15 Day trip to Egypt - the travel notes, by Seafun

seafun

Hi there,

First of all I want to tell you that I have been following your thread for sometime now. Your thread has been very informative and I thank you all!!!! :cool:

My husband and I leave for Egypt on Oct 14, 2008 with GCT tours and I would like to ask a few questions that have me VERY concerned so here it goes.

We will be staying at Le Meridien Pyramids in Giza for 5 nights before we start our Nile cruise. Do you think it's safe to have ice from the hotel in your drink? I plan on bringing reuseable plastic glasses for our wine and cocktail hours but husband said no, because we can not wash them with their water. We have the same concern for our river cruise on the Ms. Liberty with the ice and water, we don't want the Pharaohs Revenge, thank you!!!! :eek: Any input would be greatly appreicated!

Me again.....honestly, I'm not stalking you, just love passing on info about Egypt to other travelers!!

I would recommend that you avoid ice altogether in Egypt, even at your hotel or on the cruiser. Local water is, I believe, one of the biggest contributors to "Tut Tummy". Our local guide never relaxed his watch on us to make sure we were not getting ice in drinks. You should even use bottled water for brushing your teeth.

Unless you can boil the water, I wouldn't wash your glasses in it. Can you just take enough glasses to toss after you use? Or I suppose you can purchase larger bottles of water and use that to wash your glasses. Bottled water is not that expensive in Egypt (don't buy it in your hotel); just make VERY sure the bottle is sealed properly......I have read some unscrupulous sellers will reuse bottles and fill with local water, but we never encountered that and if you are buying in a regular shop you will be fine.

I'm glad to hear you've enjoyed our "little" thread, lol. A lot of people have contributed some good advice, and I'm happy to hear when others are able to put it to use.

Congratulations on your upcoming trip. I've heard good things about GCT.

As far as the questions you asked -- I have heard good reviews of the Meridian hotels, but still, I'm not sure I would chance the ice. That would be real early in the trip to being playing gastro-intestinal roulette, lol. :eek:

And I would not recommend using ice on the ship. It may be safe on your particular ship, but I can't recommend trying your luck on that. Check with your tour guide when you get there. They don't want their guests getting sick and they can give you the best information.

I would bring the plastic glasses, because you can wash them out with bottled water, which is available everywhere. (And you've no doubt read to brush your teeth with bottled water and use it for contact lenses if that applies.)

Have a wonderful trip, and we'll look forward to your impressions when you get home! :D

Hi there again,

Thanks everybody for your tricks of the trade Happy Hour insights!:cool:

I bought some 12 oz. wine glasses that are stemless, shatterproof, flexible and dishwasher safe, the go anywhere glass! They are made from thermoplastic polymer resin by GoVino for $2.50 ea., they also can double as a cocktail glass!!!!!....My husband loves his rum and coke hour(s)....Me too;) !!!!! Also, is Cairo Airport the best place to buy beer and wine?

Ok, now for the final question. I bought a box of single coffee bags (like tea), you just heat the water and Woo La, you have coffee!!!!But if you can't drink the water, then how can you make coffee????:confused: No coffee!!!:eek: Any suggestions???

Trish

Ok, now for the final question. I bought a box of single coffee bags (like tea), you just heat the water and Woo La, you have coffee!!!!But if you can't drink the water, then how can you make coffee????:confused: No coffee!!!:eek: Any suggestions???

Hi, well that is what I have been wondering too........re coffee. Ideally water is not boiled when one makes coffee, sooo I might be just drinking more tea then, as it is supposed to be boiled before brewing.

I love my coffee, but I got a feeling I better be careful on this one. Any input from previous Egypt travellers?

Thank you

Okay, I don't quite understand the problem here...:rolleyes:

You buy bottled water...

You put it in a heatable mug or cup...

You use an immersion heater... (handy link included if you don't know what one is:

http://www.passengersonly.com/catalog/travel-dual-voltage-immersion-heater

When the water is hot enough for your taste, you add your "coffee bag" or instant coffee crystals, or tea bags, that you've brought in a zip lock bag.

**Poof!** You have a reasonable facsimile of coffee, with or without any sugar or creamer you have brought from home as well.

I don't see where there's a problem. :confused:

As far as beer or wine purchases -- you can find that in places other than the airport. If you want hard liquor, pick some up in the duty free store in the airport, maybe while one of you is waiting for the luggage to arrive. If you can wait a day or two, there's a convenient one in Luxor near where the boats dock, but I recall it having limited hours. Your guide should be able to point it out.

Maybe I'll go have a cup of coffee now.... lol. :p

Okay, I don't quite understand the problem here...:rolleyes:

You buy bottled water...

You put it in a heatable mug or cup...

