Hotels in NOLA

mlf67

Hello all!

My girlfriend recommended this site as she cruises a lot and said it was a lifesaver for information. ANyway, I am looking for a hotel in NOLA in April to stay overnite to and from our cruise that we can park our car at. Any ideas out there? Please let me know as I am a first timer of any good tips like this I can use! Thank you so much!

Melissa

going on fantasy in april out of NO. we are staying at the wyndam a little bit from Bourbon but closer to Terminal. we like staying at the ramada on Bourbon. we go several times a year to NO. depends on how close you want to be to Bourbon. but be careful a lot of places are less expensive but there is a reason for that. the OMNI is my fav but has a price to go with it.

We are sailing 5/12/08, we are staying at the Drury Inn & suites. They have cruise package they let you park free while on the cruise. They also have happy hour and snacks, breakfast in the morning also. We are staying pre and post cruise. Rooms were about 90.00. Taxi to the port is about $7.00 a person. There is also a trolly that picks up infront of hotel.

We are sailing 5/12/08, we are staying at the Drury Inn & suites. They have cruise package they let you park free while on the cruise. They also have happy hour and snacks, breakfast in the morning also. We are staying pre and post cruise. Rooms were about 90.00. Taxi to the port is about $7.00 a person. There is also a trolly that picks up infront of hotel.

Looks like you will be on the same cruise as us. :D

Inn on Bourbon fan here too but many of us are staying at Holiday Inn French Quarter on Royal, You might check Holiday Inn site. I think they are offering a cruise.parking package.

We are on the same cruise also. Come on over to our main thread and get acquainted before the cruise. :D http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=526803&page=206

We stayed here on our last cruise out of New Orleans. Marvelous place.

About a 10 minute safe walk to Bourbon Street. Excellent rooms and wonderful breakfast. There is a restaurant that is 2 or 3 minute walk away from the hotel called P & G's. Try the fried oyster Po' Boy.

• 2 weeks later...

Name your price on Priceline. I have used this site several times to book in N.O. and have always found a great deal on last minute travel. Today I bid $40 on a hotel and was accepted by Courtyard by Marriot near the Convention Center which is within walking distance to the French Quarter. Also, this hotel is less than a mile from the port. When you bid you can choose a 2, 3, or 4 star hotel to bid on. Of course most hotels are going to require you to pay for parking, but still this is a great bargain.

• 3 weeks later...
Name your price on Priceline. I have used this site several times to book in N.O. and have always found a great deal on last minute travel. Today I bid $40 on a hotel and was accepted by Courtyard by Marriot near the Convention Center which is within walking distance to the French Quarter. Also, this hotel is less than a mile from the port. When you bid you can choose a 2, 3, or 4 star hotel to bid on. Of course most hotels are going to require you to pay for parking, but still this is a great bargain.

Hey, I'm not sure if you'll see this post, but I was wondering what * level you bid on to win the Marriott? Thanks

Hey, I'm not sure if you'll see this post, but I was wondering what * level you bid on to win the Marriott? Thanks

Just a guess but I would say probably 3 star.

I wouldn't bid anything below a 3 star or above in Nola. I use PL too but not for Nola. Areas seem too spread out for me.

Does anyone have any opinions on the Lexington O suites in New Orleans - it seems to be in a reasonably central area and has an appealing 3 day booking special of around $80.00 per night. I will be there in Feb 2009 - pre mardi gras.

Cheers

Dennis

Does anyone have any opinions on the Lexington O suites in New Orleans - it seems to be in a reasonably central area and has an appealing 3 day booking special of around $80.00 per night. I will be there in Feb 2009 - pre mardi gras.

Cheers

Dennis

Wouldn't be one of my top choices - it's on the wrong side of Loyola St., so not considered to be in the safest location. Can't speak for the hotel itself - haven't been inside it.

When you say it is not in the safest of neighborhoods - do you mean that gangs are on the corners and picking off tourists one by one or are you talking about street people etc that you normally find in big city downtown areas - I live right in the downtown core here in Vancouver so panhandlers and street people while a nuisance don't really concern me plus I am not a real late night person - I do like to walk so as long as it is safe to walk to the French Quarter and some of the other tourist attractions that will suit me fine.

The hotel gets generally favorable reviews - in other words more positives than negatives so I am hoping that some more of your big easy types will be able to offer suggestions.

Cheers

Dennis

I would stay clear of the Lexington. One of my co-workers was there last week-end and came back telling us he was awakened by 13 gunshots. Not a good area to be in. Money isn't everything! Save yourself the aggravation and spend a few more dollars and be safe.

When you say it is not in the safest of neighborhoods - do you mean that gangs are on the corners and picking off tourists one by one or are you talking about street people etc that you normally find in big city downtown areas - I live right in the downtown core here in Vancouver so panhandlers and street people while a nuisance don't really concern me plus I am not a real late night person - I do like to walk so as long as it is safe to walk to the French Quarter and some of the other tourist attractions that will suit me fine.

The hotel gets generally favorable reviews - in other words more positives than negatives so I am hoping that some more of your big easy types will be able to offer suggestions.

