Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

PD - as for coach seats - only see them when I am heading for either the dining car or the lounge car but they seem to be fairly roomy -and as for the biz class I believe the gentlemen probably lives in Seattle and perhaps isn't fully aware of what they are doing here - it could be that the local agent/conductor has chosen to do things that way - I still have to pick up the tickets at the station so will try and clarify that one.

Cheers

Dennis

Alright .... now we have a little more information .... thank you!

Well, it sounds as though our Business Class from Bellingham to Seattle will be cancelled, too. I had specifically asked the agent who called us about the VAC-BEL Business Class change if the BEL-SEA was also changed ... and she said "no" --- as did the agent I spoke to when I called their 1-800#.

Great news about the food car ... I've always wanted to try the Ivar's Chowder ... but we are usually boarding in Eugene early in the morning!

Another question: we will be in Vancouver in September, also. We have made tentative reservations at the Comfort Inn Downtown on Granville ... any comments? We can either spend the night at the La Quinta airport or at the Comfort Inn Downtown ... as we'll be arriving very early in the morning -- we will have a whole day and the next morning in Vancouver.

I would have trouble recommending either of the hotels. La Quinta at the airport is really going to put you out of the swing of things, about 30 to 35 mins from downtown and a bit awkward to get to from the Amtrak Station (Pacific Central Station). The Comfort Inn is a redo of a much older hotel, I know as I was very involved in its makeover. It is in the heart of the entertainment district which can get very rowdy and noisy when the bars let out in the early morning, I would hesitate to stay there myself and definitely not with my wife. As an alternative you may care to look at the Quality Inn in the 1300 block Howe St or the Days Inn at 921 W. Pender St.

While I usually also recommend the Quality Inn on Howe just a FYI - the area around the hotel is a gigantic construction zone - there are 6 construction cranes within a two block radius of the hotel and both the front and rear rooms are impacted - I know this as I can see the hotel and cranes from my living room as I am typing this post - although if it is only one night and a weekend the construction usually doesn't work on weekends.

Cheers

Dennis

Oh well ... I guess we need to reconsider our hotel selections!

Our September visit will not involve Amtarak in Vancouver (only from San Diego) ... just flying into YVR and stepping on the ship the next day. Now our May trip from Vancouver on Amtrak ....

I attended the Outdoor adventure travel, bike and golf shows yesterday at the convention center and lo and behold Amtrak had a booth there promoting the Amtrak Cascades so I was able to get the scoop on the change of train equipment -the gentleman I spoke with was very helpful especially after I told me how many Amtrak rewards point I have and about my upcoming trip to FLL. He has worked the trains and knows the equipment.

So here we go.

1. Why the change - equipment is being refurbish - updated lounge cars etc.

2. Late March to late May are the dates.

3. Coach cars all have 2 seats on each side - he stated he thinks those seats are actually better than the business class seats. Can help with this as I haven`t use this equipment.

4. As for boarding - business class is only loaded first in Seattle - not in Vancouver

5. THERE WILL BE FOOD SERVICE AVAILABLE.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

UT--Thanks for checking this out.

We decided to try Priceline with the airport location and won:

09/13/2012

3* Sheraton Vancouver Airport

$65

$88.51 with tax

the Sheraton website shows the hotel to be $227.42 (before taxes) with AAA.

Edited by hello

We decided to try Priceline with the airport location and won:

09/13/2012

3* Sheraton Vancouver Airport

$65

$88.51 with tax

the Sheraton website shows the hotel to be $227.42 (before taxes) with AAA.

Sounds like a win to me.:)

Another Amtrak update: DH spoke with agent this afternoon to inquire about changing our reservation due to the change in coaches. He was told that the switch would occur on May 8 after the morning run. So, it will begin with the evening train from Vancouver on May 8. If you are planning on going out that morning you will be fine with business class reservations.

Since we don't do early, early mornings very well we went ahead and switched to the 11:30 bus. We'll get plenty of train time when we go from Seattle to Chicago.

What I cannot figure out is why the bus costs more than the train. Go figure!

Yes Putterdude ... one more thing to cross off of our list!!

Big Tiger Fan ... I'm a little confused. Our reservations are for the May 6 PM train from Vancouver, and we were already called to say that there was a change in the equipment ... so no business class. They did say that there was NO change in equipment for our Bellingham-Seattle ride on the morning of May 9 ... so we will (so they say) have business class that morning. I wonder if it's just the PM train that is changing equipment ... not the morning one??

Our Disney cruise starts in Vancouver, for Priceline hotel bidding, what areas would you suggest? It looks like #4 Downtown and #5 Granville might be reasonably close to the pier but I'm only guessing and would appreciate input. We'd probably do some walking/sightseeing, is one area better than another from that point of view? Thanks, Ele

I see they have adjusted their maps recently, which is good. Definitely bid in the #4- Downtown Zone. I don't recommend the #5-Granville Entertainment Zone as it can be a bit rowdy at night albeit it you stay at the 4* level you would likely be OK in the #5 zone but at 3* or 3.5* I would be a bit nervous.

