Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

I'm looking to book at the Sandman hotel on Georgia Street. What area is this hotel near(Chinatown, Gastown or Yaletown)? Are there restaurants near (walking distance)this area or am I going to have to take a cab someplace? Same with some attractions? We are only there for one night.

I'm looking to book at the Sandman hotel on Georgia Street. What area is this hotel near(Chinatown, Gastown or Yaletown)? Are there restaurants near (walking distance)this area or am I going to have to take a cab someplace? Same with some attractions? We are only there for one night.

It's about 12 blocks from Canada Place, near both the hockey arena and football stadium. There are lots of restaurants on nearby Robson street, and equidistant from from ChinaTown, GasTown or Yaletown. it's a one block walk to the Expo/Millennium lines of Skytrain, so transit is pretty straightforward.

What attractions are you looking to visit? For the most popular attractions (Grouse Mt, Capilano Bridge) you're going to be taking a bus from anywhere in downtown anyway.

Thanks for the information. We will have about a half day to explore. The attractions were if there was something close by. I checked the schedules and no hockey or soccer when we are there. :( I will have to look up Grouse Mt and see if that would be something we could do and cost.

Plan to use Priority Club points to stay at the Holiday Inn on Howe St for a couple days priop to a cruise at the end of May 2013. It appears to be a stop on the HOHO bus route which we plan to use to see the surrounding area.

Wondering if anyone has comments about this hotel, and its location.

Thanks

Mike

Some years ago I stayed at the Sandman on W. Georgia, it's clean and borders a little on the spartan side but just fine for a night. You will likely get more enjoyment walking down and exploring historic Gastown which is about 5 blocks to the north toward the water and perhaps going up the Vancouver Lookout to see the view. Depending on how much time you really have, you may find a jaunt over to the North Shore to the the Capilano Suspension Bridge and the Grouse Mountain Skyride more than you want to take on for a few hours. However if you do both attractions offer free shuttles from convenient locations in the downtown area. CSBs shuttle schedule is on their website however as of last week Grouses was not up yet as it does not begin to operate until late May or early June.

Thanks for the information. We will have about a half day to explore. The attractions were if there was something close by. I checked the schedules and no hockey or soccer when we are there. :( I will have to look up Grouse Mt and see if that would be something we could do and cost.

There may be a football game: http://bclions.com/schedule/list/team/1/

If I stay at the Hyatt Regency Downtown on Burrard, it seems there's a Skytrain stop across the street from hotel. Coming in from YVR it looks like I'd have to make a transfer at Waterfront. (Hyatt's website says transfer at Granville Station or Waterfront - not sure how Granville transfer would work) How much hassle is it to transfer at these stations with cruise luggage? Would it be just as easy to get off at Vancouver City Center or Waterfront and just walk to the hotel? Trying to figure out all this out ahead of time and seeing if I'm reading the maps correctly. Also, trying to decide if I should just take a cab in from airport.

Thanks everyone for being so helpful. Suggestions more than welcome.

Would it be just as easy to get off at Vancouver City Center or Waterfront and just walk to the hotel?

I would get off at Vancouver City Center, not Waterfront, if you plan to walk. Take the two escalators up to the street level then turn left. You'll walk three blocks (level) west along Georgia Street and you'll come to the intersection of Burrard and Georgia where the Hyatt is. You can see the RBC building from Granville and Georgia where you get off the train. The Hyatt is right next door.

Plus - I'm assuming it's an easy walk with luggage from Hyatt Regency to Canada Place to board the ship? Maps list it as .34 miles? thanks

Very easy walk with luggage. Leave the Hyatt and go left (north) down Burrard Street towards the waterfront. It's about 4 blocks to Canada Place from the Hyatt.

I would get off at Vancouver City Center, not Waterfront, if you plan to walk. Take the two escalators up to the street level then turn left. You'll walk three blocks (level) west along Georgia Street and you'll come to the intersection of Burrard and Georgia where the Hyatt is. You can see the RBC building from Granville and Georgia where you get off the train. The Hyatt is right next door.

Thank you for answering my questions. So, which is the easiest: 1) making a line transfer and riding over to Burrard station or 2) getting off at Vancouver City Center and walking to hotel?

Thanks

Very easy walk with luggage. Leave the Hyatt and go left (north) down Burrard Street towards the waterfront. It's about 4 blocks to Canada Place from the Hyatt.

