Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

I actually just found a terrific rate on the Pinnacle at Lonsdale Quay ($149) so I too was wondering about staying in North Van. Any thoughts on this hotel? Prices downtown are astronomical for the nights we're there.

We'll be renting a car at the airport as i have some family out in the burbs that we want to visit (Langley & Delta) but we wondered how realistic it is to maybe take public transit into the city for dinner and drinks and back again to North Van, basically so none of us have to worry about driving. Safe to do at night?

Great deal. I have been by the hotel many times but have not stayed there yet. Everything I have read and heard about the hotel is good and it is in a very safe location. It's a very simple 1 block walk over to the SeaBus Terminal and then into the city. There are lots of restaurants in the lower Lonsdale area which would save you a trip into town....if you wish.

Had a change of plans and after docking in Vancouver on Saturday morning, we are going to stay one night before flying home. We are staying at the Westin Bayfront. We won't have time to do alot, so I thought we would stay around the stanley park area. Is there any must sees? We would also like to eat at a good seafood restaurant, any suggestions?

Thanks,

Tracey

Tracey, you are a very short walk into the park but unfortunately once in the park many of the attractions are a fair walk and the HOHO will not have started in May. However you can see things like the Aquarium which is an excellent use of time. There are things like the totem poles and Brockton Point which are worth a visit. Here is a link to a good map of the park. link

Good seafood restaurants in close proximity to the Westin Bayshore would include the following:

http://www.vancouverdine.com/carderos/home.html

http://www.boathouserestaurants.ca/vancouver-restaurant-locations.php

http://www.fishhousestanleypark.com/

http://liftbarandgrill.com/

With the Fish House in Stanley Park you would want a cab but the others are walkable. My two faves are Cardero's and the Lift.

I would quite agree about Joe Fortes; it has been a touch stone in Vancouver dining for more than 25 years, actually it may be getting close to 30 years.:) I have enjoyed many, many very pleasant meals there however it doesn't have the marine views that some of the restaurants have that are closer to the water.

• 3 weeks later...

Seems like a great place to ask questions on Vancouver!

We are flying in on a Saturday around noon in late May. We are booked at the Pan Pacific and our cruise leaves on Monday. So we have the afternoon on SAturday and all day on Sunday to sight see and enjoy food.

So far I'm looking at Stanley Park and renting bikes - what's the best way to get from the Pan Pacific to the Park? So far looked at Spokes for renting but I'm open to other recommendations.

If it rains we would be more likely to do the HOHO bus. What stops would locals recommend? http://vancouvertrolley.com/Tours/Hop-On%2C%20Hop-Offroute-map

Also, any restaurant recommendations for a nice dinner (<$50 per person) within walking distance to our hotel? We prefer local and not chains.

Thanks!

Seems like a great place to ask questions on Vancouver!

We are flying in on a Saturday around noon in late May. We are booked at the Pan Pacific and our cruise leaves on Monday. So we have the afternoon on SAturday and all day on Sunday to sight see and enjoy food.

So far I'm looking at Stanley Park and renting bikes - what's the best way to get from the Pan Pacific to the Park? So far looked at Spokes for renting but I'm open to other recommendations.

If it rains we would be more likely to do the HOHO bus. What stops would locals recommend? http://vancouvertrolley.com/Tours/Hop-On%2C%20Hop-Offroute-map

Also, any restaurant recommendations for a nice dinner (<$50 per person) within walking distance to our hotel? We prefer local and not chains.

Thanks!

The city bus (specifically the #19 Stanley Park) will get you toward the park for 2.75, or it's a not unpleasant 1½ mile walk. For information on the bus/skytrain/seabus system http://www.translink.ca/

As for dinner, there are lots of options, not too far from your hotel, it depends a lot of what you like to eat, but something like Cardero's has good food and killer views. Miku (higher end Japanese) are moving their downtown location into Granville Square right next to the Pan Pacific, again, with killer views. For some other ideas there's a quite good restaurant review site for vancouver called DINEHERE.CA. Is there a specific cuisine you were looking for ??

The city bus (specifically the #19 Stanley Park) will get you toward the park for 2.75, or it's a not unpleasant 1½ mile walk. For information on the bus/skytrain/seabus system http://www.translink.ca/

As for dinner, there are lots of options, not too far from your hotel, it depends a lot of what you like to eat, but something like Cardero's has good food and killer views. Miku (higher end Japanese) are moving their downtown location into Granville Square right next to the Pan Pacific, again, with killer views. For some other ideas there's a quite good restaurant review site for vancouver called DINEHERE.CA. Is there a specific cuisine you were looking for ??

We're pretty open. Seafood would probably at the top of our list given the location but DH would not forgive me for not asking about steak or italian. :eek:

We're pretty open. Seafood would probably at the top of our list given the location but DH would not forgive me for not asking about steak or italian. :eek:

in no particular order:

Seafood:

Fish House at Stanley Park

Cardero's

Joe Fortes

million+1 sushi joints in downtown

Fresh Local Wild (Food Truck)

Steak:

Hy's

Gotham

Joe Fortes

Italian (downtown):

Cin Cin

Il Giardino di Umberto

Wow, so much great info on this thread! Maybe I missed it but can anyone tell me about getting from princess cruise port to Amtrack cascades for train trip down to Seattle on same day. Walkable (light luggage)?

