All Things Freedom of the Seas!

Hi,

I will be sailing on the Freedom on Jan 10,2010. I am debating between going to Nachi Cocum for the day or to go on RC's excursion that goes to the Mayan ruins and beach break. I really want to see the ruins but also I'd like to spend some time at the beach.

Has anyone done RC's excursion to the ruins and beach? And if so how much time do you really get to spend at the beach?

This will be our first time in Cozumel so any help will be greatly appreciated.

Also do you know what pier we will be docked at.

Thank you in advance

Liz

• 2 weeks later...
I just book FOS for April 2010. I know it is a VERY long way off :( but I am still excited. We will be driving to Port Canaveral so does anyone have any suggestions on where to stay the night before the cruise? Thanks

Country Inn and Suites (we have only sailed Disney in the past and are trying Freedom for the 1st time next summer). It is WONDERFUL! Free breakfast, on-time shuttle, nice rooms, have a park rate (to park your car for the week). It's actually closer to the port than the Radisson. The Radisson has been getting TERRIBLE reviews on the Disney boards.

Hi, all. This thread is great! I've loved reading all the tips and seeing the pictures of the Freedom. She is beautiful!

We just booked an Eastern for June 6, 2010. We will be in connecting cabins, ocean view, on Deck 2. I am looking forward to our 1st RCI cruise. Are the kids' activities listed on the Compass, or are their separate kids' compass?

I would appreciate any tips or links. Thanks!

Hi, all. This thread is great! I've loved reading all the tips and seeing the pictures of the Freedom. She is beautiful!

We just booked an Eastern for June 6, 2010. We will be in connecting cabins, ocean view, on Deck 2. I am looking forward to our 1st RCI cruise. Are the kids' activities listed on the Compass, or are their separate kids' compass?

I would appreciate any tips or links. Thanks!

Each night, your stateroom host will place a special compass aimed at each child's age group. These will list the "highlights" for the coming day. SOME children's activities are listed in the regular compass....like Teen karaoke. It was neat for my kids to have their own. My daugher would use a highlighter pen each night and mark the things she wanted to do the next day.

Country Inn and Suites (we have only sailed Disney in the past and are trying Freedom for the 1st time next summer). It is WONDERFUL! Free breakfast, on-time shuttle, nice rooms, have a park rate (to park your car for the week). It's actually closer to the port than the Radisson. The Radisson has been getting TERRIBLE reviews on the Disney boards.

Can you provide links to the "terrible" reviews on the Disney boards? I did a search on Radisson on the Disney forum and the worst thing I could find that was said was that the standard rooms are a bit small. We're booked ther for the night before our Freedom cruise in September so if there's anything I should be aware of, it would be nice to know while there's still time to cancel and book elsewhere. A small room I can deal with, it's just DH and me.

We use to do the Radission EVERY time we cruised. However, about 3 maybe 4 years ago, we had a HORRIBLE experience. (Three rooms before there was an OK room without bugs,etc) I swore then that I would NEVER stay there again. We have stayed at the Shreaton 4 points and Country Inns and Suites since. However.....this time, the online price I got for the Rad. was so good.......DH and I decided that we could "live" with a room at the Rad. for 1 night. YUCK!!!!!!!!!! The room was VERY old looking and worn. The pool area also is looking like it needs an over haul. To top it off, there were ANTS in our bathroom. When I went to complain, the desk guy called for someone to spray, but told me "It's Florida..........everyone has ants. You can't avoid it" Well..........I live in Tampa, FLORIDA. We don't have ants in my kitchen or bathrooms. This time I mean it. WE WILL NOT STAY THERE AGAIN!

I stayed at the Radisson at the Port about 3 wks. ago before my Freedom cruise. To put it plain and simple, the place is a dump. I will never go back there again. It was just my daughter and I. So when we got there, we were given our key and proceeded to our room. We walked around forever dragging 2 huge pieces of luggage in 100 degree heat and looking for an elevator with no luck. Our building did not have one!! The front desk should have told us this. There were elevators in the 2 buildings on either side of us and we had to use those and walk across a breezeway to get to ours. The elevator was hot and stunk really bad. You do not want to get stuck in there!! There was a wicker type chair in our room with a busted seat. Glad we didn't sit down!! We had reserved the shuttle to the port a couple of months in advance. We were told on the phone we would be on the 11:30 and then when we checked in, they told us that we were on the 12:00 with no explanation given. So I decided to get a taxi and believe me it was worth every penny. We were at the port by 10:30 and checked right in. The whole shuttle scenario was total chaos and it was running an hour behind. the Radisson is dirty and gross and unorganized. Do not go there!!!

