How did Carnival Handle Your Hurricane?

PlaneJoy

We leave Monday out of Miami. Hurricane Jeanne could make land early Sunday a.m. somewhere on the Florida coast, possible Melbourne but who really knows at this point. We live outside of Atlanta, so driving to Miami isn't out of the question, but not desirable in a tropical storm with two kids.

For those that have recently been interrupted or possibly interrupted by the hurricanes, how did Carnival handle the situation (i.e. rebooking, information, etc.) Is there something you did that you would recommend other travelers do? Is there something you would do differently?

Thanks for any advice! I followed some of the hurricane threads and am aware of the itenerary changes. We are flexible and willing to roll with what ever happens. We just want to get on the boat and sail.

Have a great day!

I was on the Fantasy when Frances was out in the Atlantic. Carnival gave us several different options prior to boarding. I feel that they did an outstanding job on keeping all informed of what was happening the best that they could. The situation was a constant change for them with the weather and such. Just keep in contact with Carnival and they will let you or your TA know what is going on. Good luck and have a great cruise.

We were on the Holiday during Ivan. Carnival was asked before sailing about rescheduleing this cruise because it really looked like Ivan was heading right for our area. We couldn't.

I think from reading the threads that the ships out of Florida in general have a heads up on what Carnival offers then any other ports. I know that the Glory was given a ship board credit for being stuck out in the storm but again we were out of New Orleans.

My only suggestion is take something that you can take and also give your children for motion sickness because it IS NOT good feeling. I went to the doctor Tuesday because I have still had the motion sickness feeling even after being home and they are treating it with medication.

Good luck and hopefully all will leave you alone

Carnival will only cancel if absolutely necessary... it is very rare they cancel a cruise. It is up to each of us to be an informed traveler... make sure you have travelers insurance... if the cruise is not cancelled, they will do everything necessary to keep the passengers safe. More information is available on their website under "Hurricanes" in the FAQs.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the input (keep it coming!)

If the hurricane hits Sunday it could potentially move our port, which I doubt, or departure or day. Who knows? We'll take the carnival number with us and make sure we stay up to day. Right now they are saying no changes.

Our trip on the Paradise going through the Panama Canal was shortened by 1 day and therefore we lost a port going to Aruba. Instead of 15 days it was 14 days. They gave us $200/person on board credit. If you needed to cancel you could get 100% back. No credits for future cruises. Some people felt we got a little short changed on that aspect. Because of Hurricane javier in the pacific we ended up losing Cabo San Lucas. We got $25/person on board credit.

Archived