Tours in Rio de Janeiro

Dunercruisers

We were on Royal Caribbeans 46 day cruise around South America on the Mariner of the Seas. In Rio we booked an 8 hour tour with Neyla. The original booking was for 10, with driver and Neyla. On the cruise we contacted her and added 10 more people, for a total of 20 - she was wonderfully accommodating!! Two more signed up at the last minute, so we were a total of 22. We had 2 modern,12 seat, air-conditioned vans, with driver and guide; Neyla in one and an excellent associate of hers in the other. Cost: $350 per van, $60 for cold soft drinks and water in the vans, plus entrance fees to Sugarloaf and Corcovado - with tip, about $100 per couple - excellent value!!!

Neyla was willing to show us anything we wanted within the 8 hour period. Afterwards, some thought that we should have only done Sugar Loaf or Corcovado. Choosing one would be a hard decison, but, doing both used up a lot of our time, due to waits for transportation up and down for both and driving across the city from one to the other. We had an interesting drive through parts of Rio and along Copacabana, but not much time to stop and explore. We stopped for snacks on the north end of Copacabana before heading back to the ship.

Neyla's personality is fantastic and we were laughing and learning the whole time. She loves her city and wants to share as much of it as she can with visitors. We had a great time, and highly recommend her to others.

Group photo of our tour with Neyla.

Neyla's web page, it is in Portuguese, but you can make out quite a bit of info. Her English is excellent. Email contact.

Neyla's web page, it is in Portuguese, but you can make out quite a bit of info. Her English is excellent. Email contact.
I had to go back and take a look at her web site. It is mainly in Portuguese, but when one clicks on the links for tours etc, there are English (and Spanish) translations below the Portuguese.

When we arrived in Rio, I'd made arrangements for Neyla to pick us up from the airport. For whatever reason, there were loooooong delays getting our luggage. It took well over 2-hrs from the time we landed until we exited. I was really worried that she'd given up on us. Neyla was still standing outside Customs with a big smile holding a sign with my name. I was SO relieved.

One big advantage we had, was that since we had a pre-cruise stay in Rio, we could get an early start. I think we were on the 2nd tram up Cordovaco with really no wait. We didn't have any problem seeing all the major attractions. It probably helped that we were in her car that can navigate easier than the larger vehicles. Next time we'll have more friends with us. We'll be in the bus.

My husband and I recently returned from a cruise in South America. On disembarcation in Rio we were met by the tour guide Neyla to take us sightseeing for the day and drop us off at the airport in the evening. We had been to Rio several years before and had seen the Christ the Redeemer statue and Sugar Loaf and asked her to take us other places. We decided to follow her suggestions of where to go and to see as much as we could in the one day that we had. We were very pleased with how it all played out. The weather was absolutely beautiful, so she took us in the mountains where there were fabulous views, to the beaches, downtown to see the new architecture, and to the charming area of Santa Teresa. Neyla is a very nice person, very knowledgeable, with a good sense of humor and very responsive to questions and e-mails. We would definitely use her services again and have recommended her to other friends traveling to Rio. Her address is neyla@tourguideneyla.com and her website is www.tourguideneyla.com.

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone have experience or input on tours in Rio? Claudia

We just got back from a cruise around South America. February 14 we were in Rio and our friends highly recommended we spend our day with Neyla Bontempo neyla@tourguideneyla.com or www.tourguideneyla.com

She was their tour guide two weeks before and they loved her!

I can't tell you how happy we were with Neyla! She met us at the port when we arrived at 8 am. There were 10 of us so the price was $35 per person. She had a large, air conditioned, clean van with a driver. She speaks excellent English, can't tell you enough about her wonderful city and wants you to leave with the feeling you can't wait to come back. We had an itinerary as to what we wanted to see and do and we were able to do it all and more. We had to wait for our tram to go up to Corcovado Mountain so she took us to a local market and bought us fruits and foods we have never seen before to try.

I can't say enough about her - she is an EXCELLENT guide and now a good friend!

• 2 weeks later...

We were in Rio for the second time in April 2008 and had arranged a tour with Neyla through her web site. She was wonderful and is in touch by email still. We would highly recommend her. We had done Corcovado and Sugar Loaf before and asked her to mix things up a bit and show us "her" Rio. She did and we had a delightful time. She speaks good English and had a great sense of humor. We also stayed at the Intercontinental and felt very safe there. It is a bit distant from the other beaches but very clean and the staff was very accomodating. Neyla's tour was worth every penny and then some.

Good luck and have a wonderful cruise.