You use an immersion heater... (handy link included if you don't know what one is:

http://www.passengersonly.com/catalog/travel-dual-voltage-immersion-heater

When the water is hot enough for your taste, you add your "coffee bag" or instant coffee crystals, or tea bags, that you've brought in a zip lock bag.

**Poof!** You have a reasonable facsimile of coffee, with or without any sugar or creamer you have brought from home as well.

I don't see where there's a problem. :confused:

Oh Sir Lancelot, you saved the day again!!!! I did NOT know about travel-dual-voltage-immersion-heater! Now to find this coffee cup heater a.s.a.p, I don't think I have time to order from this company though!....Thank you, now I don't have to be the wicked witch in the morning!!!!

Re the coffee, that's a great idea Seafun, if you are making your own coffee. My concern is in restaurants, cafes, where the water may not be boiled. Good coffee, does not use boiled water.

And I do realize that boiling will not purify the water, but it does eliminate some bacteria, if it is present.

Another thought Animated, I have done quite a lot of research on mummy's tummy etc. While no one usually knows exactly what caused their problem, here were a couple of things I learned as well that you might keep in mind. Don't drink really icecold drinks, bit of shock to system when you are very hot. I think there could be something there on this point. I remember at my Dad's cricket matches, when it was half time, only brewed tea was served, not cold drinks. Also, when showering, try to be efficient and quick. Keep water from going into your mouth. :) . Just theories.

If this sounds anal....it's cause I am LOL.

.....and in spite of all the above precautions, I still managed to get a severe case of guardia - the grandaddy of mummy tummy! It has a long incubation so I didn't actually get sick till I got home. Then it was 30 days of heavy duty antibotics. So, take all the precautions you can, but if your mummy tummy lasts longer than a couple of days, if you start losing weight quickly (I lost 14 lbs in 14 days), or if you run a fever, get yourself to a doctor! Guardia is nothing to fool around with-I know. :(

Re the coffee, that's a great idea Seafun, if you are making your own coffee. My concern is in restaurants, cafes, where the water may not be boiled. Good coffee, does not use boiled water.

And I do realize that boiling will not purify the water, but it does eliminate some bacteria, if it is present.

I have not read in any guidebook that you should avoid coffee in restaurants, but if in doubt, I would order tea as it is usually served EXTREMELY hot. I am not a coffee drinker.... On our ship's overnight, my mom had coffee for 2 lunches, a dinner, and a breakfast with no ill effects.

The hisbiscus tea that is offered in the Luxor area is wonderful, definitely try some while you are there.

I'm doing an Egypt/Nile/Jordan trip next October. The group I'm going with has a suggested list of things to pack. Among the personal health items, Acidophilus enzyme is listed as something that can help your body adjust to the new "flora" in the food. It's available in health food stores in capsules. Antibiotics were also recommended, the Cipro was mentioned.

Now, for the contact lens deal. Did you wash your hands with the bottled water, or did you wash with water as hot as you could stand?

I wear hard contacts that I wash in water with a cleaner, then rinse with a solution.

I would wash my hands with the tap water and soap, then dry them, then wash my contact between my fingers using bottled water, a quick bottled water rinse and then the solution.

Many people took the acidopholus before going to Egypt. It may help.

I would NOT recommend the Cipro. I'm sure others will post advising you against that as well. Save Cipro until you really need it -- but Antinal is an Egyptian medicine, readily available in many places, that many have used with great success.

I have not read in any guidebook that you should avoid coffee in restaurants, but if in doubt, I would order tea as it is usually served EXTREMELY hot. I am not a coffee drinker.... On our ship's overnight, my mom had coffee for 2 lunches, a dinner, and a breakfast with no ill effects.

The hisbiscus tea that is offered in the Luxor area is wonderful, definitely try some while you are there.

Hi there,

With all this talk about water, ice & coffee weren't you afraid to drink the hisbiscus tea???:confused: I understand that taste like limeade and most people that try it, LOVE IT! But again, what makes this so different (safe) than drinking coffee or tea??? Just wondering:)

Trish

My same sex partner and I are traveling on the Equinox next Aug. and are a little bit concerned how Egyptians look on Gay couples. To make matters a little more dicey, I am Jewish. Should we worry? Thanks.

We've been in Egypt twice. Based on our experience, I would say that you might get some stares if you "look Jewish" (sorry, I don't know a more politically correct way to say it). However, no one will bother you. Just stay with your group and don't go walking alone after dark.

As far as being gay, if you don't make it so obvious you'll be fine. I'd suggest no hand holding, no kissing, and keep your queen side hidden (hey I live in Key West and my best friend is a real QUEEN :p ).

Knowing how to "fit in" when in a foreign culture is the mark of a respectful traveler.

