Portofino's Cost?

Does Portofino's require additional cost, or just making the reservation? (AOS) Thanks.

Paul L

Portofino will cost $20 per person (not including tip) and is worth every penny!:D Reservations are definitely required.

There seems to be some disagreement about the cost. Portofino is $20 pp; Chops is $25 pp.

On my last cruise (Empress in Oct.), we ate at Portofino, and I have to say that it was one of the best meals I've ever had (and I've eaten at some excellent restaurants). Definitely worth it.

Paul, if you like seafood you've got to try the Seafood Skewer! There's a photo of it somewhere on a nearby thread. Seems like most of us like Portofino better than Chops but both are a nice change from the dining room and I think the filet of beef is better at Portofino than at Chops. Bon Appetite!

We ate at Portofino's one night during our January cruise this year. It was the best $20.00 we ever spent. And the service and attention to detail was superb. If you will have access to a concierge on your cruise, E-Mail him before you leave and have him make reservations. If you do not have access to a concierge make sure to book your Portofino's reservations the first day on the ship since getting a table after the second day at sea is hard to do.

I have always wondered why you have to pay extra to have great food. From all the comments it would seem that the food at the "pay" restaurants is far superior to the dinning room food. Why shouldn't all food aboard be special???

Mocorobabe

I have always wondered why you have to pay extra to have great food. From all the comments it would seem that the food at the "pay" restaurants is far superior to the dinning room food. Why shouldn't all food aboard be special???

Mocorobabe

On our last cruise, the food in the dining room was great, but the food in Portofino's was better, but it is a difference of cooking for thousands vs a couple hundred....

There seems to be some disagreement about the cost. Portofino is $20 pp; Chops is $25 pp.

It varies, on the Navigator in 2004 we were charged $25 at Portofino and Chops. Shortly after our cruise it was reduced to $20 and recently they raised the charge again to $25 in Chops.

It is far superior to the dining room. They would have to really raise the fares to provide excellent meals in all venues.

###

Mocorobabe

In some cases they are serving 3600 passengers in a very short time frame. Ok with two seatings they're still serving 1800 people. Thinkg about the logistics in that!

Mocorobabe

Because this way they can get some revenue from it. I kinda doubt the fee is solely tip, tho some of the documentation makes it sound that way.

I also think that the better cuts of meat, etc., have gone up enuf that it's well more expensive to feed the entire ship "the good stuff." They could raise cruise fare but have chosen instead to offer the specialty restaurants.

all my opinion of course

Actually, the gratuity is supposedly included in the $20 or $25. When we ate at Portofino, the food and service were wonderful, and we added a $20 tip to the bill.

Not supposedly. The tip IS included in the cover charge. If people choose to leave something extra that's strictly a personal decision. We never felt the service exceeded what we received in the main dining room.

Archived