Colette :D

We used Marcio (marciolg@gmail.com) in February and it was an absolute delight. Educated in the US, mother a famous Opera singer, he was exceptionally knowledgeable and spoke English better than most Americans. Along with the usual sights (he is a picture taking expert, our pictures were fantastic) I also asked him if it was possible to visit a 'favella', the ghettos that exist in the hills above ALL districts, which we did. It was fascinating, but probably not for the feint of heart. He told us that they only killed each other, not to take a picture of any particular person and we moved around without any worries. These are always in the news and we were curious to see one. You get an idea of how the other half lives! It was not the least bit intimidating to us, but, well, when we were at the Brazilian side of the Iguassu Falls we ignored Greatam and all the advice not to cross the Parana River to visit Ciudad Del Este, Paraguay, and were glad we did. Closest thing to a lawless, capitalistic, smuggling haven maybe in the world. We were glad to see it for ourselves and it only took about 45 minutes to get there on a Saturday morning from the Sheraton in the Iguassu Park.

Then we asked Marcio the second day if we could take him to a restaurant where the locals eat. He asked us if he wanted to go to his favorite restaurant or his mothers. We picked his mothers, good choice. We were staying at the Caeser Park Hotel in Ipanema and he grew up in a neighboring district where the restaurant was and we were the only non-locals there. Fantastic food at a most reasonable price.

We would use Marcio any time we were in Rio.

Have fun.

Larinconada

• 3 weeks later...

I have also recently been on a wonderful tour with Rafael Torres Lopes (Rafa), an extremely amusing and knowledgable carioca (Rio native) who can show you the major sights with unique insight, as well as many charming and beautiful off-the-beaten-path spots------and a skilled phtographer for your precious souvenir photos to boot. I highly recommend his services to anyone wanting to get to know Rio, or to know it better. You will not just be hiring a guide; you will be making a friend. As mentioned above, his contact email is: donrafainrio@yahoo.es When you send him an email, you will no doubt promptly receive a long, detailed, amusing response.

tel: (city code 21) 9469-6562

or take a look at his blogs to get to know him better: http://donrafaguestsinrio.blogspot.com/

http://braziliantours.blogspot.com/

Enjoy Rio !

we just returned and used Laticia@rioplus.com for an 8 hour tour in Rio. We switched from 2 to 6 of us about 2 weeks before our tour and she had a comfortable a/c van with driver. 2 of us also used her for a samba show at night and she was right on time etc. She was one of the best tour guides we have ever had.

Leticia and Valeria run Rioplus. I had one on day1 and the other on day 2.

Leticia lived in Minnesota for one year as an exchange student. Valeria also used to live in USA, where I don't remember but it was more than a year. Both speak excellent english and conduct tours for international groups as well as take Brazilians on tour to North America and Europe. They are full time tour professionals and show passion in their work. I would use them again if I go back to Rio.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Give Martha Vasconcellos: MARTHA.GUIDEINRIO@GLOBO.COM a shout! We arranged a day long tour with her for 28 on Valentines Day 2009 during a 49 day sojourn around South America aboard the Carnival Splendor.

Martha is a vivacious, knowledgeable, interesting & personable Carioca with a love for her work! Our group saw a LOT more than similar tours from the ship & other private tours. In fact, we were caught up in an impromptu Carneval parade down by the beaches, so joined the 3000 or so students as they Samba'd their way down the road - UNFORGETTABLE!

We saw all the obligatory sights, as well as costume shop & Sambodrome preps taking place the week prior to the fantastic event. Toward the end of the day we split up into groups so some could shop, while others experienced a cool one down at the Copacabana. Total cost P/P was about $60, including entrance fees & minibus transportation. Unbeatable!

Martha's web site may or may not be up yet: PRIVATETOURSINRIO.COM

In any event, we give her a 5 Star Top Rating; AND, as a bonus - her English is great as well. You will be smiling long after your tour in Rio ends.

Give Martha Vasconcellos: MARTHA.GUIDEINRIO@GLOBO.COM a shout! We arranged a day long tour with her for 28 on Valentines Day 2009 during a 49 day sojourn around South America aboard the Carnival Splendor.

Martha is a vivacious, knowledgeable, interesting & personable Carioca with a love for her work! Our group saw a LOT more than similar tours from the ship & other private tours. In fact, we were caught up in an impromptu Carneval parade down by the beaches, so joined the 3000 or so students as they Samba'd their way down the road - UNFORGETTABLE!

