Royal Caribbean Changed My Hump Cabin

It seems at least as likely to me that the travel agent failed to make deposit on time and had to "let" you be upgraded because the stateroom you were in was no longer available.

If that's the case, calling RCI is not going to get you anywhere because despite everyone's assumptions, RCI didn't move you at all!

If it makes any difference, I'd certainly pursue this with the travel agent.

You are basing that opinion on what? There was absolutely no mention of the TA.

I can't believe they upgrade you without calling first? I never heard of such a thing. I just called my TA to tell him I want no upgrades.. I'm so glad I read this board!

On our first RCI cruise on the Rhapsody, we had three couples going. Carefully booked our three cabins together. Upon boarding, one couple could not get the key to work in their door. Neither could the cabin steward. He checked his manifest and found they had been "upgraded" one deck up clear to the front of the ship about as far away from us as they could put them. TA was never contacted and asked if it was o.k. He was not happy when he found out because if they had contacted him, he said he probably wouldn't even have called us about it since in his estimatation it wasn't even an upgrade--center of the ship to the far front and away from the three linked reservations. He says they have done that to him more than once.

So they do "upgrade" you without permission. If I am in love with my cabin location, I tell the TA to put in the reservation not to upgrade me because basically all the non-suite cabins (with the exception of humps and afts) are just about the same. Location is what changes the prices. The higher you go, towards the middle of the ship, the more you pay.

On Princess they did call my TA to ask if we would accept an upgrade. We were enroute and couldn't be contacted. However, when he saw that it was from a low inside decj to an outside on Deck 7,with a floor to ceiling window, he accepted. He "apologized" later because he couldn't confirm it with me but having booked many cruises for us, he knew it would be acceptable. Advantage of working with a TA who knows your likes and dislikes and knows what is an "upgrade" and what isn't.

Tucker in Texas

Great thread as I have questions you will probably be able to help me with. From checking out deck plans it appears the hump cabins have bigger balconies. I'd like the biggest I can get. Any suggestion for a cabin to select? We're planning for 2/7/10, but no reservation yet. I hope they are still available. Also, are the rooms bigger? I don't think so but I just want to confirm. Thanks, Kaboochi

Archived