Getting off ship in Livorno and taking train to rome

fifty

Does anyone know if it is possible to disembark in Livorno and then get back on the ship the next day (evening) in Rome?

What does the ship do if you do not reboard on time the evening of the scheduled departure from where you got off the ship?

I ask because I could have another day in Rome if I took the train directly from Liverno to Rome.

Hope this makes sense. Basically, I would like to get off the ship in Liverno and get back on the ship the next day in Rome per the ship' s itenerary. Any ideas? :confused:

I think you can do that, but you need to let RCI know as soon as possible, perhaps even before the cruise begins (I know you need to notify them well in advance if you want to start or end your cruise later or earlier than the itinerary). You don't want just to not reboard - they will page you endlessly, may (MAY) delay the departure of the ship and will certainly give you a ton of grief when you go to reboard in Rome. If you used a TA to book your cruise, have him or her run down the answer for you. If you booked directly, look at the RCI website first for the answer, then call customer service. Be aware, however, that many of the CSRs don't have a clue and will simply say "no" because it's the easiest answer for them to give.

Logistically, it looks pretty simple, a three hour ride from Livorno Centrale to Roma (http://orario.trenitalia.com/b2c/TimeTable).

That's pretty much what I thought but I have written RCCL to ask if it is possible and what the proper procedure is. I just thought someone might have done this before and could tell me their experience. I am told that the trip by train from Florence is actually very nice and the scenery is beautiful plus it would give me an extra evening in Rome!

That's pretty much what I thought but I have written RCCL to ask if it is possible and what the proper procedure is. I just thought someone might have done this before and could tell me their experience. I am told that the trip by train from Florence is actually very nice and the scenery is beautiful plus it would give me an extra evening in Rome!

Gosh, I hate to be that person who reports by hearsay, but since only Jean has replied so far, here goes.

I have DEFINITELY heard of people doing this successfully.

It's an expensive personal option, but RC should have no problem dealing with it.

When we did Brilliance last October, many pax did just that from Livorno to Roma..the train is a great way to get about..in fact.we took the train from both Livorno to Pisa/Florence and Civat to Roma on our own. It's NOT expensive to do so, except of course for the cost of the hotel in Roma! As long as you work it out with the powers that be and security (they have to do something with the Seapass), you'll be just fine. Have a wonderful trip!

I have not heard from RCCL but I will certainly try to do the train from Florence to Rome. That extra day in Rome means getting to see the Sistine Chapel! Can't wait. Wish I had longer to visit this city but time does not allow. Also, I can wake up in Rome rather than spend 1 1/2 hours traveling from port to city! I think it will be well worth the hotel cost.

Thanks for your input!

If your last port of call is Rome (Civitavecchia) and you want to disembark at Livorno, being that both ports are in Italy, you should have no problem with your passport requirements. If the ship were to go on to Greece, for its final destination......then you need to give advance notice to the ship, so that the Guest Services Manager, who is in charge of this type of thing, is able to complete the proper paperwork to make your stopover from Florence to Rome as painless as possible for both you and the ship.

If, as in the above example, you were to rejoin the ship in the same country as you departed, and then continued to sail on to a different country.....again get the help of the Guest Services Manager to make sure that the local custom agent is informed, as well as the agent at the port where you want to rejoin the ship.

Rick

Archived