Hi all, We are cruising to Alaska on Princess Sapphire on July 14, 2012. Although we have done lots of previous cruises, this is our first to Alaska and unfortunately, NO ONE on our thread (so far) has been to Alaska before. Would some experienced Alaska visitor who would be willing to answer some port questions please post onto our thread. We will be stopping at Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway before starting the land portion in Whittier. We need your expertise! :p

Hello,

My wife and I will be spending two nights in Vancouver in early June following a cruise; this will be both of our first time staying there. A few questions for those familiar with Vancouver:

1) We are booked in the Georgian Court Hotel on 773 Beatty Street as we received a good rate and it has excellent reviews on Trip Advisor. I am curious as to what a local thinks of this hotel and of the location. Our reservation is refundable, so we do have the option of switching to something else (or possibly going with Priceline, but my concern is getting stuck in a smoking room if I use Priceline) .

2) How do you recommend getting to the hotel from the cruise port? Also, how do you recommend getting to the Amtrack Train station from the hotel (we are taking Amtrak to Seattle when we leave)?

3) Since we only have two days to spend in Vancouver, is it recommended we do a day trip to Whistler (we are open to this, but would add significant cost), or is there plenty to do in Vancouver that our time would be just as well spent staying put in the downtown area? Any recommended activities in Vancouver?

Thanks for any feedback/advice! :)

Hello,

My wife and I will be spending two nights in Vancouver in early June following a cruise; this will be both of our first time staying there. A few questions for those familiar with Vancouver:

1) We are booked in the Georgian Court Hotel on 773 Beatty Street as we received a good rate and it has excellent reviews on Trip Advisor. I am curious as to what a local thinks of this hotel and of the location. Our reservation is refundable, so we do have the option of switching to something else (or possibly going with Priceline, but my concern is getting stuck in a smoking room if I use Priceline) .

2) How do you recommend getting to the hotel from the cruise port? Also, how do you recommend getting to the Amtrack Train station from the hotel (we are taking Amtrak to Seattle when we leave)?

3) Since we only have two days to spend in Vancouver, is it recommended we do a day trip to Whistler (we are open to this, but would add significant cost), or is there plenty to do in Vancouver that our time would be just as well spent staying put in the downtown area? Any recommended activities in Vancouver?

1. It's a great hotel, a few blocks away from the heart of downtown, and pretty close to being across the street from the football stadium.
  2. Taxi, it's should be well under $10. While you could take Skytrain, it's only one stop ($2.50/ea) and really not worth it, it would put you a block away at Beatty @ Dunsmuir
  3. There's a ton to do in Vancouver. Not knowing the sort of things you like,it's hard to answer, but Stanley Park, Graville Island Market, Grouse Mtn and Capilano suspension bridge would be a good start...

Hello,

The Georgian Court tends to be a hotel that we forget about only because it is about as far east in the business core as you can be. That said it is locally owned and operated and has always had the reputation of being a great hotel. It close to transportation, restaurants and an easy walk into trendy Yaletown.

You are about a $10 cab fare from either Canada Place or the Pacific Central Station which Amtrak uses. If you wished you could walk to Canada Place but it is about a 10/11 block walk...all downhill.

Given your time in Vancouver I wouldn't recommend a trip to Whistler as it consumes a full day in itself. Vancouver has many attractions and a great way to see many of them is with a HOHO excursion.

Can American dollars be used for restaurants, etc. in Vancouver?

US dollars are widely accepted in Vancouver but it is not the currency of our country so will likely receive your change in Canadian funds; with this in mind keep your US bills small or use a credit card. About the only place that you can't use US funds is on public transit but most of the fare machines in SkyTrain, Canada Line and the SeaBus stations do accept US credit cards and many ATM cards.

We stay some days in Vancouver. My husband wants to do the Whistler Tour. He heard so many things about the sea to sky route. We wouldn't like rent a car so I search found some tour operators.

The offers sound very similar to me, so my question: Can you recommand one of the tour operators? I found Vantage Whistler, Vantoptours and Stay and Tour.

Thank you for your help

US dollars are widely accepted in Vancouver but it is not the currency of our country so will likely receive your change in Canadian funds; with this in mind keep your US bills small or use a credit card. About the only place that you can't use US funds is on public transit but most of the fare machines in SkyTrain, Canada Line and the SeaBus stations do accept US credit cards and many ATM cards.

Note however that the exchange may not be the best, even though we are about on par.

john

I see they have adjusted their maps recently....

Putterdude,

Appreciate your response, it's helpful to know which area to target. My cruise buddy has a lead on a potential deal at the Pan Pacific so will see how that turns out before I start bidding on Priceline, thanks for your help. Ele