How do "complimentary upgrades" work?

laginog

We're on the "now to leave tomorrow" Caribbean Princess. I just called Princess to ask about how much an upgrade would be, thinking maybe they've had a lot of cancellations and maybe they could do it "over the phone". She asked if I was interested in a "complimentary upgrade or paying for one". I said "well...complimentary would be nice if it's available." She said that she couldn't pull it up because it's leaving tomorrow but there are cabins available and they're giving people until tomorrow to cancel. So...she suggested that when we get on the ship, that we go to the purser's desk and inquire about it. I asked if we should wait until we board and then do it or ask at check-in. She said we could ask at check-in too. Our group has 3 inside cabins. Has anybody done this "complimentary upgrade" thing? We've only had one other cruise with Princess. Is there a chance for a complimentary upgrade? Could we all get them, even if the others are"first timers"? I'll feel bad if we get a "free upgrade" and they don't. We're not opposed to paying for an upgrade but I don't know about the others in our group. And...would it be better to ask at check-in or to wait and board and talk to the purser's desk???

Generally, complimentary upgrades are done before anyone reaches the pier. When Princess knows they won't fill upper cabins, they complimentary upgrade people to the higher cabins (most people can't figure out how Princess chooses who gets the upgrades). When upgrades are done, they will often fax the TA and it will show in the Cruise Personalizer.

Also, most people have little to no luck getting upgrade at the pier - since Princess will normally does complimentary upgrades before the day the ship sales.

In your case - where there are lots of cancellations, I am not sure how things are going to work. If you are interested in upgrading, I would strongly consider paying for an upgrade or at least asking what the cost would be. I wouldn't chance an upgrade at the pier.

Good luck and have a good sailing.

May I just recommend that you carry a shipboard schematic with you so that if you are offered an upgrade (even for a price which they did on our shortened cruise last month with Frances!) you know where they're putting you...sometimes you have a preference for location.

When we finally got to go on Monday, we were at the port at 11 am and were the first 100 in line...it wasn't crazy then and I would think that would be the best time to do your inquiring...good luck! ;)

We are on the same cruise. We had booked 1 inside cabin. Changed to 2 since more cabins got available after it was delayed<we added our kids> My husband kept calling them about an upgrade an dfinally today we got one for free.They switched us to 2 seperate balcony cabins:) Call them tomorrow morning asap and insist on getting one!

Archived