Also, we arrive around 8 and don't take train until 5pm....what to do with luggage (drop at train early?) then best suggestions for an enjoyable day within walking? Or if there is just a must do that requires taxi lets hear it! :)

Wow, so much great info on this thread! Maybe I missed it but can anyone tell me about getting from princess cruise port to Amtrack cascades for train trip down to Seattle on same day. Walkable (light luggage)?

Also, we arrive around 8 and don't take train until 5pm....what to do with luggage (drop at train early?) then best suggestions for an enjoyable day within walking? Or if there is just a must do that requires taxi lets hear it! :)

It's about 3km. Options would be taxi (about 10-15), or Skytrain (4 stops on Expo or Millennium line trains) for $2.75/ea

As for luggage storage Priority Baggage have an office at the Canada Place terminal http://www.prioritybaggage.ca/

After doing hours of research for a pre-cruise stay in Vancouver we are now unable to take our Alaska cruise but would still love to visit Vancouver for 5 or 6 nights and do a land only trip.

Looking for efficiency recommendations, would like to be near downtown and all the public transportation. I was planning on Blue Horizon originally but with a change in plans thought I would see what else my fellow CC'ers had to offer.

Planning to spend time touring: Stanley Park, Granville Island, Capilano Bridge & Grouse Mountain to name a few.

Thank you,

Patty

Edited by cw2go

There certainly nothing wrong with the Blue Horizon's location among the shops and restaurants of Robson St. and it is very popular with cruisers. However, as convenience to public transit seems a priority with you, a hotel that is more convenient to transportation, be it bus or SkyTrain, would be the Hyatt Regency.

In addition to Priority Luggage Services at Canada Place you have the option of taking your luggage to one of the hotels at or near by Canada Place and give a nice tip to the bell desk to hold your luggage for you. Another option is to take your luggage to the Pacific Central Station where VIA rail will check it for Amtrak, however this whole process is likely going to take you the best part of an hour and it not necessarily a good use of your short time in Vancouver.

I think I read the answer to this somewhere in this thread but cannot find it now. We will have all day to wander before our cruise leaves (mid-July) at 4pm, and I think we have to be on board by 2pm. We'd like to drop off our bags and then walk the seawall into Stanley Park. I know it's a mile into the park, and then we can walk as much of the 5 miles there (seawall) as we feel like. My question is how early could we drop off our bags?

Thanks,

Debbie

I think I read the answer to this somewhere in this thread but cannot find it now. We will have all day to wander before our cruise leaves (mid-July) at 4pm, and I think we have to be on board by 2pm. We'd like to drop off our bags and then walk the seawall into Stanley Park. I know it's a mile into the park, and then we can walk as much of the 5 miles there (seawall) as we feel like. My question is how early could we drop off our bags?

Thanks,

Debbie

Sorry no answer to your question but wanted to say I have a son who plays Lacrosse and he loves the turtle :p

Patty

There certainly nothing wrong with the Blue Horizon's location among the shops and restaurants of Robson St. and it is very popular with cruisers. However, as convenience to public transit seems a priority with you, a hotel that is more convenient to transportation, be it bus or SkyTrain, would be the Hyatt Regency.

Thanks Pudderdude, now looking for secrets and tricks to pricing out the Hyatt Regency. I want to plan a trip for Aug, when would you recommend booking at what price and which route? ex. hotwire, priceline? I have never used any of the mentioned sites and when I did a little looking around today the prices were very similar.

Thanks again,

Patty

Thanks,

Debbie

You can drop luggage off about 0930, you might get lucky at say 0900 but that is about it.

Thanks Pudderdude, now looking for secrets and tricks to pricing out the Hyatt Regency. I want to plan a trip for Aug, when would you recommend booking at what price and which route? ex. hotwire, priceline? I have never used any of the mentioned sites and when I did a little looking around today the prices were very similar.

Thanks again,

Patty

Because you want a specific hotel you are going to have to look at the rates on the Hotwire, Priceline and Hotels.com sites....bidding or selecting a unnamed hotel is not going to do it for you. You could also call the Hyatt Regency directly and see if they have any "special" rates offered.

Great deal. I have been by the hotel many times but have not stayed there yet. Everything I have read and heard about the hotel is good and it is in a very safe location. It's a very simple 1 block walk over to the SeaBus Terminal and then into the city. There are lots of restaurants in the lower Lonsdale area which would save you a trip into town....if you wish.

Sorry! I missed this earlier. Thank you for the info. If you have any recommendations for restaurants there we'd greatly appreciate it.

Edited by goodml

Sorry! I missed this earlier. Thank you for the info. If you have any recommendations for restaurants there we'd greatly appreciate it.

Here are few that you may like:

Fishworks http://www.fishworks.ca/

Gutso di Quattro http://www.quattrorestaurants.com/

Pasparos Taverna http://www.pasparos.com/index.htm

Pier 7 http://pierseven.ca/team/