15 Day trip to Egypt - the travel notes, by Seafun

seafun

Sorry to hear of your hectic "vacation."

One less thing for you to worry about though -- the Delta flights go into Terminal 3 and EgyptAir is right next door in Terminal 4. That's an easy walk -- I'm sure you and your luggage will make it just fine, but I'll burn another "essence of mummy" incense cone, just to be sure! :D

Actually, we are going to be on Delta out of NY to Cairo and will be using the same terminal to fly out on that we come in on. But I still would appreciate the incense burning! Then, when I return to work on the 29th, I will definitely, "get my butt back here" and share my thoughts. BTW-wise Mom and wise son to follow Mom's advice!

I can't say it as eloquantly as Seafun but MVPinBoynton I do hope you have a wonderful time. How excited you must be! I hope everything you wish for happens and the trip is exactly what you want it to be.

Will be looking for a trip report when you return and recover from the travels.

micked10

I see that there's a new program on Egypt tomorrow (Monday) night on the Discover Channel, with the title "Into the Unknown."

According to my listings, it's all about Pharoah Akhenaten, who was King Tut's Daddy (... wait for it... here it comes... you know I can't resist...) as opposed to King Tut's Mummy! :D

I loved the style of art from his reign, in spite of what a mess he made of Egypt during his reign, trying to create a monotheistic religion.

Anyway, just thought you might want to know...

I see that there's a new program on Egypt tomorrow (Monday) night on the Discover Channel, with the title "Into the Unknown."

Thanks for the heads up! :) It will help me get excited about my trip - as if I wasn't excited enough already!

It's hard to believe that it's only six days away. I booked a year ago.

I just found out that the King Tut exhibit is going to be in Atlanta starting in November, and my alma mater (Emory University) is sponsoring a special course in Egyptian history led by a noted professor, leading up to a guided tour of the exhibit.

(Guess who is going to register immediately?:D:D)

I just found out that the King Tut exhibit is going to be in Atlanta starting in November, and my alma mater (Emory University) is sponsoring a special course in Egyptian history led by a noted professor, leading up to a guided tour of the exhibit.

(Guess who is going to register immediately?:D:D)

This is the second US exhibit of King Tut. The first many years ago I saw at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NY. It had the famous mask and was the first time many of the objects were seen outside of Egypt. It was huge and crowded. the second, the one that is traveling now, I saw in Phily and is likewise crowded and huge with mostly different stuff.. It is very nice well done and very interesting especially the jewelry. the two combined pale at the amount of stuff exhibited of King Tut's tomb in Cairo. it is impossible to describe how much there was in Egypt. By all means go to the exhibit I am not trying to dissuade you, but don't after you have seen the exhibit delude your self that you have seen the Treauser of Tut...you have seen less than 1% of it....

This is the second US exhibit of King Tut. The first many years ago I saw at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NY. It had the famous mask and was the first time many of the objects were seen outside of Egypt. It was huge and crowded. the second, the one that is traveling now, I saw in Phily and is likewise crowded and huge with mostly different stuff.. It is very nice well done and very interesting especially the jewelry. the two combined pale at the amount of stuff exhibited of King Tut's tomb in Cairo. it is impossible to describe how much there was in Egypt. By all means go to the exhibit I am not trying to dissuade you, but don't after you have seen the exhibit delude your self that you have seen the Treauser of Tut...you have seen less than 1% of it....

Yes, I do realize that.....having been to the Cairo museum twice now!;) It just gives me something to look at until I go back again.

I also saw the first exhibit. It came to Atlanta when I was in middle school and it was a HUGE deal at the time. That was back when I still wanted to be an archeologist when I grew up....

I also remember seeing the first Tut exhibit, here in Seattle in, gosh 1976 or so? I just took a look at the exhibition catalog a little while ago, and remember how artfully they had it displayed, as if you were walking through the tomb (or so they said -- I now know better).

I had already graduated from college, so that pegs me a wee bit older than "middle-school aged" cruisemom, lol. :eek: Note I did NOT say middle aged, lol, it was refering to her post -- middle school aged.

Besides, compared to Tut, we're all young! :rolleyes:

Anyway, thanks for the heads up. That would be an easy stop over, say if I were on my way to Florida for a cruise...:D

I also remember seeing the first Tut exhibit, here in Seattle in, gosh 1976 or so? I just took a look at the exhibition catalog a little while ago, and remember how artfully they had it displayed, as if you were walking through the tomb (or so they said -- I now know better).

I had already graduated from college, so that pegs me a wee bit older than "middle-school aged" cruisemom, lol. :eek: Note I did NOT say middle aged, lol, it was refering to her post -- middle school aged.

