Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

Will my oldish Verizon phone work in Vancouver for voice and text?

I have a prepaid plan in the US. Do I need an additional plan for it to work?

Work yes, cost a lot without buying additional international plans yes. I suggest you contact Verizon for full details, as only they can explain their plans.

Will my oldish Verizon phone work in Vancouver for voice and text?

I have a prepaid plan in the US. Do I need an additional plan for it to work?

You'll have to buy an international or canadian plan from Verizon for Canada . The same as Canadians have to buy an American plan for the US.

Just thought I would pass along that Grouse Mountain is now running a shuttle from downtown - Canada Place is one of the stops - its free provided you buy a lift ticket - in checking the Grouse Website which they just updated and I havent found all the links it doesnt show return times but they are probably there some where.

http://www.grousemountain.com/location-hours

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks for this useful info. My DH and I will be in Vancouver on July 22-23 and Grouse Mountain is on the to-do list (weather permitting).

We want to buy the day pass for transportation. We will buy them in the airport so we can use them to get to our hotel. We will also need them the next day to go to Capilano Suspension Bridge and other places. Can I buy both days on the day I arrive or will I need to find a pharmasave or 7 Eleven the next day and buy that day's passes then? And if I need to do that where is the closest place I can buy them near the Pan Pacific? Thank you!!!

Susan, you can pre-purchase your day passes at the airport. Just make sure you validate them on your first bus ride or at the blue validation machines at the skytrain stations.

Edited by ell52

Susan, you can pre-purchase your day passes at the airport. Just make sure you validate them on your first bus ride or at the blue validation machines at the skytrain stations.

Thanks so much Ell!!!

Just by way of a footnote, the all-day transit passes and fare-saver books of tickets can be purchased at any number of convenience stores and news vendors through out Vancouver. In my mind's eye the closest vendors to the Pan Pacific would be the smoke shop in the retail complex between Canada Place and the Pan Pacific and the news vendor in Waterfront Station.

I, too, have been wondering about the all day transit pass. Putterdude, thanks for posting the locations where they can be purchased. What is the cost of a one day pass purchased in the city (not at the airport) and what are the transportation options for using it? Is it possible to purchase a multi-day pass? Thanks so much to all of you from Vancouver who are so kind to answer all of our questions.

I, too, have been wondering about the all day transit pass. Putterdude, thanks for posting the locations where they can be purchased. What is the cost of a one day pass purchased in the city (not at the airport) and what are the transportation options for using it? Is it possible to purchase a multi-day pass? Thanks so much to all of you from Vancouver who are so kind to answer all of our questions.

Day passes are usable on all forms of translink (buses, skytrain, seabus) through all zones.

Here's a link for info to --> Translink Day Passes

I understand I can buy a pass for more than 1 day at a time, which is great! When we use the pass on the first trip we need to validate it, how do we do this? Just by presenting it the first time or do we need to bring it to the driver's attention. And do we wait and validate each day's pass on the day of use or all at the same time? Sorry I'm sure I could ask this when & wheere we buy them; but you are all so helpful I am counting on your quick responses. Can't believe we'll be in Vancouver in less than 3 weeks. It's been at least 18mo since I posted my first ??s on this board.

A multi-day pass is not available (except as a monthly pass and I am sure that is not what you are interested in) but you can purchase multiple all-day passes for $9 each. You validate one each day by scanning it at one of the scanners in a Skytrain station or at the fare box when you board the a bus and then each time there after.

You can buy multiple day passes at the 7-11 in the airport. When you first use them, you validate them in the machine on the bus, or using the validator on the platform for Skytrain. Picture of validator: https://picasaweb.google.com/vancouvercruise/CanadaLineYVRToCanadaPlaceWaterfrontStation#5371839638881333442

Only the ones on the older Expo/Millenium Lines (and Seabus) are blue, these new ones are stainless steel.

The other option for you, is to buy a book of 10 two-zone tickets ($31.50), each one is good for 90 minutes, and just use them as needed. Also available at the 7-11 at the airport.

