Plus size bathing suit question

JoKen1

Hello!!!

I felt the same way you did about getting into a swimsuit.(I'm also a size 22) But we have a pond in our backyard and with the kids and their friends coming over I had to get over the ideal of not having one on:eek: So I got a one piece black at JCPennys when they were on sale infact I got two. I just tried them on thinking the worst and yeah I was right!!lol But said what the heck if they don't like it then they don't have to look at me. And I found out on our cruises that no one really cared what you looked like. Infact we were to busy having fun that I didn't have time to think about it. So when you look for a suit find one that you are comfortable in and holds the girls up. I know sometimes thats impossible but the ones that I did get work great. The ones I have are from Longitude Swimwear.

And yes you do see all sizes of people on a cruise so don't worry!!!:)

I went to a store called Catherines. Not sure if other states have them. I found a few that I liked. They have those little skirts on them so they cover my saddle bags that I hate.

Yes my legs are still fat, white and look like cottage cheese but I don't care about that part. Well I care but not as much as the scary saddle bags I have. :D

Anyway, I'm going to bring it on my cruise and I hope I have enough nerve to put it on. I really want to.

It's kind cute because if I put on shorts or capri pants the bathing suit looks almost like a longer top. It has great support due to a built in bra and also has that material that holds in your tummy and butt and even your back. Kind smooths you out.

Now I think I need to work on finding a fake tan that doesn't look to bad. After all I think big tan leggs looks better then big white legs and let me tell you this girl is SUPER white.

I received a new Newport News swimsuit catalog. I was so pleased to see so many high waisted 2 piece suits. They had a great selection and this leads me to believe we will also see the high waisted bottoms appear in the stores.

They also had a great suit that is suitable for large busted women...sign, not my problem!

Anyway, I'm going to bring it on my cruise and I hope I have enough nerve to put it on. I really want to.

Now I think I need to work on finding a fake tan that doesn't look to bad. After all I think big tan leggs looks better then big white legs and let me tell you this girl is SUPER white.

Dont worry about it. We are becoming the majority. And remembe, even the size 10's and 12's think they look fat in their suits.

I'm a size 24 and I never felt really comfortable until I saw some women who were much much larger out and about. When you walk around for awhile you will notice that even if someone looks at you, they dont look for long. As said earlier, they dont really care what you wear. You are there to have a good time. Wear the suit!

There is a great fake tan thread in this forum with great product and application suggestions.

Have a great cruise!

I just have to tell you this!! When I was on the Valor there was a lady that was very very large!! And usually I don't notice this much BUT... She wore a string bikini!!!! She seemed very comfortable in wearing the swim suit. She had no problems walking around so if she didn't care then why should the rest of us care. In fact she was on the topless deck and of course she was topless. So wear that suit and have fun!!!!

Joken, don't you worry about people laughing at you, or staring. They are all thinking about being away from home and on vacation. Find a suit you are comfortable in, and go for the beach, lay by the pool, just have a good time!

If anyone should look at you, or say something about anyone, they are the ones with the problem, not you!!!!!! Ignore them if it should happen!

I also agree that you should have something on your legs while riding horses. Even if you wear some cotton capri's with a drawstring, they would slip over your suit quickly. I do like the idea of the quick dry pants/shorts though.

You can find a long beach cover ups everywhere, they are just starting to put them out. Also, I have several of the wraps, you can tie them around your neck, across your chest, around your waist....this is what I wear, and love them!!!

Yes so wear something while you are riding a horse!! I have never riden my horse in the ocean but when I did have them I use to ride bareback. Horse hair can pierce your skin and it can cause infection once inside your skin. I don't know what their saddles are like so it would be wise to wear some kind of light weight pants to ride.

Hey there,

I would say I am the queen of big girls, at a size 28. Last year, I bought two tankinis from Avenue, and they were great. The top is really like a tank top, and pretty long. The bottoms were like a skort, and it had a nice pareo cover up to match. It fit really well and I must say, even with my size, I looked pretty nice in it. I definitely recommend a tankini because it makes going to the powder room easier.

