Accessibility at the Acropolis/Parthenon, Greece

Hello, I'm hoping that someone on this forum will have an answer to my question. My husband, daughter and I will be taking a Mediterrean Cruise on the Emerald Princess in May. We are in the process of looking at excursions. Right now we are considering the options to see Athens. Obviously, the Acropolis/Parthenon is sometime I would like to see. I'm 60 years old and have two artificial knees and a fused left ankle and use a cane when walking because my one knee occasionally gives out on me. Other than that, I'm quite mobile. LOL! However, I have my doubts that I will be able to climb all those stairs, but especially the descent, when there is no railing to hold onto. I usually travel backwards down stairs as it is easier on my knees. Does anyone know if there is wheelchair access here that I might be able to use? It there is, has anyone sailed with Princess and taken a sanctioned excursion to Athens? Were you able to visit this site? If there is wheelchair access, how were you able to arrange this service? Any advice/help one can give, would be most appreciated.

We were in Athens last November. I use a rollator and have limited step ability. We did not use the Princess tour but arranged a private tour. When they saw my rollator my husband and I were granted free admission and directed to the area for wheelchair access. After walking about 3 to 4 city blocks in distance (over uneven ground) we came to a set of steep steps with a chair lift that led to an elevator. We were accompanied by an attendant with a key to the lift. Unfortunately the key did not work the lift. She called a repairman who attempted to fix the lift. I told my husband to go on up which he did. The repairman was unable to fix the lift so he called another repairman. They probably worked about 45 minutes but it didn't budge. After that I retraced my steps and left. However I did enjoy watching them work and the attendant spoke a little English and we talked about the site and our families. Also I had a wonderful view of the city of Athens.

Northern Light, Here's the info I've collected about handicapped Acropolis for our Nov. 2008 cruise. We've booked a private taxi excursion to be able to see everything in one day.

katisdale,

Sorry to hear that the elevator was broken. That would really be upsetting to us after all our planning. Sounds like you had a nice time and enjoyed your visit. Thanks for the your thoughts.

http://www.athensguide.com/disabled/index.htm

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189400-i194-k1477100-Mobility_info_for_acropolis_and_plaka_in_athens-Athens_Attica.html

Clickable map of accessible path on Acropolis and info:

http://www.athensinfoguide.com/wtsacrop.htm#1

Hope these work and help.

We took the Princess bus tour to the Acropolis. It let you out at an area at the bottom of the hill where you could look up and see it. There was a steep incline which one could walk up to get to it. We did not.

I might also mention that the big beautiful busses there have very steep steps, it was hard for me to get up them but I was determined.

parthenon.jpg.24671f2dfe023c61c162bd256eebe362.jpg

Thank you Katisdale for responding and for your comments. What a bummer that they couldn't get the lift working for you but glad that you were still able enjoy the view of Athens. I would guess that the worker enjoyed talking with you as well.

Sandy

Thank you, Judy for all your helpful links regarding accessing the acropolis. Have made note of everything. Hope you have a super cruise in the fall. I'll certainly post in this forum about my own excursion experiences when we return.

Sandy

Thanks a bunch, Cusyl, for posting the picture. It certainly gave me a good idea of what to expect. I am just going to go with the attitude of doing what I am able and not worrying about what I can't. It's good that I can still send my husband and daughter up the rest of the way and will enjoy their experience when we look at pictures they took. Hopefully, the lift/elevator will be working that day but, regardless, just to be that close will be an experience. So glad I discovered this forum. Again, thanks a bunch to everyone who responded.

Sandy

Northern Light, Here's the info I've collected about handicapped Acropolis for our Nov. 2008 cruise. We've booked a private taxi excursion to be able to see everything in one day.

katisdale,

Sorry to hear that the elevator was broken. That would really be upsetting to us after all our planning. Sounds like you had a nice time and enjoyed your visit. Thanks for the your thoughts.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189400-i194-k1477100-Mobility_info_for_acropolis_and_plaka_in_athens-Athens_Attica.html

Clickable map of accessible path on Acropolis and info:

http://www.athensinfoguide.com/wtsacrop.htm#1

Hope these work and help.

Great information. Thanks for posting. How can this be added to our great sticky's at the top of our forum?

I also used this man's notebook to get to the top of the Acropolis and into the museum and inspect (they are proud of it) the accessible bathroom. We did this in early November of 2006 on the Celebrity Galaxy. There was no tour that used an accessible bus. The nice folks at RCCL insisted all the city buses, paratransit buses and ferries were all now non-accessible again. Phoey! There were two drive up ramp city buses at dockside in, darn, the port name escapes me. If they had schedules in English we would have done that. We grabbed a cab and most are large enough to break down a manual chair and hold 2 people easily. Our driver also was unaware he was allowed to drive higher so he asked a police officer. I agree that sport castors are probably not going to work but with the spouse pushing (he was 58 and sits a desk...) we didn't have any problems getting to the first lift then the elevator. Coming back down an elderly man who felt unsteady on the rocks rode with us along with the required safety guide.

Thirty years previous my husband used the ferries out of the doc area (Peraus!) and so we had an idea of times and what would be worthwhile. It was a great sunny day and after a taxi tour we headed to a seaside restuarant (obviously a deal between owner and taxi driver) and had a great lunch. Warning! Before heading into suggested restaurants make sure if there are steps that the same people who so helpfully want to carry you down will be there to head back up. And that they will call you a taxi also.

BTW, the elevator only needs to be in place through the end of, well, 2007. So if you use it please write the mayor or chief of tourism in Greece to please let all the world enjoy this fabulous monument and keep the lift and elevator in place. Oh, on top the Acropolis you'll see deep red wheelchair markings on the ground. Those are level places to take breathers, pictures or just imagine the past.

Archived