Any further questions on transit to downtown, let me know. I use it every day......

Also available at the 7-11 at the airport.

I am certain the Scottbee just overlooked the fact the the FareSaver tickets are also alvailable at the Pharmasave at the airport.

The FareSaver tickets have value for the occasional user of transit or a larger group that is using the Canada Line to go to and from YVR but for a tourist/person who is going to be off and on transit a lot in one day the all-day pass is by far the better value.

Both the 7-11 and Pharmasave are located in the domestic section of the airport, the Pharmasave on level 1 before security and the 7-11 on the 2nd level, again before security.

Having been born and lived for some 60 years in Vancouver and now just live an hour away....I am very familiar with my home town......if I can help please ask away.:)

Just by way of a footnote, the all-day transit passes and fare-saver books of tickets can be purchased at any number of convenience stores and news vendors through out Vancouver. In my mind's eye the closest vendors to the Pan Pacific would be the smoke shop in the retail complex between Canada Place and the Pan Pacific and the news vendor in Waterfront Station.

Putterdude, thank you so much for the information! For some reason I thought I could only get them at the pharmasaves and 7-Elevens.

I am certain the Scottbee just overlooked the fact the the FareSaver tickets are also alvailable at the Pharmasave at the airport.

The FareSaver tickets have value for the occasional user of transit or a larger group that is using the Canada Line to go to and from YVR but for a tourist/person who is going to be off and on transit a lot in one day the all-day pass is by far the better value.

Available anywhere you see the 'FareDealer' sign. I normally suggest the 7-11 as a US Tourist will know what they're looking for; as Pharmasave is a Canadian chain.

As for [2 zone] Faresavers vs Day passes, they're both great deals. It really depends on the makeup of your group, and how much traveling you intend to do within Vancouver. If on your 1st or last day all you're doing is going to or from the airport, Faresavers are probably a better deal; if you're doing a couple of days of traveling or venturing all the way out to Surrey/South Delta/Tsawwassen (zone 3), maybe it's day-passes.

Either way, they're both a much better deal than buying a single use ticket, and especially buying that at the airport where there's an extra $5 tacked onto the fare.

Just remember with a single ticket (bought on the bus/skytrain/sebus, or a faresaver ticket), it's good for as many rides within 90 minutes from the time you validate it. For example, you could validate it at the airport, ride Skytrain downtown, drop your luggage at your hotel, pop over to Seabus, then the 236 bus and be at Capilano suspension bridge or Grouse Mt all on a single ticket.

I just booked the Comfort Inn & Suites Downtown Vancouver for our cruise, May 19-20 - almost 10 months away. Most hotels showed "no availability" for that date so I went ahead and booked now. Is something (besides a cruise) going on then?:confused:

May 21 is a stat holiday in Canada (Victoria Day); possibly why.

Ahhhhhh....makes sense. Thanks!:) It doesn't change anything, but I feel better knowing there is a reason for it.

I don't ordinarily do this but if you would care to send me an email at the address in my signature I can provide you with a few details about the hotel....

We are travelling from Seattle to Vancouver via Amtrak on Sunday 8/21/11. There are 18 of us (Adults and Children) We are staying at the Marriott Limited on W Pender St. What is the best way to get from the Amtrak station to the hotel. I have searched this thread, but did not see any groups doing this. The Taxi's are limited to 4 people and the vans are 4 and a wheelchair. We have a 2, 5,11,11,11,15 year old children.

I found that bus 19 goes near the hotel, but was not sure how that works with luggage.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated

Hi am arriving Vancouver 4th Sep cruising out on volendam on 7th

Am staying at Sandman Suites on Davie .

Believe Monday is Public Holiday ??? what is open on public holiday Thanks in advance:)

Almost everything from a retail and service point to view will be open. About the only things that will be closed will be banks, government offices and private offices. From a tourist's point of view you will hardly know it is a holiday. Enjoy your visit and your cruise.