Each night, your stateroom host will place a special compass aimed at each child's age group. These will list the "highlights" for the coming day. SOME children's activities are listed in the regular compass....like Teen karaoke. It was neat for my kids to have their own. My daugher would use a highlighter pen each night and mark the things she wanted to do the next day.

Tchrmom: do you have the compasses available to share? I'm trying to find current dailies and for the 12-14 yr old group. TIA!

Can you provide links to the "terrible" reviews on the Disney boards? I did a search on Radisson on the Disney forum and the worst thing I could find that was said was that the standard rooms are a bit small. We're booked ther for the night before our Freedom cruise in September so if there's anything I should be aware of, it would be nice to know while there's still time to cancel and book elsewhere. A small room I can deal with, it's just DH and me.

Here is one thread and the other thread on the Radisson and CIS. HTH!

Has anyone stayed at the Radisson at the port? We'll be on the Freedom in September/October and it looks like Radisson is the closest

We stayed at the Radisson when we went on the Disney Magic in 2006 and we are booked again this month. The hotel has a cruise and sleep package that can't be beat. You can park your car there free of charge during the entire cruise instead of paying over $100 to park at the port. They also have the sleep number beds. I love em, hubby hates them. LOL. They also add free breakfast buffet for two the morning of departure.

This is your best bet!! Have fun!!!!

I am having the hardest time dealing with RCI's representatives. They as well as their site is quite vague. I felt as if I needed to squeeze the info out of these people. I hear people taliking about white nights, themed nights and so forth.

Can anyone post a recent Western Compass so that I can have an idea of how to plan. We will be cruisng on July 19th and was wondering how to plan our attire, reservations to Chops, Portofino and any themed events. I just want to have the option because hubby is almost refusing to dress up at all and I am sadly looking at a lot of Windjammer dinners on board. He may agree to a night or two of dressing up.Please help me. If anyone could post the compasses or give me more info on what happens each night on the Western that would be great. I would be happy with at least one formal dinner and hopefully I can try some lobster while on board.

Thank you all so much!!!!

We stayed at the Radisson when we went on the Disney Magic in 2006 and we are booked again this month. The hotel has a cruise and sleep package that can't be beat. You can park your car there free of charge during the entire cruise instead of paying over $100 to park at the port. They also have the sleep number beds. I love em, hubby hates them. LOL. They also add free breakfast buffet for two the morning of departure.

This is your best bet!! Have fun!!!!

DISREGARD THE ABOVE COMMENTS PLEASE!!!

I just wanted to say that after reading further down the thread I wasn't at all pleased with the reviews about the Radisson. I went on Disboards only to confirm that everyone was right. It reminded me of the wait for the shuttle and the fact that although the room had been clean then, it was pretty run down. Not to mention the rowdy and outdated looking pool at nightmand the fact that it is a motel style hotel. Hubby just reminded me of that precruise night that we walked by someones room and they were undressed in bed with the curtain open. The freak was an exhibisionist (if thats how u spell it). We had to pass his room to get to ours. We had to cover our kids eyes. UGH!!!

Since I am a Marriott Rewards member, I looked up the Residence Inn and found it to be chaper for a newer, larger, studio suite which includes free parking as well and a hot breakfast for all of us not just 2 people. The shuttle is $6 round trip. The price was $132.00 with AAA. Better quality, better price.

So I take back my comments above. Sorry!!

Hey everyone, I just booked FOS for May of 10. A loooong way away, but I still have questions-

1) Which night is the "Ever After" show, as that is really the only one that appeals to me.

2) Water- do they really charge for water? Really? I drink 64 oz a day and don't like it out of the tap unless filtered.

3) I might consume the equivalent of 10 glasses wine throughout the cruise during dinner. Should I order a wine package, or is it still cheaper to order by the glass?

