Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

My final thoughts on this.

We have provided the person posing the question with a number of options - they can now pick or ignore our thoughts but hopefully they will have a great stay in our wonderful city.

Cheers

Dennis

The HOHO's are a great way to see a lot of the city in a little time. They all do a perimeter tour of Stanley park and the Vancouver Trolley offers a separate but more intense tour of the park.

I had hoped to go with Tour Guys on the full day I have in Vancouver, but they won't be offering anything that day after all. So it sounds like we will be doing the HOHO. I take it there are different buses that offer this? Where do I catch the Vancouver Trolley, if this is the one that has live narration?

We will be staying at the Best Western downtown on Drake.

1. You can take the Canada Line Skytrain (subway), costing $2.50/ea from downtown to the airport. A lot cheaper than a $35 taxi.
  2. Taxis should be outside the cruise port. Often during busy times there can be a short wait (some people report up to 1/2 hr, but I've never seen it that long)
  3. If you're looking for a cheap hostel, the deal downtown is the YWCA Hotel (seriously). http://ywcahotel.com/ In a safe quiet part of downtown.
  4. Definitely doable; and again to save money I would recommend taking the city bus, it's inexpensive and Vancouver has a great transit system. if you're going to spend a day exploring, an all day ticket is $9, or $2.50-$5.00 for single tickets depending on how far you go.

Thanks for the helpful suggestions. You feel that the subway will be running that early on a Sunday morning? I certainly like the price, and I think we'll be able to manage our luggage, although that remains to be seen. :)

The YWCA was recommended in my travel book, and I'm checking into it. Any thoughts about the Buchan Hotel (another hostel-y type place recommended in my book)?

Another thumbs up for the YWCA Hotel - before we moved to Vancouver it's where we stayed on vacation here. Next door to the Georgian Court, around the corner from the Hampton - full kitchens available if you want to make your own breakfasts etc. and profits go to support a worthy organization.

Taxi to downtown from cruise port - if your luggage is manageable you can walk off the ship right into downtown! From Canada Place to YWCA on foot is less than 1 mile: Google Map

HOHO inside Stanley Park - if you're repositioning you might be outside the operating dates of the $10 park shuttle (Jun 1 - Sep 3) http://www.vancouvertrolley.com/tour/stanley-park-shuttle

The YWCA was recommended in my travel book, and I'm checking into it. Any thoughts about the Buchan Hotel (another hostel-y type place recommended in my book)?

Thanks for the tip on SP HOHO. I did investigate, and the website had both June 1 and June 3 listed as the first day it runs. I emailed them, and they confirmed it begins on June 1 (and fixed the website). Hooray, because we'll be there June 1 and 2.

Buchan is a very old property in comparison to the YWCA - located on Robson in the heart of the shopping and eating district on Robson. You are much closer to Stanley Park.

It is not one that I see mentioned here on these boards so I don't know very much about it - I am sure that some of other locals will be along with some views.

Cheers

Dennis

My final thoughts on this.

We have provided the person posing the question with a number of options - they can now pick or ignore our thoughts but hopefully they will have a great stay in our wonderful city.

Cheers

Dennis

I'm sorry I seem to have inadvertently caused some conflict with my lodging question. I appreciate everyone's input and suggestions, even though there is disagreement. That always happens when people share opinions, so all is good.

I see the point about paying a little extra to stay at a nicer hotel, but since our trip involves visits to Las Vegas, Los Angeles, San Diego, Vancouver, and a 5-night cruise (stopping in 2 other cities), I'm happy to save $10-15 per night wherever I can, as long as lodgings are safe and clean, in order to stretch our dollars for other things.

I agree that the YWCA at this time of year (we visit Vancouver June 1-3) is getting on the higher side, at least the room with a private bath is (298, tax inclusive, vs. 235 for shared bath). I'm looking at the Buchan Hotel for 263 for a triple with private bath. I'm thinking I like the location of this better than the Y, for the activities we want to do.

(All the prices I collected are in Canadian Dollars, tax inclusive, for 2 nights accommodation, for 3 people.)

Thanks again to everyone who gave input. I look forward to visiting Vancouver!

Edited by movingimages
typo

Thanks for the helpful suggestions. You feel that the subway will be running that early on a Sunday morning? I certainly like the price, and I think we'll be able to manage our luggage, although that remains to be seen. :)

The 1st train to the airport leaves just before 5am http://tripplanning.translink.ca/hiwire?.a=iScheduleLookupSearch&LineAbbr=980

Handling your luggage is easy. Elevators at the stations, and the trains are wheel on wheel off.

As for the Buchan I have no direct experience with it, so I can't comment.

Yes we locals have a difference of opinion on some local tourist related options.

One thing about the Y at those dates - there is a good chance that our hockey team could still be in the Stanley Cup playoffs - likely the semi`s and the Y is only a couple of blocks away from the arena and there is also a very noisy and vibrant sport bar next door at the Sandman so the Buchan won`t likely be as noisy and the street will be quieter.

You are close to the Big Bus and HOHO stops and a real smorgasboard of restaurants so the Buchan might work for you.

Cheers

Dennis

Yes we locals have a difference of opinion on some local tourist related options.

One thing about the Y at those dates - there is a good chance that our hockey team could still be in the Stanley Cup playoffs - likely the semi`s and the Y is only a couple of blocks away from the arena and there is also a very noisy and vibrant sport bar next door at the Sandman so the Buchan won`t likely be as noisy and the street will be quieter.

