Formal nights dress for kids...

I read that men need suits and women need coctail dresses. What about kids? I have two boys (ages 14 adn 6). I don't want to buy them suits just for 1 night.

Honestly, my husband doesn't want to bring a suit either. I know we can eat outside of the dining room but we would really rather not. Can we get away with just dressy (nice pants and shirt with tie for him and the boys and a nice dress for me)?

I read that men need suits and women need coctail dresses. What about kids? I have two boys (ages 14 adn 6). I don't want to buy them suits just for 1 night.

Honestly, my husband doesn't want to bring a suit either. I know we can eat outside of the dining room but we would really rather not. Can we get away with just dressy (nice pants and shirt with tie for him and the boys and a nice dress for me)?

If your desire is to "get away with" not dressing in accordance to the guidelines, the answer is - yes, you can.

On my first cruise my boys were young. Some one suggested going to a thrift store like the Rescue Mission. I got 2 suits for them. Barely worn. I think I paid 5 dollars a piece and had them cleaned and they looked great. Went to Wal-mart for dress shirts. So the total per boy about 15$ One of the suits has been handed down to other boys 4 times now!

My boys 16 and 12 wear dress pants/dress shirt/tie.

It seems in the brochure it mentions nothing about kids wear on formal nite just men and women. I don't consider my boys men yet! :eek: ;) :D

I had also called RCCL and played dumb asking the rep that I have never been on a cruise before and what should my teen boys wear on formal? The Rep said "neat and dressy attire" I then said do they need a jacket? she said "that would be up to you." :rolleyes: :) ;)

When we cruised with my DDs (now 25, 22, and 19), we had them dress up for the formal dinner. Now that we usually cruise without them, we skip the formal dinner all together because there is less clothing to drag along. We love eating at the buffet that night, and feel that if that meal is a special "dress up" event for other guests, why should we spoil it because we don't feel like getting dressed up that night. You can certainly eat in the dining room the other nights, if you don't want to spend the money on suits or jackets for your boys. (I do like that thrift shop idea though!)

What? They actually ALLOW kids in the dining room on formal night?:confused:

I'm kidding, I have two of my own. On our last cruise my son was 14 and we go him a suit. He was growing like a weed at the time. It fit him for about 3 weeks. If you are buying suits for kids, go cheap. Jeesh.

I think it is your call as long as the kids look 'dressy' and more 'dressy' than a regular night.

I have a son 12 and he wore a blazer but no tie and he was fine. For him this was very dressed up ;)

I don't think I would go out and buy a suit just for this occasion..after all, you are on vacation....

Can we get away with just dressy (nice pants and shirt with tie for him and the boys and a nice dress for me)?

Yes you can however on formal night most men will have on a jacket with tie and some will be in tuxedos. If the cost is a problem I agree that you can find nice clothing at a thrift store and I have found nice dresses for formal night for my DD on eBay when she was growing so fast I knew it would only be worn once:) . It all comes down to what you will be comfortable with. Remember you can also have a very nice "formal" photo taken that night.

I say dress your children as you would on Easter. The great thing about the family getting "dressed up" is that possibly once in a life time picture. The formal pictures are beautiful, and actually a joy to have. Totally agree with the poster who advised thrift stores. Especially this time of year (Easter). You should be able to find some great things for next to nothing, including shirts, ties, pants. ALL of my formal wear comes from thrift stores. Cost me more to have them cleaned than I usually pay for them.

My boys (12 and 15) wear Docker-type pants, shirts and ties to formal nights, no jacket. My husband takes a suit. However, no one is going to deny your entry into the dining room as long as you are dressed in acceptable attire. Formal attire is suggested, not required. So if your husband wants to dress as the boys will and just wear nice pants, a shirt and tie, no one will say a word and you will fit in fine. Shorts and tank tops are about the only real no-no's for the dining room, but unfortunately you'll see those too. We saw men in jeans and t-shirts on formal night at dinner. They didn't bother me.

Thanks for all the replies. Actually it isn't about cost, it is about space. We are flying and are also staying in FL after the cruise for a week. Packing dressy attire would take up more space in our luggage than I would like (probably forcing us to use an extra bag). It is hectic enough in the airport and such with the two boys and our bags. I want to keep it as simple as possible. I don't mind dressing up (we will definately bring some nice clothes) but the whole suit thing and coctail dress require more space that other dress clothes. KWIM

We are flying in, staying overnight before we board. We then have another week in florida before flying back. But theres noway I would not want to bring the Tux and evening dresses. My biggest worry is that my bag will get lost:eek: I have already decided that i will carry on one evening outfit just in case;)

we just got back from vos 2 weeks ago. i ended up just buying some really cute dress outfits for my girls (10, 7) at macy's, on sale! not formal, but nice dresses. they'll get some use out of them. but they had a great time dressing up and loved formal nights. i really liked having their pictures taken and then a family shot of me and DH in his suit. we rarely are all together looking so nice!

Thanks for all the replies. Actually it isn't about cost, it is about space. We are flying and are also staying in FL after the cruise for a week. Packing dressy attire would take up more space in our luggage than I would like (probably forcing us to use an extra bag). It is hectic enough in the airport and such with the two boys and our bags. I want to keep it as simple as possible. I don't mind dressing up (we will definately bring some nice clothes) but the whole suit thing and coctail dress require more space that other dress clothes. KWIM
Well, if it's truly about space and not cost - problem solved. Rent tuxes from the cruiseline.

RCI does not discriminate. Kids are expected to follow the same dress code.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/whatToKnow/whatToPack.do;jsessionid=0000HPZhX-rItqMSt5oky9AUhXz:10ktdmqkf

Burlington just advertised boys suits for $30. If you can't afford $30, how can you afford a cruise?

I never said I couldn't afford it. It is more of a space issue than a $ one. Also, I just can't see putting out money for something I don't really need.

Archived