Is 200% Sgl Supp Normal For RCI?

Stevesan

I am attracted by VOTS itinerary out of Galveston, but quickly turned off by a 200% sgl supp for even an out of season (Jan/Feb), lowest category inside, and with both military and/or senior citizen qualifications.

I'm sure I've read that RCI offers decent rates for single pax, but I apparently don't know the secret. Can anyone advise me about a work around?

Hi, both Royal Caribbean and Celebrity are the higher supplements.

(Royal owns X).

Unless you find a good rate for 2 where you just feel the cost

is within your pricepoint, I don't know of any low supplements

on either line.

Rarely, usually for last minute cruises, RCCL will run offers for 150 or 175% single supplements on certain cruises, usually if they are having troubles filling up a cruise, but the norm is definitely 200%.

Thanks for the feedback.

It's such an attractive itinerary, four ports including both Roatan and Cozumel, I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and pay up. Fortunately, it's in my back yard so I don't have any hotel fees or air fare. Maybe my TA will give me a break. My last cruise she provided an on board gift voucher for a glass desk clock, it's value a whopping $12.95. Boy, was I thrilled!

My one and only upgrade was a first cruise on Celebrity from an Oceanview Cat 5 to a Sky Suite at check in. It seems most upgrades go to first timers. Maybe lightning can strike again!:p

Good luck with that upgrade fairy Steve. I've gotten tiny, in-category upgrades but that's it. After paying the full 200% SS on Princess I was pleasantly surprised that HAL charged a lesser percentage. I was looking for stuff out of Houston or Galveston since my daughter and her family lives in Kingsville but haven't had any luck yet. Guess I'll have to keep researching cruises :eek: (drat the bad luck LOL)

Yes, you CAN get good rates on RCI, and on Celebrity too ... especially if you are a senior.

I'm on Voyager of the Seas, sailing in 3 days (Feb.24,2008). I like the itinerary too; and will probably take it again after they re-open Costa Maya.

I reserved an inside cabin (NOT the lowest grade, either) for a price that was not bad, for a 7 day sailing in a cabin by myself.

I'm sure it was because the sailing was just 2 months away ... 60 days out is when the deals start popping up, if you watch for them.

Also, if you get on an RCI sailing, don't forget to purchase future sailing credits ... you can get $200 On Board Credit vouchers for each future sailing, if you do it onboard a sailing, and you don't have to say what future cruise you want to take ... you can wait to decide which cruise and still use the OBC.

Ryan, thanks for the feedback.

I'm retired and only sixty miles from Galveston. Since I don't much care about cabin location or category I can wait for last minute deals.

I agree that the base price for the cruise is fair. However, I was put off by the 200% (actually 190%, but who's quibbling?) rate, hoping there might be a way around it.

I like port intensive itineraries. To me the ship is just a floating hotel providing access to the adventures ashore.

Where do find the supplement rates for the various cruise lines/

I'm not aware of any one web site that summarizes the single supplement rates. I just go to each cruise line that interests me and do faux bookings for a double and then a single to get a price comparison.

The supplements vary not only by cruise line, but by itinerary, cabin category, and time of year within each cruise line. It's really a search and destroy mission trying to find them and doing a side-by-side comparison. :D

Roz

Be sure not to be so focused on trying to avoid a "200%" supplement that you end up missing some good cruises. If you book early, you can get some great deals even if you are paying double. RCI will be releasing their 2009/2010 itineraries in a month or 2 so be sure to check as soon as they are out. For the cruises I've been interested in, the prices have only gone up.

Because I booked my April cruise so early the price has gone up so much that if I were to buy it today, I would be paying $1000 more!

Ok. I think I understand. Now if I can just get my people to understand that I really don't mind sailing alone....

There are sites for supplements that I found, but not many. There are two that I know of on JOS and BOS for mid March, one is 11 day and the other is 6 day Western. Not great, but at least something.

One of my supervisors loves RCCL. That's the only line that he sails on. I want to try them, but Carnival and Holland America offer better rates for solo cruises. For example, I'm booked on a 14 day cruise on Holland America and my solo rate is only 130% for an outside cabin. I also noticed that the pricing of this cruise is gone up and on some websites, the double rate is close to what I'm paying for an inside.

Prehaps one day I luck out with RCCL and try them

Cruise fares are nearly as challenging as air fares.

The single supplement suffficiently complicates the scenario that it's often a crap shoot.

I recently learned from the RCI board that RCI prohibits TAs from discounting.

Why, then, would anyone use a TA? :confused:

I've booked a couple of cruises directly and was delighted with the assistance from the CSRs and the total experience of the direct process.

I'm happy to cut out the middle man whenever possible. That's just one more opportunity for someone to screw up your booking. ;)

Cruise fares are nearly as challenging as air fares.

The single supplement suffficiently complicates the scenario that it's often a crap shoot.

I recently learned from the RCI board that RCI prohibits TAs from discounting.

Why, then, would anyone use a TA? :confused:

I've booked a couple of cruises directly and was delighted with the assistance from the CSRs and the total experience of the direct process.

I'm happy to cut out the middle man whenever possible. That's just one more opportunity for someone to screw up your booking. ;)

Hi, Royal and Celebrity have been prohibiting TA's from discounting

for a couple of years now.

Some folks use a TA for many reasons, amongst them, TA's can

give their clients "gifts"...as in onboard credits, bottles of wine,

free insurance, etc.

And other people prefer the idea of a TA for any problems

or help needed.

I usually book directly with cruiseline as well.

And other cruiselines do allow discounts so folks use

TA's for that too.

RCI prohibits "discounts" but they can still give you money back. Mine gave me $50 for my first 3 night cruise and a bottle of wine on the last day. On a 7 night cruise, I think I would have gotten $200 for a balcony room. They can also give on-board credit, which is more-or-less money back. They do this to get your business, and that money comes out of their commission (I believe).

I would never use a TA that didn't give me some form of bonus/gift for a cruise. Having said that, I only used a TA for my first cruise. My last cruise, and the cruise I will be on in April I am going directly through RCI. I want to control my own reservation without having to contact a TA every time I want to change something. Though in the case of my upcoming cruise, I really was debating turning it over to my TA for the $$ before final payment. I don't plan on making any changes to my reservation before April, so it wouldn't have been a problem, I just never got around to transferring it. I'll probably transfer next year's cruise to my TA right before final payment so I can get some $ off.

RCI prohibits "discounts" but they can still give you money back. Mine gave me $50 for my first 3 night cruise and a bottle of wine on the last day. On a 7 night cruise, I think I would have gotten $200 for a balcony room. They can also give on-board credit, which is more-or-less money back. They do this to get your business, and that money comes out of their commission (I believe).

I would never use a TA that didn't give me some form of bonus/gift for a cruise. Having said that, I only used a TA for my first cruise. My last cruise, and the cruise I will be on in April I am going directly through RCI. I want to control my own reservation without having to contact a TA every time I want to change something. Though in the case of my upcoming cruise, I really was debating turning it over to my TA for the $$ before final payment. I don't plan on making any changes to my reservation before April, so it wouldn't have been a problem, I just never got around to transferring it. I'll probably transfer next year's cruise to my TA right before final payment so I can get some $ off.

I agree with being in control, that's worth fifty bucks to me.

But TWO HUNDRED? I'd certainly have to consider that. :)

We've already established what I am, now it's just quibbling over price!:D

Archived