Look. There are going to be ignorant people who look, smirk, or even comment. It does happen. What you CANNOT do is allow other people's shallow mindedness interfere with the enjoyment of your vacation. Apart from those few ignorant fools, everyone else will be too focused on their own vacation and fun to even consider what you look like.

Oh I like the idea of it being easier to go to the bathroom. I never even thought of that! Now I want to go back to get another bathing suit!

You guys are so great. If it weren't for you I would have missed out on a lot of fun vacation time. Now I won't.

I've decided that I will do what I want and if people don't like it then they don't have to look. Also, if I give them a good laugh or reason to go on a diet then good.

I mean heck, it's not like people can't see I'm over weight with all my clothes on too. Maybe if I put the bathing suit on it will give others the courage to do the same.

Hey there,

Look. There are going to be ignorant people who look, smirk, or even comment. It does happen. What you CANNOT do is allow other people's shallow mindedness interfere with the enjoyment of your vacation. Apart from those few ignorant fools, everyone else will be too focused on their own vacation and fun to even consider what you look like.

Good point! If anyone is rude and nosy enough to be stressed and miserable about how I look in my clothes, it's going to be THEM and not ME! :rolleyes:

You wear whatever you want & wear it well - - you are healthy - going on vacation via a cruise!?! ENJOY IT.

If you are truly "scared" of the bathing suit stares, practice wearing it around your house now. That way YOU will already feel comfortable in the suit, i.e., you'll know how it fits when you sit, or stretch out on a chair.

Last week, on the Constellation, we (DH & I) went way, way up to the "topless deck" to take a shot of the under-repair St. Maarten harbor. Well, we got an eyeful.

And she wasn't a size 9, 10 or even a size 20. And she wasn't the least bit embarrassed...or uncomfortable. Neither was her male companion.

You wear whatever you want & wear it well - - you are healthy - going on vacation via a cruise!?! ENJOY IT.

If you are truly "scared" of the bathing suit stares, practice wearing it around your house now. That way YOU will already feel comfortable in the suit, i.e., you'll know how it fits when you sit, or stretch out on a chair.

Last week, on the Constellation, we (DH & I) went way, way up to the "topless deck" to take a shot of the under-repair St. Maarten harbor. Well, we got an eyeful.

And she wasn't a size 9, 10 or even a size 20. And she wasn't the least bit embarrassed...or uncomfortable. Neither was her male companion.

You know, I may be in the minority but I still don't understand whan anyone would wear a bikini if one wears a size larger than say a 10 or 12 or even a 14 or 16 if one is fit. I've been on so many curise where I see men with a great big pot belly in speedos. I'm sorry . . . but I just can't believe he's comfortable . . . it just looks so uncomfortable . . . and . . . believe me . . . I am far from a purde but I just have to look away . . . I'm actually embarrased for him. Same thing with women that are my size (16W to 18W) or even larger that wear bikinis. I mean come on . . . I've got fat of my own . . . it's very unpleasant to see your's hanging over your bathing suit.

Honest . . . I don't mean to sound cruel but don't these people own a mirror? From everything I've read on these "beauty" boards . . . people ask qustions about whether or not to even wear a bathing suit . . . and they're talking about bathing suits that cover up what they feel they don't want to share with everyone at the pool or on the beach. And they ask about cover-ups that actually cover up (something I'd really like to find . . . not something that is so short . . . it covers up nothing).

For those that haven't worn a bathing suit in years . . . my advice to buy one that you feel comfortable in (and for a big lady like me . . . I hope it 's not a bikini). Lots of cute bathing suits out there and there no reason in the world that everyone that cruises can't wear one and feel comfortable. Just look to your right and then your left and you'll know what I mean. You'll never see these people again and as long as you are "conservative" in your swim wear (as in no speedos for the men and bikinis for the women) . . . you'll fit right in and have a fantastic time.

