Amsterdam question for Ine (or others)

Hello Ine- We've enjoyed reading all these posts about Amsterdam and look forward to our short visit (at the end of our river cruise). We would like to go to the Van Gogh museum from the dock area (we assume the area near the train station). How is the best way for us to go? Also, our free afternoon (when we wish to visit the museum) is a Sunday afternoon (3/31). Is it likely that the museum will be so busy that they will have timed-admission or other restrictions? And will returning to the dock be as similar as getting there? If you recommend taxis, could you give us an estimate of the cost?

Thank you! Lynn

Hello Ine- We've enjoyed reading all these posts about Amsterdam and look forward to our short visit (at the end of our river cruise). We would like to go to the Van Gogh museum from the dock area (we assume the area near the train station). How is the best way for us to go? Also, our free afternoon (when we wish to visit the museum) is a Sunday afternoon (3/31). Is it likely that the museum will be so busy that they will have timed-admission or other restrictions? And will returning to the dock be as similar as getting there? If you recommend taxis, could you give us an estimate of the cost?

Thank you! Lynn

Most riverships dock close to Centraal Station, some of it west, some of it east. Depending whre the ship is walk to Centraal Station. From there Tramnr. 16 and 24 both go to Museumplein, which is the square where Rijksmuseum aswell as Van Goghmuseum are. You can take those back again to Centraal Station (But watch you take it into the right direction!).

I never heard from anytime restrictions in the Museum, so you can stay as long as you want.

You can buy single ride tickets inside the tram, or at the white wooden building in front of Centraal Station buy a "strippenkaart" (15 zones) which is a little cheaper. You stamp it by zones (from CS to Museumplein is 3 strips each) and it can be used therefor for more passengers.

In case you are over 65, buy a "rosa" strippenkaart with discount.

Have a look at the site for Amsterdam Public transport, you will see the networkcard and more inforamtion.

http://www.gvb.nl/english/travellers/maps/Pages/Maps.aspx

Thanks for always being so helpful!

Now I am wondering what time to pre-book our tickets for the AF House. Do you know if you choose a time , let's say 1:30 - 2:30. then can you arrive anytime between like at 2 pm or 2:15 or do you have to arrive by 1:30 and be out by 2:30?

Thanks.

Thanks for always being so helpful!

Now I am wondering what time to pre-book our tickets for the AF House. Do you know if you choose a time , let's say 1:30 - 2:30. then can you arrive anytime between like at 2 pm or 2:15 or do you have to arrive by 1:30 and be out by 2:30?

Thanks.

I am not sure, but I think you have to stick to the exact hours.

So 1.30- 2.30 probably means you have to be there around 1.30.

If you want to be sure about it, send them an e-mail with that question.

Just today it was mentioned again on the radio that sometimes lines can be long and it is so much more convenient to buy tickets on-line. There is a special entrance door for those people, so you donot have to stand in-line.

Ine, do you know how difficult it is to get on the canal ride if we plan to do that right when we disembark the ship after 12 pm? If we walk over to Central Station, are there usually huge line-ups and long waits to board one of those rides, or do the lines move quickly and constantly?

Ine, do you know how difficult it is to get on the canal ride if we plan to do that right when we disembark the ship after 12 pm? If we walk over to Central Station, are there usually huge line-ups and long waits to board one of those rides, or do the lines move quickly and constantly?

I have another question for Ine. I have been reading her replies and info and feel so much better about our four day stay in Amsterdam in May. We are staying at the Radisson SAS on Rusland 17. I keep looking at the maps. Are there bus routes near the hotel? I can't find them.

Ine, please know that your information is truly appreciated.

Thank you.

Temma

It will be no problem. Opposite CS you will find Holland International and Lovers. On Damrak (the busy long street to Dam) at the left side there are more, like Kooy etc.

Usually the ships sail off and on, in general just a short waiting time. Often departure times are published or check before buying tickets.

I have another question for Ine. I have been reading her replies and info and feel so much better about our four day stay in Amsterdam in May. We are staying at the Radisson SAS on Rusland 17. I keep looking at the maps. Are there bus routes near the hotel? I can't find them.

Ine, please know that your information is truly appreciated.

Thank you.

Temma

Glad to help you of course. I know Radisson SAS, it is a a very nice hotel. Once it was a paperfactory...turned into a hotel with different types of rooms. Some of them with canalview.

There is no bus inmediately to the hotel. Depending where you are going to or coming from, either walk to Rokin/Vijzelstraat at Muntplein. You will find various tramlines leaving from there.

Or walk to Stopera at Waterlooplein. You will find a Metrostation (underground) to centraal Station or Amsterdam South.

From CS either take again tram etc. to the place you want to go.

Both departure points are just a few minutes away.

Check B4 of this map. Your hotel is between Stopera and Allard Pierson Museum. http://www.amsterdam.info/print/map/

Publiuc transport, see maps and more info on this site

http://www.gvb.nl/english/Pages/default.aspx

Thank you, Ine, for all your advice. We leave today for Brussels, then end up in Amsterdam in 10 days. We assume we'll be close enough to Central Station that we can easily walk over there to pick up transportation to the museums. We visited the Rijks Museaum on our last trip (with a tour, so no transportatin issues), and we intend to visit the Van Gogh Museum on this trip. Again- Thank you!

Archived