Pre Cruise Hotel - Suggestions ?

We are flying into Sydney the day before our Cruise, arriving about 8:00 AM, Sydney time (December 2008) Are there any CC Member suggested/recommended Hotels in the Quay/Rocks area that offer free transportation from the Airport to Hotel ? We are hoping to stay in the under $ 200.00 a night range if at all possible. Thank You for any suggestions : )

To my knowledge, the only hotels that provide free transfers are airport hotels. Any city hotel that provides transfers, the transfer cost will be included in a higher cost for accommodation.

You can travel to your hotel by basic van, with interesting clientelle from all over the world, by train direct from airport, or by taxi.

http://www.kst.com.au/airport.php

You'll definitely be able to get accommodation under $200 in Sydney in December. I would book within 28 days of arrival at wotif.com.

Some of the American CCers have recommended Russell Hotel. Its well located but for under $200 you would share a bathroom! Other have gotten good deals through Priceline for Sydney Harbour Marriott which is also well located but a bit more upmarket. I've seen people say they have gotten rooms there for about $150.

This thread might help.

We just booked a hotel pre-cruise in Sydney. I bid $120.00 for a 4 Star and got the Marriott Hotel Sydney across from Hyde Park. You can catch the rail from the Airport to a few blocks from the Hotel. If you're willing to bid a little more you can most likely get the Marriott Harbor Circular Quay by bidding for a 5 star. I'd start at $160 for a 5 Star and go up $5.00 a day.

Are there any CC Member suggested/recommended Hotels in the Quay/Rocks area that offer free transportation from the Airport to Hotel?
As others say, don't get hung up on free transport from the airport to the hotel. Even if you get a taxi from the airport to the hotel, which is probably the best way of making that trip if you have cruise luggage, it's really not going to cost very much because the airport is so close to the city centre.

I'd recommend trying to get the Sydney Harbour Marriott by bidding on Priceline, as one of the strings to your bow. (Also find and make a backup reservation somewhere else for a good rate that you can cancel.) That Marriott can be astonishingly good value booked in this way. And unlike many Priceline cities, bidding for a 5* hotel in Sydney will pretty reliably get you this hotel if you get anything - although nothing is every guaranteed, of course.

For those looking for a unique hotel in Sydney, I recommend:

Sebel Pier One at Dawes Point, harbourfront, around the corner from Circular Quay, where most ships dock, on the other side of the Harbour Bridge.

As it was built on one of the heritage timber finger wharves, it has the feel of being on a ship. For theatre lovers, it is close to the Sydney Theatre Company's Theatres, Wharf I and II, and the Wharf Restaurant, with stunning harbour views.

http://www.sebelpierone.com.au

I stayed at the Russell for a week back in 2002 and loved it. Location was perfect and price was cheap. Of course back then in was almost 2:1 for the US $$! Shared bath presented no issues for me, two rooms share a bath and things were always clean during my stay. It was fantastic to walk around the harbor and Rocks area every night and enjoy the sights. I used a bus service from the airport and they dropped me off right at the front door of the Russell.

I just recently stayed at the Marriott and loved it. I booked through Priceline nine months earlier. Beds comfortable and staff very helpful. Highly recommended. Only 2 blocks from Circular Quay. They even gave me a non-smoking, king bed, when requested after Priceline booked it. A 5 star hotel for $150 (U.S.) was and is a great deal! Tip: right next to the hotel is the Alpha Cafe: great breakfast and lunch menus at low prices.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you all for the great suggestions and comments. We ultimately bid on a 5 Star Hotel at Priceline (in Sydney-City Central area) and "Viola" We will be staying at the Marriott Sydney Harbour for a great price. We are truely greatful for the CC website (and) the CC members / friends that are always so helpful :) We are sooooooooo looking forward to our Austrailian Cruise and staying at the Marriott - Thank you, again !!

If you don't mind my asking, how much per night did you get it for? I started bidding in November 07 for a 5 star and went up to $160 per night without any luck. I gave up and bid a 4 star for $120 and got it first bid. We got the Marriott Sydney on College Street (not the Mariott Harbor Circular Quay) but it was still a great deal at $120 per night.

DougH

Russell is a great location for a week, at a reasonable price.

For anyone looking for longer visits using basic accommodation, I stay at and recommend -

De Vere Hotel at Potts Point 3.5 star

http://www.devere.com.au

Current last minute discount rate is $Aus109.

or

CWA Potts Point

http://www.cwaofnsw.org.au

Non members are welcome, at the following daily rates:

Motel style Bed and Breakfast for a couple is $Aus122.50

Single rooms for ladies, with shared facilities, are $Aus60.50

I love the village atmosphere of Potts Point, with great restaurants, walks along the harbourfront to Elizabeth Bay and trendy Double Bay, walk to city through Botanical Gardens, via Art Gallery, etc.