...does anyone know of a website/store that sells LONG coverups?? I don't go in the pool, but I love to sit out and sunbathe and watch the activities going on around the pool....BUT, when I get up, I don't want to scare anyone (bad veins!) and prefer long coverups. In the past, I have purchased a-line sleeveless dresses from Lane Bryant, but I don't see them anymore. Every website I have checked out, all coverups are short, short!! Definitely not my style. Suggestions, anyone??? ~B~

Newport-News.com sells very long beach dresses, etc.

I'm down to a size 10/12 (yay me!), and I LOVE 2-piece "skirtinis"!! I feel especially comfy in the racerback swim tops & just a nice black skirted bottom. My post-baby thighs are not for public-viewing. If you shop last season's sales you can often find separates for pretty cheap, then you can mix/match your suit pieces so you don't have to pack as much!!

My mom is a size 22 (and pear-shaped, and 54), and she wears these or the "swimdresses" & looks fine. Trust me- you won't be the fattest person on the ship. My dh weighs almost 500lbs & HE's going swimming!! Don't be so self-conscious!! Just remind yourself that you are a person, too, and you have as much right as anyone to swim & have a good time on your vacation!!! If anybody laughs at you, just spit on them :p! This is NOT high school!! Have FUN!!

Who cares what other people think. If they have time to worry about how I look, then they have to much time on their hands. People like that are miserable and have problems of their own that they are not facing or perhaps they just need to get a life.

Happy Cruising Everyone!!!!

Julie

I wear what I want and don't care what other people think of my body. You don't like my pot belly or thighs, look away:rolleyes: Sure, I try to find things that are flattering, but when you're talking about pieces of spandex, how much are you going to be hiding anyway? Long layers of wet bathing suits are NOT comfortable to me, so I don't wear them. No matter WHAT you look like, chances are you'll never be the skinniest person or the largest person, no matter where you are.....Just be happy you're able to enjoy your vacation:p

Okay ya all . . . I just ordered three new outfits via Travelsmith.com and fingers are crossed that they fit (I ordered 1X/16W) which is what I usually wear but in some things . . . I have to go up to an 2X/18W.

Now . . . still looking for that perfect cover-up that covers more than my bathing suit. Don't want a caftan or long dress . . . just something that comes to right above my knees to cover the cottage cheese on my thighs. I've looked and looked both in shops and on line and still can't find anything. I just can't believe that there is nothing out there for us girls that want something that covers one's thighs. If anyone see anything like this . . . please let me know . . . :p

Whenever I see a "big" girl in a 2 piece suit wih her belly showng...all I can think of is..."YOU GO GIRL" one of these days I will muster up the courage and wear one myself!!! So for all you girls that do it....Rock ON Sister!!!!!

Last summer when we went to Galveston, I bought the perfect coverup... (see below).

When walking down the beach, on first glance, people didn't see a big girl... and if they chuckled, I knew it was not at the extra fat I was carrying :D

116555992_tp.jpg.83c9dfacd3097380ed0c1b655d0901e5.jpg

116555996_tp.jpg.c0c4f07668a423dceca98c29c7e28138.jpg

Whenever I see a "big" girl in a 2 piece suit wih her belly showng...all I can think of is..."YOU GO GIRL" one of these days I will muster up the courage and wear one myself!!! So for all you girls that do it....Rock ON Sister!!!!!

Oh my Heaven's Pat . . . that has to be one of the cutest puppy dogs I have ever seen!!!! Is it a baby Westie? Tiki, my little imp (Westie) will be ten on May 1st and it's all I can do to keep myself from bringing another little Westie into our home.

Sorry . . . know this has nothing to do with bathing suits. So I'll say something about the bathing suits . . . if one is like me . . . . a plus size woman (18W) I think there are soooo many cute bathing suits out there that one can wear that flatters the body and doesn't show one's tummy. Just my opinion . . . but if someone my size is comfortable wearing a bikini . . . I say go for it.

Archived