Princess has a default of 'will accept an upgrade'--make sure you tell your TA if you will accept that or not. IF you do not want to be moved from your specifically booked cabin, you need to state "NO UPGRADE". And most experienced cruisers get it in writing from their TA.

2. Stop using scraps of paper--get a folder and keep all your cruise related documents in that. When a TA makes a booking, they will send you a confirmation. It contains your price, your booking number, the booked names, your room and/or booking type (GTY or not) among many other details. IF you had this confirmation from your TA you would not have to be arguing with her now. Always insist on this written confirmation--most TA's email it within minutes.

3. It is up to you to verify that ALL the booking information is correct when you receive your confirmation. TA's try to be accurate, but they are human and can make errors. It is up to you to verify that legal names are spelled correctly on the booking, birthdates are correct, price is what you agreed on, room booking is correct, which travel documents are needed, etc. Being blonde and/or Polish won't cut it at the pier if any of this is incorrect and you will be financially liable for the error.

R747 is better than the obstructed cabin on Emerald deck for sure and yes that is an upgrade. However, I am not aware of any cabin with no cabin ahead of it next to the elevator for an outside cabin. Maybe an inside but not an outside cabin. The only cabins with no cabins ahead of it would be the very front ones and they are not next to an elevator. Why don't you look at your princess.com personalizer and see exactly what cabin you are booked in and what category?

Cheryl thank you for all your help.:) And you made some very valid points I will be more responsible for my cruise stuff. :)

And if you don't want Princess to upgrade you ...even if you book on line you must call princess and let them know no upgrades. You want your cabin just the way it is....if thats what you like.:p

When we're about to book a cruise, we have a deck plan in front of us. The last two cruises we did state that we do not want an upgrade as we liked the location (we get insides so probably any change would be an upgrade, but not necessarily a desired one). Hubby gets one of those plastic document holders in which we put all confirmations, correspondence about the cruise, excursion confirmations, etc. In front, our last cruise was a couple of years ago, and I actually looked up something that was in that folder (knew exactly where it was and knew what info I needed would be there).

Archived