Putting kids in seperate cabins

teese

We currently have two D1 adjoining staterooms for myself, DH, DS 15, and DD 12. I now see the JS are essentially the same price as we paid for the D1's, and there are two sets of JS side by side but not adjoining. For those who've put their kids in separate rooms, how did it work for you? My kids follow our rules very well, but we've always felt more secure with adjoining rooms in hotels and ships. I would love 2 JS though.

We've cruised in the past with three teens as well and we had adjoining cabins. We are cruising again in a few weeks and again, will have adjoining cabins. It's not that we don't trust them, it is their safety/security we are more concerned with. However, it is totally up to you and only you can make that decision. ;)

My wife and I purchased an inside cabin for our three kids, ages 11, 13, & 15. We are in a JS across the hall and down a couple of doors. We are debating taking away their seapass cards at night. I told them I would just take a piece of duct tape and put on the outside of the door to see if they left or not. I personally don't think anyone of them would dare leave their room without permission and they are great kids but you never know when the meet up with others what they will do under peer pressure.

My wife and I purchased an inside cabin for our three kids, ages 11, 13, & 15. We are in a JS across the hall and down a couple of doors. We are debating taking away their seapass cards at night. I told them I would just take a piece of duct tape and put on the outside of the door to see if they left or not. I personally don't think anyone of them would dare leave their room without permission and they are great kids but you never know when the meet up with others what they will do under peer pressure.

i like these ideas! i'd imagine you probably know your kids well enough to know if they're responsible enough to handle it.

Boxer Mommy, I agree, I'm afraid I'll never have piece of mind while on the cruise. My DH could go for it except he knows I'll probably drive him crazy every nite to double check on them.

Censored- Our rule has always been, if they break our rules when on vacation, then they get to hang out with me all day, and I love to read. So that means sitting in a chair next to me for a good portion of the day. When they were around 10yrs or so I added on that they'd have to hold my hand all day long, that was the clincher. They'd shudder at the thought of walking around the ship holding my hand.

Boxer Mommy, I agree, I'm afraid I'll never have piece of mind while on the cruise. My DH could go for it except he knows I'll probably drive him crazy every nite to double check on them.

Censored- Our rule has always been, if they break our rules when on vacation, then they get to hang out with me all day, and I love to read. So that means sitting in a chair next to me for a good portion of the day. When they were around 10yrs or so I added on that they'd have to hold my hand all day long, that was the clincher. They'd shudder at the thought of walking around the ship holding my hand.

Great ideas. I think I'll write all these up and give to the kids on the way to the pier as "Punishment for Breaking Rules". Make it like some kind of contract they have to sign.

Think about it--they will probably be closer in a "next-door" cabin than they are in their rooms at home! I wouldn't put kids under 12 in anything but connecting rooms, but 12 and 15? As long as you trust your kids to do what you say, I think it's fine! If you're comfortable with it, I say, go for it! JS's are super-duper!

Think about it--they will probably be closer in a "next-door" cabin than they are in their rooms at home! I wouldn't put kids under 12 in anything but connecting rooms, but 12 and 15? As long as you trust your kids to do what you say, I think it's fine! If you're comfortable with it, I say, go for it! JS's are super-duper!

We have a son in a wheelchair, and have had him and his brothers both next to us and across the hall. It all depends on your comfort level. I'm unsure what my boys would do in a JS though. Maybe see if you can get across the hall for them.. More money to spend on yourself...:p

If the two rooms are side by side perhaps it would be possible to open up between the balconies. I am not sure if that is possible on the ship you are sailing on, but that makes it more like adjoining rooms as you can walk to each of the rooms via the balcony and not the outside corridor. I have done that with my two teenaged daughters but I don't remember if it was on an RCCL ship.

We always have had adjoining cabins also. This year, i booked too late to get adjoining cabins.

We are next door to each other. MY kids are 13(boy) and 16(girl). Both are social butterflies, and USUALLY follow the rules. They used to rat each other out..but lately, they have been banding together..(NOT GOOD)

I am liking the duct tape idea..lol.

I am also getting a room key for their room as well as mine.

We will have curfews, and I am seriously thinking about getting dect phones from the purser's desk upon arrival. Then they will be in constant contact with me if I need them to be :). They both have cell phones at home, and if I call they better answer.....it has worked so far!

