beaches

patience32

This is a great thread! We are visiting Grenada for the first time, off the Emerald Princess in March. We are avid snorkelers and we are looking for a beach with as few vendors as possible and good snorkeling a reasonable distance from shore. Magazine Beach sounds very good - does anyone here have a link to some pictures of the place? Any other suggestions of beaches that would fit the bill are welcomed too. Thanks!!!

Gene and Kathy from Cape Cod

My pictures are here(2007) and here(2008)

Larry & Sue - thanks so much, that's exactly what I was looking for! Looks like a very nice beach (with the all-important beach bar/restaurant!). Did you or any of your group snorkel there and if so, was it good? (others comments on this welcomed too).

thanks again!

Gene

Larry & Sue - thanks so much, that's exactly what I was looking for! Looks like a very nice beach (with the all-important beach bar/restaurant!). Did you or any of your group snorkel there and if so, was it good? (others comments on this welcomed too).

thanks again!

Gene

The first year we snorkeled a little but didn't have fins with us and didn't want to go to far out. The reefs close to shore didn't have much and the ones further out were getting into some currents we didn't feel good about without fins on. The second time, this year, we brought fins (the guy renting chairs had a few to rent this time - wish he did the first year. But the seas were a bit wavy. I went out a little, and despite the waves the snorkeling was pretty good and the waves didn't bother me much once I got out of the surf. But I really didn't want to snorkel alone and others I was with didn't really want to go out in the surf so I didn't snorkel too much. I did notice a couple guys asking the rental person about where to snorkel and he actually went out with them as a guide for a while - I think they just tipped him.

The first time we went there we picked the area as it had a reputation of having decent snorkeling.

The worst thing for me is figuring out where to keep my money,towel,etc safe if we both want to go in the water at the same time without having everything possibly lifted.

We each have a water wallet into which we put our $$, credit cards and ID. They sell them here at CC in the Logowear link at the top of this page. Doing this alleviates all the worry!

I also want to stay away from Anse beach this time!!

When we went last January I lost count of all the traders/beggers/kids hassling us, my husband even went into the sea to get away from them and someone came out to him and asked if he wanted to go on a banana boat - will let you use your imagination what he replied LOL

Katybean

We were there just a couple of weeks ago and paid 40EC or $16 US for roundtrip from Grand Anse area for 3 people. I would estimate it would take about 30 mintes from the cruise ship terminal. Of course, we have been using the same taxi driver for about 8 years, and he has been very good to us. And us, to him!!

• 2 weeks later...
We were there just a couple of weeks ago and paid 40EC or $16 US for roundtrip from Grand Anse area for 3 people. I would estimate it would take about 30 mintes from the cruise ship terminal. Of course, we have been using the same taxi driver for about 8 years, and he has been very good to us. And us, to him!!

SanLan, how do we locate YOUR taxi driver???

Dinah

dfuller@tulsarealtors.com

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Larry -

I really appreciate your posts (on multiple threads). We are on the Summit next month and trying to decide activities. Friends wanted to snorkel Grenada, but we preferred Barbados (with the turtles ... especially after seeing your pics!). Any thoughts on one location over the other? I'd prefer a island spice tour & beach time on Grenada.

Thanks!

Jay

Neither island is known for great snorkeling. In Barbados we love the Silver Moon - look for reviews of this in the Barbados forum.

Only place we've gone in Grenada is Aquarium on Magazine beach as discussed above. I'm usually not too crazy about island tours and probably wouldn't appreciate a spice tour. I'd rather just hang out at a nice beach and Aquarium area fits the bill. I did read one review recently of another beach or snorkeling area that the reviewer loved but can't remember the name.

Larry -

I really appreciate your posts (on multiple threads). We are on the Summit next month and trying to decide activities. Friends wanted to snorkel Grenada, but we preferred Barbados (with the turtles ... especially after seeing your pics!). Any thoughts on one location over the other? I'd prefer a island spice tour & beach time on Grenada.

Thanks!

Jay

Welcome to CC jayred, which week are you cruising? You should check out the roll calls and say hi to your fellow cruisers- maybe I'm one of them ( on the 2/21 Summit)

I love to snorkel and have been to all the islands on our itinerary multiple times ( except Tobago). If you're doing the alternate itinerary with Aruba and Bonaire I can only give my 2 cents about our itinerary. Barbados is not the best island for snorkeling- maybe the turtle thing or Folkstone, Grenada- I agree with Larry- Magazine/Aquarium, if your cruise takes you to Dominca- see the island, we've been there twice and still haven't got enough ( if you have to snorkel- got to Champagne Bay), St Maarten- 1st time go to Orient, after that, Pinel, Tintamarre (maybe the 3 island tour with Captain Alan

Good Luck

We were at Magazine Beah last Tuesday (Jan 13th) and it was beautiful. I believe the trip back to the ship takes approximately 30 minutes (depending on traffic of course) You pretty much go right through town, so it can be a bit congested. We had no probem making it back --- allowed ourselves 45 minutes and made it no problem. Even had some time to wander up the hills to the church that had the roof blown off. It was great! School had just gotten out and there were many kids walking home in their school uniforms. It was a wonderful touch of the island people! MAKE SURE that you ask the taxi driver which beach you are at, because our taxi driver was told to take us to Magazine Beach and he dropped us off at Morne Rouge. VERY frustrating. It was beautiful there and we would have stayed, but we were meeting a group at Magazine Beach. Beautiful island.

Archived