Thanks, it looked like a very short walk, just wasn't sure if it was an easy walk. Appreciate your response.

Hello! We will be visiting Vancouver for the first time later this year and have 3 and a bit days pre-cruise to explore. Very excited!

On one day we plan to do the TripAdvisor Vancouver City Guide app self guided walking tour from Granville Island to Coal Harbour via Stanley Park, but need to know how to get to Granville Island from our hotel - the Blue Horizon. Preferably on public transport.

Hello! We will be visiting Vancouver for the first time later this year and have 3 and a bit days pre-cruise to explore. Very excited!

On one day we plan to do the TripAdvisor Vancouver City Guide app self guided walking tour from Granville Island to Coal Harbour via Stanley Park, but need to know how to get to Granville Island from our hotel - the Blue Horizon. Preferably on public transport.

a short walk up to Robson, and then pretty much any bus going over the Granville bridge would be appropriate. There are so many options, it hard to list them all here, but I would recommend that you either visit http://www.translink.ca/ for their trip finder, or use the google maps directions, and then click the bus icon. Cost would be one zone $2.75

Thank you for answering my questions. So, which is the easiest: 1) making a line transfer and riding over to Burrard station or 2) getting off at Vancouver City Center and walking to hotel?

Thanks

Walking is probably the easiest. However, if it is raining and you don't feel like walking in the rain with your luggage, stay on the train and transfer at waterfront station to the other line (all indoors).

Once at waterfront, don't take the escalator or elevator that are right at the platform. Walk the long hallway and up the escalators at that end. Once at street level (still indoors) to your left will be the entrance to the Seabus and Skytrain. Take the escalator down to the platform and board the train. Next stop is Burrard Station.

We would like to stay at a motel or hotel that has a parking plan in Vancouver. We are taking a 14 day cruise out and back to Vancouver. Thanks, Joan

Hotels that offer stay, cruise and parking packages in or close to Vancouver include:

Best Western- Downtown on Drake St.

Hampton Inn & Suites on Robson St.

Executive Vintage Park Inn on Howe St.

Coast Plaza Hotel at Denman & Comox...in Vancouver's West End

Accent Inns....motels in suburban Richmond and Burnaby

You will find that most of the packages include 7 or 8 days of parking so you are best to contact these hotels directly about the extra days.

I've also done research on this. Alternatives I came up with were staying across the harbour in North Vancouver or at the Airport. Those options were considerable cheaper.

Would you care to share some names, I am sure that the poster would love to have that information.

I know that I have mentioned these tours in various threads, but can't remember which. I spent 4 lovely days in Vancouver and did 2 free walking tours with

http://www.tourguys.ca/vancouver-tours/vancouver-tours/

I found the guides to be very informative and the route walkable for people my age (young senior). Please tip generously, since this is their only income for the free tours. I highly recommend this group. I did the ChinaTown and Canada Place tours.

Enjoy your stay. I've been to Vancouver several times have enjoyed each visit.

Renee

I've booked the comfort inn north Vancouver for 96.00/night. I called and spoke to Eri - she included parking while we were on the cruise. They were very helpful and accommodating.

Thanks for sharing that information. DW & I stayed at that motel on Oct 24 enroute to our winter home here in AZ. It's clean and good for a night. However, it is a $30 cab ride to and from Canada Place or you will be schlepping your luggage a couple blocks to catch a crowded transit bus, transferring once or walking another 7 blocks to Canada Place....and then reversing the process to pick up your car....just so you are aware.

Trip Advisor have "city guide" apps for quite a few cities. I'm on Android but I believe they have Apple versions too. Just go to the play store/i-store and search for "Vancouver City Guide" and you should find it easily.

Its really good and works without your phone actually being connected to the internet - it apparently uses the GPS function of the phone. The self-guided walking tour I referred to is under "Suggested Itineraries" Its a full day tour with 15 stops/points of interest that starts at Granville Island then takes you through Stanley Park, finishing at Coal Harbour for dinner.

Thanks for that new information. I've reworked all of our travel plans. We are now renting a one way car from Seattle. Staying at the pan pacific and taking another one way car back to Seattle. It's the most hassle free we could come up with. We didn't want to worry about a rental car while we were on the cruise.