Besides, compared to Tut, we're all young! :rolleyes:

Anyway, thanks for the heads up. That would be an easy stop over, say if I were on my way to Florida for a cruise...:D

Whew! Nice dancing around those words, Seafun!! :D

I dont' remember ever seeing the King tut exhibit , but would love to. Is this going to be another travelling exhibit?? If so, is it coming to St. Louis? I live about 2 1/2 hours from St. Louis so could easily drive in for that.

I would love to take a course in Egyption History but have inquired at our local Univ. and nothing is offered. How lucky you are! We are planning our trip for Oct. of 2009 so I would have plenty of time to immerse myself in the history! I envy you!

micked10

I dont' remember ever seeing the King tut exhibit , but would love to. Is this going to be another travelling exhibit?? If so, is it coming to St. Louis? I live about 2 1/2 hours from St. Louis so could easily drive in for that.

I would love to take a course in Egyption History but have inquired at our local Univ. and nothing is offered. How lucky you are! We are planning our trip for Oct. of 2009 so I would have plenty of time to immerse myself in the history! I envy you!

micked10

It looks like the exhibit is also coming to Dallas and Indianapolis. I don't see any other US locations listed. Here's a link:

http://www.kingtut.org/home

That link to the Tut show is great, because among other things, there's a link to their "gift shop" that will allow me to get Christmas goodies for everyone who's been hinting about Egypt gifts for Christmas! Thank you, thank you! :D

My heartfelt thanks to all of you who have contributed to this thread over the last six months or so.

I am amazed, and proud, that it has now been viewed an astounding 10,000 times!

I know that we’ve helped a lot of people make their trips to Egypt better, richer, fuller, and steered them towards the good stuff and away from some of the not-so-good. Our group input has presented a tremendous amount of useful information on a wide range of topics, and has given many people a better idea of what to expect.

Hey, that’s a pretty good thing! Thank you all!

My heartfelt thanks to all of you who have contributed to this thread over the last six months or so.

I am amazed, and proud, that it has now been viewed an astounding 10,000 times!! :eek:

I know that we've helped a lot of people make their trips to Egypt better, richer, fuller, and steered them towards the good stuff and away from some of the not-so-good. Our group input has presented a tremendous amount of useful information on a wide range of topics, and has given many people a better idea of what to expect.

Hey, that's a pretty good thing! Thank you all!!

Seafun/Tom :D

Seafun Tom,

Your day by day review rocked my world. Thank you for taking the time to write and for helping a very nervous and excited girl leaving for Dubai/Egypt in 4 weeks. I am afraid I am going to die of exhaustion, especially with that 2:30am wake-up call to fly to Answan and Abu Simbel. I will need ambien and speed! I have hundreds of questions for you, but it is late and I will ask you later. ;-)

Cheers, Sungirl

Gosh, I haven't been told that I "rocked anyone's world" for a while... :D so, Thanks!

I wouldn't worry about needing anything to help you sleep or to wake up -- that will all come naturally. The weeks/months of anticipation give you an incredible adrenelin boost that gets you through the long flight to Egypt (or Dubai, if you go there first).

And once you're there, I found a tremendous peace and relief wash over me at bed time, that my long-awaited dreams were coming true, that lulled me off to sleep.

And the early, early mornings weren't so bad -- I was like that kid (and adult) in the Disneyworld commercials... "Go to sleep," ..... "I'm too excited to sleep!" :)

I see the cruises in your signature -- heck, you're a pro, and your subliminal Travelers Brain will kick in, and you'll do just fine!! :D

Let me know as you think of questions....

Seafun Tom,

Your day by day review rocked my world. Thank you for taking the time to write and for helping a very nervous and excited girl leaving for Dubai/Egypt in 4 weeks. I am afraid I am going to die of exhaustion, especially with that 2:30am wake-up call to fly to Answan and Abu Simbel. I will need ambien and speed! I have hundreds of questions for you, but it is late and I will ask you later. ;-)

Cheers, Sungirl

When you dock in Kom-Ombo, next to the "cafe" that's just below the temple, be sure to look for the snake charmer. This was the only place we saw the cobras dancing. The old man will let you sit by him for a photo for a dollar. The tea and sheesa in the cafe was good too!

We are back from our wonderful adventure to Egypt. It wonderful and the people were so friendly. Unfortunately, I picked up an upper respiratory and sinus infection and am not feeling too great right now. With 8 separate plane flights and the heavy pollution in Cairo, I am not surprised. I am just so grateful that it didn't effect me during the many excursions. I have a lot of writing to do on my review and 2,800 photos to trim down to a reasonable number. So I won't be posting until it is finished. Otherwise I will be constantly distracted.

Thanks for all the tips we got. Especially to get Antinal; which was a life saver. We caught digestive issues early and never had to miss any of the wonderful sights.