All Things Freedom of the Seas!

We were originally scheduled to sail Christmas 2009 on the FOS but have changed it to October 2009 instead. Thanks for all the info in this thread! We are excited about learning as much as possible about FOS before we sail.

Is there a guest laundry onboard where we can do our own laundry and/or ironing? Or does all laundry have to be sent out?

We have second-seating for dining because the main seating is all taken up. What time is main? and what time is second seating? Also what have your experiences been in wait-listing for main seating and it coming through? Is there somewhere onboard that we can see about switching on embarkation day?

Thanks.

Hi Cindy!

There is no guest laundry onboard. Everything must be sent out.

Main seating and late seating are generally arouns 6:00 and 8:30, perhaps give-or-take 15 mins depending on the cruise itself. I was never on a waiting list so I have no experience with that. But once you board, you can head straight to the dining room and speak with the Maitre D and he can help you with your seating arrangements. :)

Freedom is an AWESOME ship...I hope you have a great time!!! We had a blast on her. :D

There is no guest laundry onboard. Everything must be sent out.

Main seating and late seating are generally arouns 6:00 and 8:30, perhaps give-or-take 15 mins depending on the cruise itself. I was never on a waiting list so I have no experience with that. But once you board, you can head straight to the dining room and speak with the Maitre D and he can help you with your seating arrangements. :)

Freedom is an AWESOME ship...I hope you have a great time!!! We had a blast on her. :D

Christie - thanks for the response! We have gotten used to being able to do laundry onboard the Disney ships, so we'll have to think differently about how we pack for FOS. I need to go read some trip reports!

Christie - thanks for the response! We have gotten used to being able to do laundry onboard the Disney ships, so we'll have to think differently about how we pack for FOS. I need to go read some trip reports!

You're welcome! :) How big is your family?

I'm very glad to have found this thread. I hope to be cruising on FOS in May, we should find out this week and I am anxious to see what kind of room we will get. This is for my 11 yo dd's Make-A-Wish trip, and that is why I am unsure of the details. I've been reading all the info I can find on this ship and we are very excited to be going. DH and I cruised on the Empress a few years ago and it was our favorite cruise.

Do any of you know which nights are the formal nights on Freedom for a 7-night cruise? I'm trying to plan which nights to go to Portofino and Chops, but we don't want to miss formal nights in the dining room.
Which itinerary? Western or Eastern?

Can anyone tell me about this cabin...?

Also...what eating places on the FOS are included and which ones are not included with the cost of the cruise...?

Thanks

Wow, you scored the center "hump" balcony cabin on the starboard side. This is a much sought after balcony cabin that sleep two. It is an E2 cabin.

What information are you looking for?

There are so many eating places....the main dining room, windjammer, cafe promenade, and sorrentos are all included. Portofino, Chops, Johnny Rockets (unless you have a coupon), and Ben and Jerry's ice cream are all pay as you go. If I forgot any venue just ask. Oh, all booze is an extra charge, as is soda and juice (not a breakfast). Don't buy the soda card. It is more expensive unless you drink a lot of soda. The pay sodas are a full can. The card is a fountain drink in a cup.

We recently booked three cabins for the May 31 sailing. Cabin 1 is for FIL and BIL. Cabins 2 & 3 are connecting E1 cabins so our kids (will be 5 and almost 2) can have lights out without us having to sit in the dark or sit on the toilet. (When traveling we always observe our kids' home sleep schedules and stick to central time, so bedtime = 9 pm Eastern Time.) This is the first time we will sail with connecting cabins; in the past (with one child) we tried to book cabins on ships that has a curtain fully dividing the room and that helps with the lights out situation. (I love the fact that all cabins on Disney has that curtain divider and NCL offers that option in cabins with a more affordable rate.) We decided to get the two cabins only because I read somewhere that the only cabins with a full curtain divider starts in the GS on up, but it is much cheaper to do the two connecting E1 cabins than a single GS cabin. But maybe what I read was wrong!? FOS experts, are there any outside cabins below the GS level that has a curtain fully dividing the cabin into two "private" sleep spaces?