I'm talkin' safety wise. If it were a couple blocks closer to the river it would be fine, but the location is on the lake side of Rampart. The French Quarter is considered to be riverside of Rampart. Now this is only a couple blocks away from where the hotel is, but that couple of blocks can make a big difference. And it doesn't help that the Bienville Projects are just a block away. This is one of the projects that HAS reopened.

That being said - I wouldn't have any problems walking in the area during the daytime. I would stay on Canal until I got to Dauphine or Bourbon. I also would probably feel pretty safe if I wasn't walking alone at night. Canal Street is one of the busiest streets in the area, so considered pretty safe. The Canal Streetcar does run right by there, so if you were traveling very far you could use it - or if you're out at night you can always call a cab.

You say you'll be coming pre Mardi Gras - how much pre?

I've booked the mystery hotel on bookit.com for $79/nite for Memorial weekend. It's the Astor Crowne Plaza, which is IMHO one of the prime locations for a hotel in New Orleans - on Canal right off Bourbon. I've read some not-so-good reviews of it lately, but figure for the weekend I'll be fine. I've stayed there before and liked it, but it's changed management since then. I guess we'll see - will let you know how it is after I stay there.

Thanks for the various opinions regarding hotels in NOLA - I will be sailing on Feb 8, 2009 which I believe will be two weeks prior to Madri Gras and will probably stay one night post cruise - less hassle than worrying about getting to Amtrak for the train to Chicago post cruise.

Obviously the better a rate I can get on a hotel will mean more days pre-cruise to see NOLA - right now it looks like 3 days pre and 1 post.

Two other hotels that I noted are the Ambassador - which hasn't gotten that favorable of reviews and the other is the Comfort Inn on Baronne. Any thoughts on these.

Thanks for your help

Cheers

Dennis

I will be sailing on Feb 8, 2009 which I believe will be two weeks prior to Madri Gras and will probably stay one night post cruise - less hassle than worrying about getting to Amtrak for the train to Chicago post cruise.

Obviously the better a rate I can get on a hotel will mean more days pre-cruise to see NOLA - right now it looks like 3 days pre and 1 post.

Two other hotels that I noted are the Ambassador - which hasn't gotten that favorable of reviews and the other is the Comfort Inn on Baronne. Any thoughts on these.

Dennis

Staying on the weekend of the 8th shouldn't be a problem - it's far enough before Mardi Gras that you won't be getting into the higher prices. Is it a 4 or 5 day cruise? I guess what I'm really asking is when do you return. The weekend before Mardi Gras weekend is considered Mardi Gras light. There will be parades that weekend, which means more traffic, higher prices and harder time getting around town. They close streets for parades and sometimes during a parade you just can't get some places.

Of the two hotels you mention the Comfort Inn is more centrally located - closer to more activities. Both would be considered to be in safe areas. I can't say how accomodations are in either place - haven't stayed either place.

It's a seven day cruise so I am back in NOLA on Feb 15, 2009 - I can stay over if I want but can also leave the same day as the train doesn't leave for Chicago until 1:45PM - at present I am more interested in finding a place for the pre-cruise part - once I have found a place I will then look at prices for the post-cruise part.

Thanks for your comments - they are appreciated for this first time visitor.

Cheers

Dennis

It's a seven day cruise so I am back in NOLA on Feb 15, 2009 - I can stay over if I want but can also leave the same day as the train doesn't leave for Chicago until 1:45PM - at present I am more interested in finding a place for the pre-cruise part - once I have found a place I will then look at prices for the post-cruise part.

Some places require a 3 day stay around Mardi Gras, but you shouldn't have a problem for a Sunday nite (it's usually the weekend that they want sold out.) I would encourage you to stay the extra day as there will be Mardi Gras parades that day and they are worth seeing - especially since you'll already be here.

I stayed in the Astor Crowne Plaza back in Sept 07 when we went on our cruise, we use book it .com and I think we got it for 60$ a night the hotel was very nice and location we great we didnt have any problems with burbon street noise, all the rooms have a radio with a musical cd in it if you need to drowned out the noise from the streets, but we didnt have that problem. The hotel in close enough to walk everywhere

We just returned from NO and stayed at Best Western-St. Christopher, 114 Magazine St. I tell you we loved this place. One block from French Quarter, easily walked. Cable cars if you wish. We walked everywhere and loved it all. Hotel has full breakfast every morning. 5 minutes to cruise ship. What was nice about not being in FQ, it was very quiet. No partiers till 4 in morning. We walked into FQ and left when we had enough. My 4 teenagers walked everywhere also. We NEVER felt unsafe. Have fun.

• 3 weeks later...

Just booked the Comfort Inn for three nights pre-cruise - business must be slow because the priced dropped from $110.00 a night to $72.00 a night so I am going spend an extra day pre-cruise and not stay over post cruise as the prices almost double.

One thought that I had for post cruise was to take the train up to Memphis - it's on the way back to Chicago anyway - and spend a day there but am wondering what type of weather I might get in Mid - February - if it's cold and snowy then there is no use in staying over - or is it just likely to be cool and reasonably dry - I did check some weather stats but they were inconclusive as to what to expect so perhaps some of you locals will be able to help me out on that one as you have helped me out on this one.

Cheers from sunny and warm Vancouver

Dennis

Archived