Dog Sledding In Alaska

TWO4THESEA

Hello:

We've just booked a cruise on Radiance of the Seas. We're doing a land/sea package, flying up to Anchorage and doing the land for about 7 days and then cruising back to Vancouver. We want to take in some excursions, one of them being Dog Sledding and maybe Salmon fishing. Has anyone done this and if so, can you recommed any tour company that would be nice? I know that you can book thru the cruise line, but I've heard that sometimes you can get a better deal booking from an outside company. Any help would be appreciated.

Check the Alaska forum under the destinations group. When we went up there five years ago the people there were extremely helpful. Many AK residents. Also check out the Alakska forum under USA at TripAdvisor.com for more of the non-cruise specific local information.

One thing to keep in mind...the dog sledding, unless on a glacier, is often wheel based instead of a real sled. If dry (and not on ice) it can be very dusty...if not dry then probably muddy.

Also, if the salmon are not running an alternative is halibut where, as I understand it (this may have changed since), if you hook onto a really big one you can have some sent home and sell the rest back to the operator subsidize the excursion.

Hello,

As far as Salmon goes it depends on what time you are in the area, whether the salmon is running and what species, kings, reds, silvers. You can find many many private guides to take to you fishing, especially if you are going to the Kenai Pennisula. Halibut is always an option, yummy yummy...if you decide to have your fish "sent home", ask that they give you the "halibut cheeks", it is a very tasty morsel of the halibut.

Dog sleds, you should be able to find someone in the Wasilla area, but like the last poster said, it may be wheeled. They are fast, and it is so much fun.

If you are in Anchorage on a Saturday, go to the open air market, it located downtown next to Ship Creek, and depending on the time you are there you might be able to see people fishing for King Salmon.

Enjoy your time in Alaska, it is a very magical place.

We couldn't really afford $400 each for the sledding on a glacier so we opted for a Musher's Camp

For a short video of our sled ride visit:

http://thehollo.com/alaska/DSCF2148.wmv

The camp I thought would have a couple dozen dogs and BOY was I wrong-there had to be 200 dogs there. Those doggies are so happy and well treated I kind of felt bad for all the humans who were having to take care of them all.

The PUPPIES were adorable-they lick your whole face!

DSCF2165.jpg

The least canceled option for a glaicer dog sledding will be out of Seward with Godwin's. Otherwise it is also available in Juneau and Skagway.

Independent with TEMSCO and Coastal.

I do suggest you plan at least 2 days in Seward, if independent touring Interior Alaska. It's very rare that cruisetours allow any time in Seward. It's a gem of opportunity for fantastic touring, not to miss- really. :)

We are spending 3 days in Seward and are doing the Godwin Glacier dog sledding as it is cancelled much less than the others I understand. It is a smaller company than others so it is hopefully very personal. If we cannot go on the first day then they tell us we can go another day. Great deal.

We are also on the Radiance SB from Seward. What are your dates? We sail on July 25th.

Great pictures! Go Bucs. I'm from Tampa. Nice to see all the sunshine and blue jeans. Everyone says not to wear blue jeans - they will get wet and cold. What did you think - I have two teenagers and that's all they own - plus I don't want to spend $$ on other clothes if not needed. Were you comfortable - did you wear long underwear underneath.

Especially enjoyed all the brew pubs - looks like fun.

Awesome pictures, Buccaneergirl!

It looked as if the two of you were the only ones at the dog sled camp. Were there other tourists there? Was yours a ship excursion, or independent?

Also, did you use a telephoto lens to take the pictures of the animals in Denali Park, or were you really that close?

We couldn't really afford $400 each for the sledding on a glacier so we opted for a Musher's Camp

For a short video of our sled ride visit:

http://thehollo.com/alaska/DSCF2148.wmv

The camp I thought would have a couple dozen dogs and BOY was I wrong-there had to be 200 dogs there. Those doggies are so happy and well treated I kind of felt bad for all the humans who were having to take care of them all.

The PUPPIES were adorable-they lick your whole face!

DSCF2165.jpg

Thanks for your post. I'll be going to Alaska June 27 on Rhapsody of the Seas with my daughter and 5 yr old granddaughter. Everyone keeps talking about how wonderful it is to go glacier dog sledding in the snow. It's expensive enough paying for a cruise, yet alone another $400-$500 each for the three of us to dog sledding. So we booked the excursion for Musher's Camp in Skagway. I loved your picture with the puppy. I don't think there's a lot of excursions that a 5 year old will enjoy, so she is really looking forward to the dog sledding even if it is on a dirt trail.

oh she'll love the puppies.

My wife wears her musher's camp TShirt from Skagway ALL THE TIME (she has it on right now)

The ride is about 10-15 minutes

You'll get to see the camp and learn about how the mushers and the dogs live year round.

They'll give you plenty of time with the puppies-all under mom's watchful eye.

Here's where the MC pics start:

http://thehollo.com/alaska/index9.htm

DSCF2159.jpg

Thanks Stompy for your reply and all the wonderful pictures you shared. Yes, I looked at all of them. I've never been to Alaska before and was amazed at how beautiful it is. I am really excited now about going dog sledding. I'm sure my daughter and granddaughter will love it. And I already know we'll be getting Tshirts too. I've got a couple of questions about your pictures. It looks like your ship was Royal Caribbean. Which ship was it? Were those whales you were able to see from the ship? Where did you go that you were able to see moose? I'm assuming the pictures toward the end were from the midnight buffet. I can't believe how creative and beautiful everything was.