You know, that's a great question. In all the years I've been sailing with RCI I have never opened that curtain. But now that I think about it, I don't think there is any curtain in the balcony cabins on FOS. There are some cabins that adjoin a balcony with an inside. That could be cheaper.

You know, that's a great question. In all the years I've been sailing with RCI I have never opened that curtain. But now that I think about it, I don't think there is any curtain in the balcony cabins on FOS. There are some cabins that adjoin a balcony with an inside. That could be cheaper.

If you look at the balcony pics for FOS you can see that there is a curtain that goes across the entire room for privacy. You can really see if you look at the 360 degree view on the rccl website.

I just thought this had to be started so let the discussion begin! haha:D

I can't believe it took me 10 months to find this thread. After a 600 day wait we ended up being on Freedom's 100th cruises. (Not a grammatical error, but an inside joke). Our roll call group, my first, made this a great cruise.

At Disney, you notice that the employees are paid to make sure you are having a great time time, but on Freedom it felt much more genuine. It felt like every crew member cared and wanted to help in any way. It felt like the ship was staffed with the best of the fleet. We will definitely sail this class again.

Now, I'm off to reply to months old posts :D

Whew! Just finished reading this whole thread! I head out on February 8th.

Question: On some ships, the pools are not open on embarkation day. What about the pools and hot tubs on Freedom? Coming out of New Hampshire in February, I want to get wet once on board! Are they open?

Hey everyone! I have sailed with RCI once before on Enchantment in dec 05. I am all set to take my second cruise in Oct aboard Freedom. I already have my stateroom booked but I do have some questions and any info is greatly appreciated. This is my first time having a balcony stateroom. I have read several posts regarding people being able to see in other peoples stateroom?:confused: (not exactly sure what this is all about) This has me a little concerned. Also, view obstruction is lingering on my mind. My stateroom is 8694/D2. It is at the aft od the ship on port side. It is the 3rd to last balcnoy in the category on deck 8. Which deck is the lifeboats located. As comorting as they may be, I dont want to be sitting on the deck overlooking lifeboats. :) Thanks for reading, and again, any help, info, etc. is more than welcome.

Hey everyone! I have sailed with RCI once before on Enchantment in dec 05. I am all set to take my second cruise in Oct aboard Freedom. I already have my stateroom booked but I do have some questions and any info is greatly appreciated. This is my first time having a balcony stateroom. I have read several posts regarding people being able to see in other peoples stateroom?:confused: (not exactly sure what this is all about) This has me a little concerned. Also, view obstruction is lingering on my mind. My stateroom is 8694/D2. It is at the aft od the ship on port side. It is the 3rd to last balcnoy in the category on deck 8. Which deck is the lifeboats located. As comorting as they may be, I dont want to be sitting on the deck overlooking lifeboats. :) Thanks for reading, and again, any help, info, etc. is more than welcome.

As you can see ...

FreedominLab.jpg

the lifeboats are well below you. You'll have to stand at the rail and look straight down to see the lifeboats.

If you look at the balcony pics for FOS you can see that there is a curtain that goes across the entire room for privacy. You can really see if you look at the 360 degree view on the rccl website.

OK, so the picture in my head is no longer accurate....old age....so very sorry. I will check my photos.

buzymom3, is this (pic posted by lori450) what you had in mind? I've seen that elsewhere but I was told by folks who stayed in those cabins (on other RCCL ships) that the curtains are there only for decoration; they don't pull all the way across the cabin; they just stay "as is". Have you ladies tried?

Edited by Scotch

As you can see ...

FreedominLab.jpg

the lifeboats are well below you. You'll have to stand at the rail and look straight down to see the lifeboats.

On this photo, which is the deck that we see directly above the lifeboat row? I'm trying to figure out where we will be (midship on Deck 6).