Mt. Marathon Race in Seward

erhoffer

Has anyone ever run the Mt. Marathon race in Seward? My husband really wants to do it. We thought it would be fun, since our ship disembarks early on Jul 4th in Seward. But reading the fine print, we learned that the first-time runners have to attend a pre-race briefing the day before we arrive. He tried to find some way around this, but so far, no luck...

If you have done the race, perhaps figured a way around this rule, or even just been up the mountain - let us know.

thanks,

- Erin

Has anyone ever run the Mt. Marathon race in Seward? My husband really wants to do it. We thought it would be fun, since our ship disembarks early on Jul 4th in Seward. But reading the fine print, we learned that the first-time runners have to attend a pre-race briefing the day before we arrive. He tried to find some way around this, but so far, no luck...

If you have done the race, perhaps figured a way around this rule, or even just been up the mountain - let us know.

thanks,

- Erin

It's not an event you can enter that day. You have to apply to run and not all that apply get to run - http://www.seward.com/news-events/marathon/race_details.htm I have a friend that tried for 4 or 5 years before he finally one a bib in the lottery. And trust me, you have to follow the rules to be on that mountain during the race or in the case of the folks that live here they'd be jeopardizing their place in the next year's race.

I know people that hike and run it all the time. The only time you wouldn't be allowed to be hiking or running on the Mt. would be on the events during July 4th.

Susan in Anchorage :)

I highly suggest watching the race before even considering running it. There are people that train all year just for this one day. It's highly competitive. 3.5 miles and 3032' up and back down in less than an hour for the front runners. ( Almost straight up and down) Some come back all bloody and muddy, some get hurt every year.

There are people that camp outside the chamber of commerce office the night before the registration opening to get a spot, which is limited to 300 each division. That was raised from 200 a couple of years ago. They auction off a few spots the night before the race.

You'll have fun watching it. They close off the streets downtown for craft and food vendors. They have other contests, a parade, fireworks, bands etc.

Don't expect to get anywhere fast as people will be everywhere. Traffic can be terrible with some driving around in circles looking for a place to park. I wouldn't think about parking anywhere close to town if driving.

Archived