You are close to the Big Bus and HOHO stops and a real smorgasboard of restaurants so the Buchan might work for you.

Cheers

Dennis

Many of the reviews of Buchan did mention how quiet it is. That's a plus! Thanks again for all of your help. You Vancouver-ites are really nice! :)

The 1st train to the airport leaves just before 5am http://tripplanning.translink.ca/hiwire?.a=iScheduleLookupSearch&LineAbbr=980

Handling your luggage is easy. Elevators at the stations, and the trains are wheel on wheel off.

As for the Buchan I have no direct experience with it, so I can't comment.

Thanks for the train schedule link and the scoop on the situation at the station for luggage. You've been so helpful, and I'm really looking forward to visiting your city!

... Where do I catch the Vancouver Trolley, if this is the one that has live narration?

We will be staying at the Best Western downtown on Drake...

Nearest stop is the Quality Inn at Drake & Howe, just one block from your hotel.

Although since they split the route into two loops during high season it might be more efficient to go to the Cascadia (Hornby, between Drake & Davie, about 2&1/2 blocks) if you want to do the Red Loop (Stanley Park & West End) rather than Blue (Yaletown/Chinatown/Gastown & Granville Island).

Right now the route map on the website is still Winter; end of April should see the Summer one appear with the loops shown - don't worry, it's not very complicated and there's no extra charge for the tour.

The Cascadia is still closed and isn't scheduled to reopen as a Marriott Residence Inn until some time this summer. I see the construction work from my condo and will post when it reopens.

Cheers

Dennis

Dennis, I will have a 6:30am departure out of YVR following a cruise and a day in town. I will be staying in a downtown hotel (TBD). It looks like the Canada Line doesn't start early enough to comfortably get to the airport so I will take a cab. What time do I need to be at the airport and what time do I need to leave the downtown hotel. Traffic shouldn't be an issue early, early in the morning. Thanks.

It should only take about 30 minutes to the airport - I don't fly so the airport is not my forte - but either ScottBee or Putterdude should be along shortly and can give a better answer.

Cheers

Dennis

Dennis, I will have a 6:30am departure out of YVR following a cruise and a day in town. I will be staying in a downtown hotel (TBD). It looks like the Canada Line doesn't start early enough to comfortably get to the airport so I will take a cab. What time do I need to be at the airport and what time do I need to leave the downtown hotel. Traffic shouldn't be an issue early, early in the morning. Thanks.

it depends on where your flight is to. If it's to the United States, you'll really want to be at the airport by about 5:00 at the VERY LATEST as you need to pre-clear USA immigration and customs prior to being allowed in the US pre-clearance wing of the airport (the E gates)

Not getting much in the way of insight over on the Princess forum so I thought I'd check here as I've gotten fabulous advice from this thread! We're going to Alaska on the Island Princess in May - wondering about how strictly they check for adult beverages as they seem to be a bit relaxed (especially in Fort Lauderdale) about enforcing the official position.

Is it possible to bring more than 1 bottle of wine per person on?

What about a pint of brandy - better to put in checked bags or carryon - or don't even attempt?

TIA - appreciate any insight!

Is this possible??

Rent a bike to ride around Stanley Park, eat lunch somewhere in the park (suggestions please for where), then continue on bike along sea wall to Granville Bridge and lock up bike and walk around the Granville Market and then bike it back to the bike store near entrance to Stanley Park. How much riding in miles would this be and how much time to do all of this?

Might be crazy huh?

~Marilyn

This may have been too dumb of a question to respond to, but I will cross my fingers & hope that some kind soul will try to answer it anyway.

I've read that there is more than 1 HOHO bus for Vancouver, the Vancouver Trolley is the one with live narration (instead of a recording). I want to try to take this bus instead of the others - what is their route or what would be the closest place for me to get to a pick up point? I am staying at the Best Western on Drake.

This may have been too dumb of a question to respond to, but I will cross my fingers & hope that some kind soul will try to answer it anyway.

I've read that there is more than 1 HOHO bus for Vancouver, the Vancouver Trolley is the one with live narration (instead of a recording). I want to try to take this bus instead of the others - what is their route or what would be the closest place for me to get to a pick up point? I am staying at the Best Western on Drake.

Actually I did already answer you... I suggest you Follow a thread that you add a question to, so you'll get an email summary with the text of the replies in. To tweak the old quote "There's no such thing as too dumb a question, but not listening when you get an answer..." ;)

Actually I did already answer you... I suggest you Follow a thread that you add a question to, so you'll get an email summary with the text of the replies in. To tweak the old quote "There's no such thing as too dumb a question, but not listening when you get an answer..." ;)

Gosh, I have been watching the thread! I must have missed it - or my browser is acting up again?

Thank you martincath for your help.

Edited by CanWeGoYet?

Greetings and thank you for this very informative thread!

3) Where to stay? We do not require anything fancy, as we don't plan on spending much time in hotel room. (We stayed in Govt. hostels, family room, in England and were quite happy.) We do want to minimize transportation costs and be able to leave our luggage at hotel on Friday after debarkation.

I have stayed in the Saint Claire Hostel On Richards street in Vancouver.

I thought the people there were extremely friendly and helpful. The HOSTEL is very clean. Its in a OLD old hotel.

St Clair Hotel - Hostel

stclairvancouver.com/

St Clair Hotel - Hostel. 577 Richards St., Vancouver, BC - Tel: 1-800-982-0220.

Have a GREAT time in Vancouver!! :)