We saw all the obligatory sights, as well as costume shop & Sambodrome preps taking place the week prior to the fantastic event. Toward the end of the day we split up into groups so some could shop, while others experienced a cool one down at the Copacabana. Total cost P/P was about $60, including entrance fees & minibus transportation. Unbeatable!

In any event, we give her a 5 Star Top Rating; AND, as a bonus - her English is great as well. You will be smiling long after your tour in Rio ends.

Happy to see your post

Martha was th best guide we had when we did our around South America cruise on board Oceania in Jan, 09

I have also recently been on a wonderful tour with Rafael Torres Lopes (Rafa), an extremely amusing and knowledgable carioca (Rio native) who can show you the major sights with unique insight, as well as many charming and beautiful off-the-beaten-path spots------and a skilled phtographer for your precious souvenir photos to boot. I highly recommend his services to anyone wanting to get to know Rio, or to know it better. You will not just be hiring a guide; you will be making a friend. As mentioned above, his contact email is: donrafainrio@yahoo.es When you send him an email, you will no doubt promptly receive a long, detailed, amusing response.

tel: (city code 21) 9469-6562

or take a look at his blogs to get to know him better: http://donrafaguestsinrio.blogspot.com/

http://braziliantours.blogspot.com/

Enjoy Rio !

I agree totally with the above - Rafa (and his equally wonderful charismatic assistant Marcone) are simply the best!

Ros

• 3 weeks later...
How was her samba show the ships cost is very expensive.do you remember the cost/person and how good was the show

Our Samba show turned out to be a bust. Our guide arranged for a night for us at Rio Scenarium. We arrived at the bar but the special table was not available for the show (had been given to someone else) and we left. Cost was Reservation Fee R$25/ person and entrance fee without any drinks was another R$25/ person. Our guide who arranged fully refunded us

Recommended that you write her asking her for recommendations- martha.guideinrio@globo.com

She provided us with an excellent three day tour of Rio at a very reasonable cost. First day we were a group of four and due to the area covered she added a van with a driver. The next two days, we were only two and to keep the cost down we used public transportation. Her hourly rate was US$18.00

I have just booked Marcio (marciolg@gmail.com) for next February. His price is very good and a bit cheaper than others I have had quotes from. He has sent me plenty of ideas on what we can do in Rio and he has suggested that we maybe play it by ear when we meet up. I have in fact booked him for a day and a half and may well take another couple with us. His price is for the van and himself and not dependant on the number of couples on the tour.

• 7 months later...

Based on several previous recommendations on Cruise Critic, we (a group of 9) hired Neyla to be our tour guide in Rio in March 2010. She also provided us with transfer from airport to cruise terminal when we arrived.

We are totally satisfied with the services provided by Neyla. She is professional, knowledgeable, considerate and resourceful. It was a rainy day when we had our full day tour of Rio. She adjusted the itinerary so that we visited Christ the Redemption in the afternoon when there was a break in the cloudy sky. She wanted to ensure that we had a good view of Rio, high from the Statue.

There was a demonstration close to the cruise terminal on our tour day, many streets were closed to traffic. Somehow, Neyla was able to take us to all the scenic spots, with a couple to surprise added AND managed to get us back to the cruise terminal on schedule.

We all enjoyed our tour in Rio, many thanks to Neyla. We highly recommend her if you are considering hiring a private tour guide. Her contact information is as follows:

Neyla Bontempo

Tel. Tim 55 21 8187-0773

Nextel. 55 21 7823-7814 ID 24*30478

MSN: neylabon2008@hotmail.com

Email: neyla@tourguideneyla.com

It's obvious from the above responses that the tour guides in Rio are an excellent bunch, not one single complaint. We hooked up with Rafael Torres last month and had an unforgettable experience. He's really an exceptional individual. In general I found the people in Brazil to be very friendly and helpful. It's definitely on my return list. The Amazon is calling me.

It's obvious from the above responses that the tour guides in Rio are an excellent bunch, not one single complaint. We hooked up with Rafael Torres last month and had an unforgettable experience. He's really an exceptional individual. In general I found the people in Brazil to be very friendly and helpful. It's definitely on my return list. The Amazon is calling me.

Yes I echo your sentiment about Rafael Torres. What a great guy and so enthusiastic about his beautiful Rio in particular and Brazil in general. We had a fabulous time with him in his incredible city.

His contact details for those asking the question is:- donrafainrio@yahoo.es and just look at his blog:-

http://donrafaguestsinrio.blogspot.com.

I hope this helps anyone looking for a great guide in Rio. I don't think you will do better and his prices are excellent too.

Archived