Need name of nice hotel in South Hampton, England

Bob & Barb

Booked on Golden next June for the Western European Capitals. We plan to stay a few days in London and then take the train to and stay a day and night in South Hampton before setting sail. Would like the name of a nice hotel in South Hampton -- hopefully near the pier where Golden ties up. Also wonder how far the pier is from the center of South Hampton. Also would like any suggestions for a nice, reasonable hotel in London. Princess offers a couple but they seem pricey.

Bob & Barb

Hi Bob & Barb - Take a look at the Ports of Call - there are some postings about Southampton hotels. I have booked the Holiday Inn on Priority Club points for 1 night pre-cruise. - I believe it is close to the pier (someone noted you would still need a cab as the Port (docks) are hard to manuver....We are booked on the July 31 Sailing - we'll watch your posts for comments on your sailing.... Renee (aka GotToCruise)

Fawlty Towers
:D :D :D

And don't forget to ask for their speciality... Waldorf Salad! I had a Basil Fawlty impersonator at my husband's surprise 50th birthday celebrations. Worth every penny... had the guests in stitches.

Bob & Barb

This thread may be of some help Southampton Hotels Thread in particular the last post.

Laura

We stayed at the Thistle Hotel at Charing Cross while in London and was quite pleased. We paid $115.00 through Priceline (without breakfast). I was a little leery when we were first confirmed at that hotel, but we would definitely stay there again. The hotel is central to everything and we were able to walk from one end of London to the other. We asked to stay in the newly renovated portion with a view. We could see "Big Ben" from our window - across the roof tops, of course. The room was very clean and nicely furnished. The beds were very comfortable and the bathroom was quite large. The hotel is 20 - 25 minutes walking time to Buckingham Palace, a short distance to the Eye and the "street artists, Trafalgar Square, Parliament, etc. We ate most of our meals at a little Pup not far from the Square. Their toll free number from the US is 1-800-847-4358. London was one of the highlights of our trip. Sorry, we did not stay in Southampton. Have a wonderful trip.

In London I was very very pleased with the Thistle Tower hotel. It is not in the middle of town but very close to a tube stop. It is located next to the Tower of London and you have plenty of time to get tickets to the Ceremony of the Keys. This is at about 9 or 10 at night when the castle is locked. You can only get the tickets in advance. The hotel has wonderful views of the Thames and the Tower bridge.

Thank you all for your comments. That was exactly what we were looking for. Will research everything and book a room(s) soon. Of course our first choice will be Fawlty Towers...... :D

Will keep looking for any other helpful hints.

Thanks, Bob & Barb

Tell me this isn't the Bob of the 9/4/04 Diamond!!! This is WAVTAM. We our getting off the Golden the day you guys get on. We our on the 5/22/05 run. will call you from Boston next week off the Grand. Wayne

Just one more try before we go ahead and book our hotels in London and South Hampton.
You might want to note that it really is "Southampton", not "South Hampton". If you try to book hotels in the latter place, you might end up somewhere you didn't mean to. (Just in case you hadn't picked this up from all the posts above.)

Yes, Wayne -- that's me good buddy. How's Trudy? Will be looking forward to your call next week. :D Are you going to be able to pay a visit south of Boston?

Thanks for that correction Globalizer. I should have picked up on that one. I have it straight now. :o

Bob

Avoid the Holiday Inn in Southampton at all costs. Very run down, decorated in brown and orange, nonexisitant sound proofing. Looks like a nightmare from the 70's. The Grand Harbour is a beautiful hotel which looks over the harbor and I believe their room rates include breakfast. It is also walking distance (about a block) to a mall as well as the historical area. A very short cab ride to the port.

Oh Boy - Thanks for that info - I have reserved the Holiday Inn on Points @ No Cost :D - but I'd rather pay and enjoy my stay :confused: - Funny that a previous poster said he enjoyed his stay and would stay there again! :confused:

Different strokes for different folks I guess - but I will see what I can do to cancel my res.

Anyone else with comments??

Renee (aka GotToCruise)

Cricket etc. - Thanks for the information --- I don't (usually) mind paying when it's "necessary" ;) - but,

best rate I could find for the Devere Grand Harbor was 130GBP for the 1 night for July 30 - even w/Breakfast - this is a bit steep to just lay my head down prior to embarking the ship! (Approx. $260 US).

We really don't need the "Only 5 star hotel in Southampton" for this very short stay- just a clean room and comfortable bed - and within walking distance to some of the Southampton sights.

I'm going to keep my (Free) Holiday Inn reservation - don't mind brown and orange at all - and hey! - the 70's was my time anyway - I'll be right at home!! :D and I'll save a lot of $$ for spending during our cruise!!

The Following from another's post....

I have stayed in the Holiday Inn near the port and it is relatively inexpensive and quite decent--typical of most Holiday Inns. The Avis lot is directly behind the hotel. (There is another Holiday Inn Express way outside of town, so make sure you specify to the cab driver which you want.)

Best part is that you can cross the street and walk down about a block and find the Maritime Museum where you can stock up on books and things on ships that have sailed out of Southampton, including the Titanic. I got my nephew a book about the history of Southampton harbor and a Titanic mug, along with some postcards of various ships. The museum has a very nice display of artifacts.

You can also walk a little further on, and you'll find a historical museum with even Roman artifacts. This walk will take you along the Southampton ancient walls. There are historical markers and if you have time (about an hour) you can even walk around the entire walls.

Finally, also more directly across the street away from the harbor, you can walk to the center of town and a shopping center. There is a reasonably priced internet cafe in the basement of the shopping center, if you want to send some messages out before you board the ship where it is MUCH more expensive.

It is difficult to get close to the ships because of the warehouses and parking/storage lots around the harbor, but some rooms of the hotel have obstructed views of the harbor.

Hey, if I add up the expensive Princess Airport Transfers and a "5 Star Hotel" Pre-cruise stay - I could upgrade to a mini-suite (from Balcony Cabin) for the cruise (for 1 PAX at least!) - now, THAT would be worth the $$! Something to think about!!!

Archived