I think you know your kids better than us, but I think at those ages...they should be fine!

I just tell my kids to "you need to use your brain...not your friends brain!"

Tiger Lady - It does seem very extravagant to put them in a JS. But there are no other cabins still available nearby. We sail in a little over three weeks. Honestly, I'm having so much trouble with the idea of them being next door, I don't think I could handle down the hall.

Rosie Roo- We sail on the Mariner which supposedly has the ability to open the balconly divider. We had planned on requesting it to be opened with the adjoining D1's, so I would definetly want it open if we took the JS. I'm glad to hear you have done this already and it worked out.

we were on NOS last week- us in an ocean view, kids across the hall, inside room. I wasn't able to get connecting rooms, ocean view. DD is 14, her friend 15 and ds 11. My dd (14) is still "trustable" and was happy with the freedom she got. I would doze in her bed with ds in the room until they returned then go across hall to my own bed. I think if she was 16+ she might try something?? but for now it was ok (and it took me a while to get comfortable with it-esp across the hall) if it was ajoining, no problem..

Jill

ps you can get extra room keys only to get in/out

Thanks everyone for your responses. Is there anyone out there with any negative experieces of theirs or someone elses they know of? So far my kids have been very trustworthy, but they're normal kids. Actually, I'm more worried about the security side of things, being in a physically separate room, with a door to the outside hall. With and adjoining rooms we can keep the door open and feel safer.

My kids have always been in separate cabins. Mostly adjoining, but the last one was down the corridor. However, they are a bit older...son was over 18 at the time. Had no problems. In fact, the stateroom attendant was very observant & protective of them. One time a family friend went into their cabin. The attendant saw him, didn't recognize him and actually called security to come and make sure there wasn't a problem!! I don't know anyone personally who has had a negative experience, although I have read stories on this board & other places. The main thing is, you know your kids...if you feel comfortable with it, that is what matters. Hope you have a wonderful cruise!!!!

We have done adjoining and across the hall. Now we are down the hall from them, about 5 cabins in between. They will be 12 and 13 at the time of that cruise. We did not like the adjoining cabins at all. On RC the door is either locked or unlocked...so you lose your ability to lock the adjoining door when YOU want to. You also give up the couch for a loveseat and a chair. Across the hall is the best scenario and you get copies of the keys. This way if you want the JS give them the inside cabin. Why should kids at that age have a JS or even a balcony. That would worry me more than having them roaming around the ship with a bunch of friends. We changed our balcony cabin and inside cabin to 2 insides and RC said no problem as long as we are near them. Near them to RC is now in the same quadrant. So 5 cabins inbetween us is fine. I will tell you in Nov after the cruise if it was fine once I was there and worried. But I figure across the hall, down the hall...what is the big difference.

We had our kids across the hall from us this past cruise, I loved it!!!!! no fighting getting dressed or picking up clothes that I have to walk on, but

they were in my room more then theirs! doing their hair, nap time ect.

although their rug was wet in different places in their room so I could see

them being out of their room but the whole trip! oh brother! they are 14-17

so they arent babies.................

but anyway I did like it and probably would do it again!

I took away my daughter's seapass card and she just went to guest relations and told them she lost it and they re-issued her one.

We have done 4 Cruises now with 4 in a standard balcony. It saved some money for the 3rd & 4th person rates and we didn't really spend a lot of time in the room. As the kids got older they arrived later and we were always were out sooner, so there were no lines for the Bathroom.

Can't say that would work if you had girls who I've heard take more time in the bathroom. A JS would be easy to do with 4, but its all about what you want and if you have 3 kids forget it. Of course there's alway the do not disturb signs and interior lock if you need some rest ;) in the afternoon.

For our next cruise the boys will be 15 & 19 so we're getting a balcony and a promenade on the Mariner :) . Everyone will appreciate the extra room but we don't regret the time we all bunked together.

No, not at all. I do remember when I was that age. It is more for the fear factor for my kids. I would also hope some youngsters as yourself wouldn't put it back up for them.:0

My personal fear factor is that i travel with extended family and my uncles always seem to walk by hot tubs at inopportune moments and love to tell my whole family what exactly i was doing in the hot tub:cool:

Archived