I see you are going to Alaska again in May. I'm sure you'll have a great time. Thanks again.

Thanks Stompy for your reply and all the wonderful pictures you shared. Yes' date=' I looked at all of them. I've never been to Alaska before and was amazed at how beautiful it is. I am really excited now about going dog sledding. I'm sure my daughter and granddaughter will love it. And I already know we'll be getting Tshirts too. I've got a couple of questions about your pictures. It looks like your ship was Royal Caribbean. Which ship was it? Were those whales you were able to see from the ship? Where did you go that you were able to see moose? I'm assuming the pictures toward the end were from the midnight buffet. I can't believe how creative and beautiful everything was.

I see you are going to Alaska again in May. I'm sure you'll have a great time. Thanks again.[/quote']

We were on Serenade back in 2006 and are going again in May-this time for 14 days! (No way my suit will fit by the 3rd formal night...)

The whales were on a whale watching expedition-one of the calves swam right under the boat. The whales seemed to be having a great time just splashing about.

Some folks on the ship did see a pod of Orcas but we never saw anything while aboard. We went to a rainforest walk and they had reindeer at the end-we got to feed them so that was really fun.

Yeah the pics were from the midnight buffet-they do several depending on your itinerary. RC tends to just do poolside buffets rather than chocolate or true midnight buffets but after your second or third dinner-who cares what time it is?

Thanks for your post. I'll be going to Alaska June 27 on Rhapsody of the Seas with my daughter and 5 yr old granddaughter. Everyone keeps talking about how wonderful it is to go glacier dog sledding in the snow. It's expensive enough paying for a cruise' date=' yet alone another $400-$500 each for the three of us to dog sledding. So we booked the excursion for Musher's Camp in Skagway. I loved your picture with the puppy. I don't think there's a lot of excursions that a 5 year old will enjoy, so she is really looking forward to the dog sledding even if it is on a dirt trail.[/quote']

Just for information, this Skagway musher's camp isn't cheap either. Another option, about 1/2 the price plus the ability to get in some great sighting is to rent a car and drive to Carcross with a stop at the sled dogs at Caribou Crossing. Would give you a whole day of fantastic sightseeing for less than you are paying for the ship excursion. Just another option perhaps. http://www.cariboucrossing.ca/

Just for information, this Skagway musher's camp isn't cheap either. Another option, about 1/2 the price plus the ability to get in some great sighting is to rent a car and drive to Carcross with a stop at the sled dogs at Caribou Crossing. Would give you a whole day of fantastic sightseeing for less than you are paying for the ship excursion. Just another option perhaps. http://www.cariboucrossing.ca/

BQ, We are planning to do the Chilikoot Charters Yukon bus/rail trip that includes Caribou Crossing and a dog cart ride. The photos of the dog experience at the link above are not very appealing to me. The musher part of the trip is very important to one of our group so I was thinking about doing the CC Yukon as described and then sending the one person out alone on the cruise ship musher camp trip in Skagway, since we have a lot of time in that city. Can you complare the musher camp with the caribou crossing dog experience?

The Caribou Crossing website didn't seem to have much info on pricing or hours-any idea how much it costs to get in and how much the dog rides are?

BQ, We are planning to do the Chilikoot Charters Yukon bus/rail trip that includes Caribou Crossing and a dog cart ride. The photos of the dog experience at the link above are not very appealing to me. The musher part of the trip is very important to one of our group so I was thinking about doing the CC Yukon as described and then sending the one person out alone on the cruise ship musher camp trip in Skagway, since we have a lot of time in that city. Can you complare the musher camp with the caribou crossing dog experience?

The Skagway tour is more "polished" and nicer scenery. I went on this many years ago when it was independent and $30. So I do not have first hand current information. There should be more information coming your way with other posters.

The Skagway tour is more "polished" and nicer scenery. I went on this many years ago when it was independent and $30. So I do not have first hand current information. There should be more information coming your way with other posters.

Sory to be dense, by "the skagway tour" do you mean the chilikoot charter trip or the cruiseline musher dog camp? Are there any independent musher dog camp trips in Skagway? That we might add on to after the Chilikoot charter 7 hour train/bus?

Sory to be dense, by "the skagway tour" do you mean the chilikoot charter trip or the cruiseline musher dog camp? Are there any independent musher dog camp trips in Skagway? That we might add on to after the Chilikoot charter 7 hour train/bus?

Sorry, the Skagway dog tours, which are out of Dyea. No independent options any longer out of Skagway that I know of?

Why not just pick a Chilkoot tour that includes Caribou Crossing???

Sorry, the Skagway dog tours, which are out of Dyea. No independent options any longer out of Skagway that I know of?

Why not just pick a Chilkoot tour that includes Caribou Crossing???

That is exactly what we have decided. I was wondering if the dog part of the experience was going to satisfy the dog lover in our group or do we need to add on a cruiseline mushers camp excursion. I havnt found any comparison of the two.

That is exactly what we have decided. I was wondering if the dog part of the experience was going to satisfy the dog lover in our group or do we need to add on a cruiseline mushers camp excursion. I havnt found any comparison of the two.

Both offer dog contact with Caribou Crossing, probably more. Both have cart rides and both have the owners/keepers available for commentary. More similiarities than differences in my opinion.

Archived