Daylight Savings Time

We're sailing next week on Radiance, W. Carrib. Leaving Sunday, which is when the switch to DST is this year. I've read that Grand Cayman does not do DST, so which time will the ship be on when we're in that port? Makes a difference as to time of excursion as I understand it can take awhile to tender in. Thanks,

You will also be visiting Cozumel and while Mexico does observe Daylight Saving Time they do not do so until April 6th. So Cozumel will actually be 2 hours behind ship's time unless they decide to change the ship's time to match the local time.

We're sailing next week on Radiance, W. Carrib. Leaving Sunday, which is when the switch to DST is this year. I've read that Grand Cayman does not do DST, so which time will the ship be on when we're in that port? Makes a difference as to time of excursion as I understand it can take awhile to tender in. Thanks,
Its up to the ship. Last week the NOS stayed on ships time. The locals should know because the harbor master schedules all arrival & departures.

The tender ride is only about 5 min. Of course, they try and get a whole bunch on the tender, before they cross--that can take a bit of time.

Don't worry about the time changes. If your excursions says 10am, go at 10 am SHIP'S TIME. Your guide does this for a living and will know what time he should meet you! Your watch should always be set to ship's time--not to the local time, whatever it is!!!!!!

T

The tender ride is only about 5 min. Of course, they try and get a whole bunch on the tender, before they cross--that can take a bit of time.

Don't worry about the time changes. If your excursions says 10am, go at 10 am SHIP'S TIME. Your guide does this for a living and will know what time he should meet you! Your watch should always be set to ship's time--not to the local time, whatever it is!!!!!!

The reason I asked is because we booked an independent excursion, so the time they gave is Island time....

BTW your tour operator should not charge you if the ship is late or the port is skipped. I use Captain Marvin in GC and that is his policy. I say this because spring is the windy season in the Caribbean and GC is sometimes missed.

Thanks to all for your help. Interesting that our itinerary says we're in George Town from 10 - 6.....? Sounds like we'll be ok whether or not the ship stays on DST or goes by Cayman time, our trip goes from 10:45 to about 1:30.

Hi,

I see posts often advising people not to worry when they get to the port and what time they have their tour, " because the operator will know what time the ship gets in " ...... that is not always correct: if the operator is a small tour operator and only will depend / serve the passengers from 'that' particuclar ship - I do agree, that this particular operator might / will wait for those passengers.

But if it is a large tour operator and serves many cruise ships and local tourists as well - that will not be true that 'he / they' will adjust their time to yours. How can they ? Not all the cruise ships in port are on local time, EST or EDT ( and there can be few of the ships there) , the tourists who are in GC on vacation and are taken the same tour as well, are on local time.

So how can one expect this large tour operator to satisfy whatever time the passengers observe ..... so for them there is only one time - the local time.

We booked independently ( on the internet) and went on Atlantis tour in GC - they serve many cruise ships that are in port and the visiting GC tourists as well ...... so they only work with their local time, regardless of ship's time. We had to wait for our booked time, which was based on the local time and not the ship's time.

So , please check with the operator if they only serve / wait for you and passengers from your ship or others as well - it might make a difference.

Wes

Archived