Hi there,

With all this talk about water, ice & coffee weren't you afraid to drink the hisbiscus tea???:confused: I understand that taste like limeade and most people that try it, LOVE IT! But again, what makes this so different (safe) than drinking coffee or tea??? Just wondering:)

Trish

It is brewed and served HOT (at least, that is how I had it). I would say that it tasted more like hot mulled cranberries than limeade.

I wear hard contacts that I wash in water with a cleaner, then rinse with a solution.

I would wash my hands with the tap water and soap, then dry them, then wash my contact between my fingers using bottled water, a quick bottled water rinse and then the solution.

Many people took the acidopholus before going to Egypt. It may help.

I would NOT recommend the Cipro. I'm sure others will post advising you against that as well. Save Cipro until you really need it -- but Antinal is an Egyptian medicine, readily available in many places, that many have used with great success.

thanks for the quick reply. May I ask why you would not recomment Cipro? Cost? The group that I'm going with has done adventure travel for women for 26 years, and this isnt' my first trip with them, so I know they have the knowlege. I will definitely be having a conversation with my own physician before my trip to be sure I'm prepared, medically. I get asthma, so I'm going to be sure that I'm ready for the Middle East air/atmosphere. There are some things that can be done to get the airways ready for a potential situation. I do this in the winter - where I live it is cold and low humidity. I'll get RAD (reactive airway disorder) and I'll constantly cough. I have some additional meds that I'll do in the winter to try to prevent the RAD and reduce my potential for my asthma to kick up. I'm going to see if the same measures will work for my trip.

thanks for the quick reply. May I ask why you would not recomment Cipro? Cost? The group that I'm going with has done adventure travel for women for 26 years, and this isnt' my first trip with them, so I know they have the knowlege. I will definitely be having a conversation with my own physician before my trip to be sure I'm prepared, medically. I get asthma, so I'm going to be sure that I'm ready for the Middle East air/atmosphere. There are some things that can be done to get the airways ready for a potential situation. I do this in the winter - where I live it is cold and low humidity. I'll get RAD (reactive airway disorder) and I'll constantly cough. I have some additional meds that I'll do in the winter to try to prevent the RAD and reduce my potential for my asthma to kick up. I'm going to see if the same measures will work for my trip.

Here is a discussion of Antinal vs. Cipro from an earlier thread here that may answer some of your questions:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=777117&highlight=Cipro

Good luck with the asthma; the air quality in Cairo is definitely bad but elsewhere it seems to be fine.

We saw many many people with masks in Cairo and at the pyramids where it is so dusty. You may want to think about that to allivate the breathing problems.

Thanks CruiseMom for the information regarding the Hisbiscus tea. Sounds like something I would enjoy.

Webegone, I fully understand how sick you must have been. Our son contacted same in Northern Ontario, no less, while he was on a canoeing expedition. He ended up in hospital for several days. A very sick young man for a few weeks.

Here is a discussion of Antinal vs. Cipro from an earlier thread here that may answer some of your questions:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=777117&highlight=Cipro

Good luck with the asthma; the air quality in Cairo is definitely bad but elsewhere it seems to be fine.

Cruisemom, this was VERY informative! I read all 15 reviews outloud to my husband. We have already gotten a prescription from the Doc for Cipro 250mg, and we won't take them unless we need it:eek:...Also, we are planning on going to the pharmacy in Egypt and buying Antinal. Over kill? I think NOT!!!! Last February we were on a cruise "Around the Horn" for 2 weeks and my husband was sick the entire time and lost over 10 pounds... We rather be safe than sorry!!!!!

Can't wait to taste the Hisbiscus tea! I wonder if they would mine if I put a little rum in it? Kinda like a hot toddy:rolleyes:

Her quote: Can't wait to taste the Hisbiscus tea! I wonder if they would mind if I put a little rum in it? Kinda like a hot toddy :rolleyes:

A woman after my own heart... :p

Just discretely whip that Rum Runner out of your purse, doctor your hibiscus tea, and tell people it's a "homemade sweetener!" :eek:

Thank you CC! This is a very informative thread. I really appreciate everyone's input. Can you tell me about the power in the hotels as far as laptops, camera's, etc. If you have a dual wattage item do you only need an adapter? What worked best for for you?

Thank you CC! This is a very informative thread. I really appreciate everyone's input. Can you tell me about the power in the hotels as far as laptops, camera's, etc. If you have a dual wattage item do you only need an adapter? What worked best for for you?

The electrical current is 220V (with some odd exceptions; in Alexandria it is 110). The sockets are the type with two round holes (takes the same pins as in most of Europe).

If you have a dual voltage item, you are correct -- you only need an adapter. I would be a little careful about the laptop. I haven't traveled with one, but it was recommended to my son that he use a special converter (very heavy!) when he traveled to Europe. That was a couple of years ago......maybe there is a better alternative now.