Hotel Orly, Santiago

Dr.Oz

Google is your friend...

Try searching for "Hotel Orly" and "Santiago" and "elevator".

It should lead you to a Tripadvisor review posted on March 13, 2007 by lesretraites from Canada who states, "The elevator was miniscule, but it exists."

Stayed at the Orly two year ago. To my recollection, there was a small elevator which we used only for luggage transportation and took the steps (circular, I think) the rest of the time.

Hope this is correct. Too many travels, too many hotels since then. ;)

They have usually gotten back to me within a day or two. Two days being the longest. I even wrote back asking for recommendations for other hotels in the area and they were quick to respond. If they haven't responded within two days, I would suggest you resend your e-mail. Good luck.

Just back yesterday from a cruise from Santiago to Buenos Aires and stayed at Hotel Orly the first night. We had a room on the third floor and yes, they DEFINITELY have an elevator and we did use it consistently.

Cathy

Cathy, did you stay at a hotel in Santiago. If so, which one. I'm looking at the Best Western Hotel Los Espanoles, which The Orly recommended since they have no availability the night we will be there. It gets very good reviews on Trip Advisor. How was your weather. Did you go to Punta Tomba to see the penguins. What did you do in Montevideo. Thanks for the information.

Janet

Janet,

Yes, I did stay at the Hotel Orly and was extremely impressed. Since that's the only place in Santiago we stayed, I can't make comment on the other places.

As far as our weather....we were very very lucky. Amazing weather until we got to the Horn and it was pretty stormy and we had to cut that short, but hey.....others have talked of much worse, so all was good.

Yes, we went to Punta Tomba and I loved it. It was about a two hour ride for us with private tour although I understand the ship bus is longer. It's also on some dirt dusty roads, but it was so worth it, so I would definitely recommend it if you are interested in penguins and other wildlife.

As far as Montevideo, we took a private tour for two with Liz from Real English Tours. She has a set tour on her web site, but I talked to her online before the cruise and she customized a tour to our liking. She doesn't do big groups and it's more a couples type tour. We did about a three hour tour and then she let us off downtown to explore the markets/squares on our own since they are walkable from the ship. Liz is best if you are interested in the history and not everyone is....so that would be my stipulation on her tours. But she definitely knows Montevideo.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask all the questions you need. I know that I depended HUGELY on the advice given on these boards and this is my way of "paying back" since I was given information to make this an amazing trip.

Cathy

Thanks, Cathy, for your reply. I've been reading your comments on other threads and they are very informative. I'm glad to have read your comments about Punta Tomba. I wasn't aware that the walk to see the penguins was that difficult on rugged terrain. Is it an hour walk on the gravel road? My husband just had hip replacement surgery in Jan. (although our trip is not until next Feb.) and one other person in our group has had double knee replacement, so I'm concerned about the long walk. We may have to rethink our plans and take the ferry ride to Magnalena Island in Punta Arenas. It doesn't sound like it's a long walk to see the penguins there. How was the ferry ride?

Thanks for all your good advice, sounds like you had a wonderful trip.

Janet

First off, I want to say that after a three week trip, your memory can get fuzzy about some of the information from the beginning of the trip. Bullswood is RIGHT!!!! I remembered getting in the elevator and being taken up to our room on the third floor but yes, there WAS one more flight of stairs if you were on that floor. I would say that if you NEED the elevator, that you could make this known to Hotel Orley that you want a room on the 2nd floor when making the reservation. I'm so very sorry about my insight and thank Bullswood for helping my brain cells.

Janet, As far as Punta Tomba....it's really a rough call. It's not a hard hike per se, but if you have trouble walking, then I suppose it could get a little harder. As I've said, it's like a gravel but with bigger stones. The good thing would be that you will see penguins very very early and there is nothing saying you would have to walk the entire path all the way to the water. The con would be that the majority of penguins are by the water. As far as Magdelena Island....for us, the weather was beautiful and the ferry was as smooth as could be. Since this was booked through the ship, they had many bus loads. On the first ferry, the people got off the bus and walked on the ferry and had a room they could go in if it was cold. On the second ferry, they drove the buses right on and you could still get off the buses but if you were cold or wanted to sit, you would go back in the bus. I was in this group. The penguins are all close together here and the area is smaller. There is a walk that goes up a hill to a lighthouse, but you don't see any more penguins by walking it since they really are wall to wall. Both experiences were different so I couldn't even say which is better but yes, for someone having walking difficulties, Puerto Arenas may be a better choice. Good luck and have a wonderful time.

Cathy

Cathy, I just want to thank you for all the wonderful information you have provided and for answering all my questions so promptly. I read your trip review and thoroughly enjoyed it, what a great review. We are certainly looking forward to our trip next Feb.

I am very disappointed that the Hotel Orly is booked while we are in Santiago. I'm looking into another place to stay, but the communication is slow with the particular person I've contacted. I guess I'll just have to be patient or contact another hotel.

Janet

Janet,

I'm sorry that the Hotel Orly is booked. Are you saying you are getting slow responses from them or from another hotel? We found Hotel Orly to be quite prompt in both reservations and also in giving us tour guide references and transportation from the airport to hotel. Is there a way you could get on a waiting list and did they say ALL rooms were booked or were you asking for a certain category? Since all of their rooms are different, they charge different amounts depending on category.

Wish I could help offer alternatives, but since Hotel Orly was my first choice and I got in, I didn't research further. Good luck in your search and let us know what you come up with.

Cathy

Cathy, the Orly told me that all rooms were booked by a group. They did offer a few suggestions, two of which didn't get very good reviews on Trip Advisor. I did contact Hotel Los Espanoles, one they recommended, and they sent me their rates. When I wrote to them asking specific questions (twice), I didn't get a reply. They did, however, get a good review on Trip Advisor.

I contacted Hotel Orly again today and asked to be placed on a waiting list. I need three rooms, so hopefully something will become available with them between now and next Feb. We like the area that the Hotel Orly is located. I've also read that the Hotel Kennedy is a nice place to stay, so I may contact them.

Janet

Janet,

I'm sure that where ever you end up staying will be a huge success. Santiago is a fun city and so easy to navigate on your own. We loved the location of Hotel Orly (in Provencia) but I'm sure there are many other great options and you seem like one that also does your "homework", so I'm sure you too will find a nice gem in the city as well. Good luck and keep us posted on what you find out.

Cathy

Archived