4) Since we are cruising with friends, and this is their first- Do the "my-time" diners miss out on some of the cruise ship dining experiences? Can they still see the waiter performances? I love the idea of setting my own dining time and the fact that people mentioned they got in and out more quickly (and even got seats by the window) using this option?

5) Anyone been to some of the fitness classes? What did you think?

6) Anyone been to the wine tastings? I noticed there is a cover charge. Worth it?

7) Where is the best place to party at night? It looks like promenade is popular. Is the sky bar a good place? I love places where you can sit and have a drink AND still have a view of the ocean. Isn't that why we booked vacations on cruise ships?

I had to post regarding the Radisson, because I felt the above reviews were a bit harsh. Everyone has an opinion, so I do respect and believe that you may not have had the best experience, but I just thought I would give mine.

We stayed at the Radisson last August for 2 days before our cruise on the Mariner. We absolutely love it. It was clean, but nothing super fancy as far as the room we stayed in. It was very comfortable and well kept in my opinion. It was a breeze to check in and the staff was extremely helpful.

The pool is awesome. It is large with a very tropical feel. They have a gazebo type bar that I think charged way too much for drinks, so we just headed down to publix and brought our own beer for by the pool. Music was playing, and it really got us in the cruising mood.

We used the fitness room both mornings, and it is typical for a hotel. Not much in the way of equipment, but what was there was well kept and clean.

We did not eat breakfast there. We ate at a place next door, which was fine. We also did not use their shuttle as we had rented a car and used the Budget shuttle.

When we were staying at the Radisson, the coolest thing was that we knew someone important was staying there. There were dogs sniffing everything, security all over the place at all hours of the night and in the early morning hours, and black cars, a large black bus etc. We knew something was up. It ended up being Barak Obama. He was staying at the Radisson before doing a speech in Orlando. The morning greeted us with secret service and police motorcycles everywhere. It was pretty exciting.

This year we are staying at the Residence Inn, only because it is cheaper and includes a breakfast buffet. This year we needed a suite, because there will be 6 of us, so we needed a little more and it ended up that the Radisson was more expensive. We will see what it is like. I will miss the pool at the Radisson. The landscaping is beautiful around the pool and the Florida fun feel is hard to beat.

I'm sure the answer is in the thread somewhere, but the search didn't help. I was planning on renting a tux for DH through the ship, but I am reading some threads where they say they didn't see many tuxes. I have two long formals I will be wearing and want some nice pics, but I also don't want DH miserable if he is one of the few in tuxes. He has a nice dark grey suit, but it definitely isn't as dressy as a tux. What was the tux situation on your cruise?

We stayed at the Raddison last summer before our Mariner cruise.

The rooms ARE small, but for one night it was less space to forget something in.

The pool was beautiful.

We were checked in very promptly.

We were the first shuttle to the port.

Our only complaint is that we had lunch their the day before our cruise, and service was like watching paint dry. TOO SLOW.

We would however stay there again.

Can't beat that price.

Safe travels.

I am having the hardest time dealing with RCI's representatives. They as well as their site is quite vague. I felt as if I needed to squeeze the info out of these people. I hear people taliking about white nights, themed nights and so forth.

Can anyone post a recent Western Compass so that I can have an idea of how to plan. We will be cruisng on July 19th and was wondering how to plan our attire, reservations to Chops, Portofino and any themed events. I just want to have the option because hubby is almost refusing to dress up at all and I am sadly looking at a lot of Windjammer dinners on board. He may agree to a night or two of dressing up.Please help me. If anyone could post the compasses or give me more info on what happens each night on the Western that would be great. I would be happy with at least one formal dinner and hopefully I can try some lobster while on board.

Thank you all so much!!!!

Don't worry about DH dressing up. My DH HATES dressing up. On the first formal night,(Monday) he wore dress pant, and a button down shirt. On the 2nd formal night, (Thursday) we went to CHOPS. There he wore dress pants and a Tommy Bahama type shirt. You will see men in tuxes.....but you will also see men in just nice pants and shirts. Don't worry about DH. He will be fine....as long as he isn't in shorts or jeans. (But I did see a few of those too!)

I will TRY and get my son to scan and post the 6/12-6/28 western compasses.

Tchrmom: do you have the compasses available to share? I'm trying to find current dailies and for the 12-14 yr old group. TIA!

I don't think DD brought hers home.....but I will dig through and check.