St. Thomas Helmet Diving

tarhewants2cruz

We have been fans of cruisecritic.com for some years now but have never posted before. We are cruising the Caribbean Princess in April and are interested in the St. Thomas helmet diving excursion. We are not swimmers and are nervous about being claustrophic under the water. Does anyone have any experience with this excursion or know where I could find review?

We have been fans of cruisecritic.com for some years now but have never posted before. We are cruising the Caribbean Princess in April and are interested in the St. Thomas helmet diving excursion. We are not swimmers and are nervous about being claustrophic under the water. Does anyone have any experience with this excursion or know where I could find review?

I would love to know too....

My wife, who is not a strong swimmer, went on a helmet dive in French Polynesia (sorry, don't remember which port), said it was great, and not at all claustrophobic.

In fact, she raved about it so much I was sorry I did not sign up for it! Next time!!

We had some friends who went helmet diving last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. Neither had any scuba experience so they thought this would be a fun way to get the feel of the scuba experience. Neither of them had any trouble and they plan on doing this on their next cruise. Their only regret was that they didn't get to stay underwater longer than they did.

We went on the Helmet Dive in St. Thomas in January, It was great!!

I was a little nervous and I tend to err on the side of caution but I took the plunge and it was terrific. The worst part was the water was on the cool side. Next time I'll try Snuba and then I think I will eventually try Scuba!

I just did the helmet dive in Aruba last month, it was pricey, but really neat. I think the one in Aruba might be deeper, up to 25 feet. I did have to stop twice while going down the ladder to equalize my ears. I didn't feel claustraphobic, but you do have a limited field of vision in front of you.

Archived