If you could pick ANY RCCL ship....

Radiance or any of her sister ships hands down...all the glass...the perfect size...the solarium...the spa...the seaview cafe...the beautiful wood, etc,

Explorer is wonderful especially since she sails from NJ but would love to have a Radiance ship up this way so I don't have to fly...

wow, based on these comments, we need to book a radiance class ship!! amoung our cruises, we have sailed vision class three times...loved them and are booked vision class again. highly recommended by us. agree about older ships, booked on the monarch in october. gonna miss the empress, too!

If you loved the Vision class you will love the Radiance class...we sure did!

Another vote for Radiance. Was on it last year and really loved it. Just came off the Liberty Saturday, it was nice but it really did feel crowded. I was on Explorer and Voyager and loved the Promenades and never felt crowded, but the Liberty was that way. Forget a chair at the pool on sea days. We stayed on our balcony since everything was on overload.

We booked Serenade for next year -- glad to see positive reviews. Actually, the only bad ship I was ever on -- and I do mean BAD -- was the Big Red Boat!! My first cruise and almost was my last if I hadn't already booked Enchantment!! That sure made up for the awful cruise on the BRB -- it swayed, the room was flooded, everything smelled of mildew, lots of people sick all over the ship, terrible!

Radiance Class is my 1st choice . . have been on Serenade, Jewel and Radiance - all are fabulous. Have also enjoyed Voyager class with their ice shows and Royal Promenade. What we didn't like . . Freedom Class, but that may be because it is, in our opinion, very "kid" oriented and we like to opt for something more "adult"'.

Seems Radiance class is a winner on this board!

With so much preference shown on this thread for Radiance class ships, it makes you wonder why RCI keeps building ships larger and larger and.... Folks on here are generally dedicated cruisers and, as can be seem from their posts, have lots of experience in cruising. Seems like the cruise companies would be interested in these opinions when making their decisions on the size/design of new ships.

OK so my big 40 is this year (in December) and I know I want to go on a cruise and I know it will be RCCL. I am not hung up on itinary because I have been to Mexico and Caribbean locations before and always enjoy myself no matter what.

SO with that said if you had to pick a cruise based on SHIP

Which would you choose?

Please include comments regarding newer ships like the Independence. Should I pick that simply because it is a new ship? Do I wait for the kinks to work out?

December -- what date? 19th here, DW is 23rd.

I see you are on the west coast. I don't the ship is there in December, but I adore the Radiance as an elegant, classy ship, lots of great spaces, and plenty of bells and whistles of a modern ship even if not the full suburban mall feel of the larger ships in voyager and freedom class. If you dont wish to ice skate, box, or surf on the ship, you might not miss a thing. Others will advise differently I am sure.

With so much preference shown on this thread for Radiance class ships, it makes you wonder why RCI keeps building ships larger and larger and.... Folks on here are generally dedicated cruisers and, as can be seem from their posts, have lots of experience in cruising. Seems like the cruise companies would be interested in these opinions when making their decisions on the size/design of new ships.

Unfortunately, Cruise Critic members make up only a tiny portion of cruisers. Economy of scale and bottom line figures for investors drive what the cruise lines will build and operate. With the technology there to make bigger ships, it makes economic sense for the lines to build it bigger. If you could fit double the number of passengers that a Radiance class ship carries onto one ship, you can have one (albeit bigger) crew operating one ship. It just makes sense, as long as you can fill the ships.

I am a huge fan of the Radiance class ships, but the mass cruise market, fuel and operating costs seem to favor larger and larger ships. I truly hope that RCI starts to build "smaller :rolleyes: " ships like the Radiance class after they finish with the Genesis class. The glass, decor and intimate size are perfect for enjoying cruises to the smaller islands and Europe.

Eric

Actually I have never forced myself to sit and think of a favorite...it's tough. Love the Radiance Class but if someone said you are leaving tomorrow I'd probably go with the Mariner. Something about that gal.

I agree...love the Mariner! Is Capt. Johnny still on there? He was a hoot!

• 5 weeks later...

Amazing responses! I have been on the Vision and the Serenade so far and I am going on the Monarch in a couple of weeks before it leaves the west coast. I loved loved loved the Serenade, so I may just book the Radiance to check it out. We are not too picky about itinery as long as we have good beaches! Chances are we will have our 3 year old but I dont know if I am ready to "move" up to the BIG ships yet. Maybe when she is 7+ so that she can really enjoy all the benefits of the larger ships.

I love the responses and would love to hear more! Thanks! :)

(BTW my birthday is 12/26)

Archived