Transport: Shuttle to the door from the airport or taxi from the port. Local bus at the door with 2 routes - one to Circular Quay, one to Railway Square. Train from Kings Cross.

My husband and I stayed at the CWA after our last cruise, whilst I arranged for our friends to stay at the unique superbly located harbourfront Sebel Pier One.

If you don't mind my asking, how much per night did you get it for? I started bidding in November 07 for a 5 star and went up to $160 per night without any luck.
Were you bidding too early? Priceline rooms are not made available on a first come first served basis. Priceline is a way for the hotel to sell distressed inventory. But hotels often don't know that the inventory will be distressed until much closer to stay date.

Dchabira - we just bid a few days ago and got the Sydney Harbour Marriott for $161 per night for November 08 so more than six months in advance.

Did you check the room availability on the Marriott website before bidding? Maybe a large event on in the hotel the dates you were looking at or it might have needed just the extra few dollars!

Hi,

When I went to Sydney this March, 08, I went on Priceline to bid for a 5 star hotel and they told me that it is always the Marriott at Circular Quay.

I started my bid at 150 and originally they didn't like it and wanted me to put 165...I later clear my cache and redid my bid and I got it for $151. So did all my other friends who was with me in March.

The Marriott at Circular Quay is the perfect location. When I got off the ship on 3-21-08, I just rolled my luggage across the street to the Marriott...It was not even worth taking a taxi cuz it was only 10 mins walk away.

... I went on Priceline to bid for a 5 star hotel and they told me that it is always the Marriott at Circular Quay.
I know that this is true (or as close to true as you can get with Priceline), but I'm curious to know how you got this information out of Priceline?

When I bid for - and won - the Marriott Sydney Harbour, I did it almost exactly at the 11 month pre-stay bidding date. Got it for $151.

We were on the Mercury cruise from Auckland to Sydney in February, with arrival in Sydney on Saturday and disembarkation on Sunday. We were able to walk off with our luggage on the Saturday morning, go through customs and walk our luggage over to the Marriott to leave with the bellman. When we got off the ship on Sunday, we just had our hand luggage and didn't have to wait for our color to be called or search for our regular luggage. It was at the hotel, waiting for us! Totally painless:D Great way to start our post-cruise holiday.

We were at the Marriott Sydney Harbour for 3 nights and then flew off to Adelaide for a few days. When we got back to Sydney we moved into the other Marriott on College Street - also a Priceline win at 11 months (at, I think, $135). The College St. hotel isn't quite as luxurious, but extremely comfortable and the room was almost a suite, including a little kitchenette and a large corner bathtub. Great way to end the trip.

Hi Sharon and everyone

I have never been brave enough to bid for a hotel. In fact only learned about Priceline when Sharon you told me.

How was your cruise by the way?

I am going to be staying in Singapore for 2 nights and then also 2 nights in Auckland.

I have been looking at Hotels and don't really want to pay more than £100 per nights. I had been going to do the flights with X but as they will only use Qantas and I would have needed to change in London Singapore and then Sydney.

I have now booked my own flights with Singapore Airlines and will fly direct from my UK airport and then can fly direct to Auckland. On arrival in Sydney I will fly to Perth with Qantas and then fly back from Perth via Singapore to Manchester so only one stop.

Apart from the convenience I have saved £335 by doing so and I have the control over my arrangements. Now I just need to sort the Hotel.

Any advice on whether I should be brave enough?

Sue

Hi Sue,

Our cruise was fantastic -- in fact, our entire trip was fantastic! Can't wait to get back to NZ, but for a longer trip - maybe 6 weeks in a small RV.

BTW, you can't bid on Priceline for Auckland as they have no inventory there AFAIK. On lastminute.com (the Australian version!), the 5* secret hotel in Auckland is generally the Duxton.

Enjoy planning your trip.

The Marriot on Circular Quay is really a super tip for cruisers since one can do just about all the interesting points in Sydney by foot from there. You can even head for the ship with your luggage from there if your ship is going to be at circular quay. It is really in spitting distance.

If any of you don't already know about the website "BetterBidding.com" check it out. Here is the link-

http://www.betterbidding.com/

It has been a great resource for me. It has a directory of the hotels that both Priceline and Hotwire use. It makes it easy to figure out just what you're bidding on by star ratings. Also, people post there most recent wins so you can get a pretty good idea what amount to bid.

My wife and I are going to Sydney 5DEC08 and staying precruise 2 days at the Hilton Sydney.......Any info on this Hotel? How does it compare to the Sheraton? or the Marriot?

Andy

I was just able to get the Marriott Sydney Harbour for $185.00/night in December on Priceline. The Marriott website is currently charging 360 AUD. I guess I am a happy camper!!!

Safe Travels!

Archived