Live from Diamond Princess 3/17 sailing

flamomo

We're having GREAT cruise. The Diamond is beautiful. I like it much better than I thought I would. Lots of PAX, but no feeling of crowding. We have had good seas all the way. Today it's quite calm. The first 2 sea days were pretty chilly as expected, but it got warmer starting the 3rd day. Last night we slept with the balcony door open. Nice feeling, hearing the sea. We DID get to see the lava last evening from our balcony. What a thrill! Hope the next sailers do too.

The food is great. We have anythine dining, and like a three of the dining rooms, but the Santa Fe is our favorite. We went to the Sterling Steakhouse and it was definitely worth the premium. We have a reservation for Sabatini's on the 27th. Can't wait ti try it.

Our CC M&G was a huge success. Thirty of our posters showed up. No chanpagne (DARN!), but we had a great time and the CD said he'll set us up for another one on the return trip.

Will try to post again in a few days.

Glad you are having a good time, and thanks for letting us know about the weather and seas. Each crossing seems to be different.

THIRTY CC's eh? That is a great turn-out, and it must have been nice to put faces to names, and now have someone to wave at when you are moseying around the ship. :)

Really smooth at Lahaina today.:D Last time we couldn't get into the town because of rough seas, so this was doubly appreciated. If you don't have a tour, Lahaina is a great town to walk around, and two blocks from the tender pier (the other side of the Pioneer Hotel and Banyan Tree) across Front Street is a mall - if you walk through, there is a bus stop behind it. Buses leave every half hour for Kaanapali (sp?) - Last time we were here it was only a dollar or two each way. You end up at a large mall with a great Whaling Museum (free), and can keep on walking to the beach. Nancy

Really smooth at Lahaina today.:D Last time we couldn't get into the town because of rough seas, so this was doubly appreciated. If you don't have a tour, Lahaina is a great town to walk around, and two blocks from the tender pier (the other side of the Pioneer Hotel and Banyan Tree) across Front Street is a mall - if you walk through, there is a bus stop behind it. Buses leave every half hour for Kaanapali (sp?) - Last time we were here it was only a dollar or two each way. You end up at a large mall with a great Whaling Museum (free), and can keep on walking to the beach. Nancy

That's exactly what we did when we were in Lahaina in February. It was a nice way to spend a day in Maui. When I go next time though, I think I'd rent a car and see more of that beautiful island.

Today was Honolulu, and we were lucky to be at the Aloha Tower rather than pier 2, where the QE2 was today.

Along with the free bus to Hilo Hattie's, there is one to Maui Divers that we took - they have an interesting film and work area where they are putting the coral into jewelry. Then they took us to Waikiki, altho' you could also stop at the Ala Moana center. There are lots of fake cable cars around, but they seem to be reserved for Japanese tourists, and we didn't feel like walking several blocks to catch TheBus, so enjoyed the free bus service.

Tonight we had a folkloric show - very cute Hawaiian children doing the hula, etc. I recommend it. Nancy

If it is not too much trouble if you speak to anyone who went to the Polynesian Magic Show that was offered by Princess and what their opinion of it was. I would be grateful.

I having been looking at the bridge cam and another website following your journey. Enjoy the remainder.

I happen to be spending a land week here in Maui and can vouch for the flat seas currently; even the surfers have abandoned their usual spots here on the upper west coast. Weather has been gorgeous all week.

Whale watching has been very active--lots of comp groups, and many mother/calf sightings for anyone on the next sailing who might be interested. Snorkeling has also been very good; great visibility for seeing the fish and turtles.

It was interesting to experience a port town from the perspective of the land visitor--have to say the influx of ship visitors was not as crowded as I thought it would be. ;)

Whale watching has been very active--lots of comp groups, and many mother/calf sightings for anyone on the next sailing who might be interested. Snorkeling has also been very good; great visibility for seeing the fish and turtles.

Thank you!! I am on the next sailing and booked a whale watch trip through Pacific Whale Foundation! :D :D

Our last:( day in Hawaii. Beautiful here in Kauai. We rented a car and drove up the east coast. The lighthouse at Kilauaia (I just know that isn't spelled right) had lots of birds nesting and whales just offshore. Children are free, over 16 is $5, unless you have a Golden Age Pass, in which case it's free (my favorite word). We drove out to the end of the highway and wondered why everything was so crowded, only to find it was a Hawaiian holiday, so whatever was open was packed, and the rest was closed. Still a beautiful day. Nancy

Glad you guys are having a fun time. Thinking about all of you. Your thread was so fun.

Mary Lou, how are the hula classes going? Have you had enough foo-foo drinks to give it a whirl?

Enjoy the sea days going back. Remember -- you still have Ensenada.

Susan

Our last:( day in Hawaii. Beautiful here in Kauai. We rented a car and drove up the east coast. The lighthouse at Kilauaia (I just know that isn't spelled right) had lots of birds nesting and whales just offshore. Children are free, over 16 is $5, unless you have a Golden Age Pass, in which case it's free (my favorite word). We drove out to the end of the highway and wondered why everything was so crowded, only to find it was a Hawaiian holiday, so whatever was open was packed, and the rest was closed. Still a beautiful day. Nancy

Nancy,

How long did it take you to drive up the east coast? We are also renting a car and I am so concerned about getting back to the ship in time!! :eek: What time did you leave Nawilwili and when did you get back?

I hope your remaining days onboard are WONDERFUL!! :D

Nancy,

How long did it take you to drive up the east coast? We are also renting a car and I am so concerned about getting back to the ship in time!! :eek: What time did you leave Nawilwili and when did you get back?

I hope your remaining days onboard are WONDERFUL!! :D

We left the car rental place about 9:10, which worked out perfectly as the gate to the lighthouse area wasn't open until 10:00, altho' we could watch the birds on the cliffs below before that. We spent about an hour at the lighthouse, then drove to the end of the road, couldn't park, couldn't visit something we wanted to see as it was closed, and turned the car in about 2:00 , so were just out for less than 5 hours. We had lunch when we returned to the ship. I was tempted by the Princeville Hotel, and we drove out there, but anything that requires valet parking in Hawaii isn't my cup of tea. There is a good Kauai site on the web - which I can't remember - that lists the best things to see along the road with mileage between each of them. Today Flomomo arranged another cc get-together - the cruise director was there. Nancv

Really smoooooth today, but not so warm. We could sit out for several hours wearing a sweatshirt on the balcony, but it's definitely not Hawaii. We lost again at trivia - but that's nothing new. Really didn't need a luggage tag anyway. Nancy

Hope you all enjoy your cruises as much as we have. Just remember if you're on first seating for dinner, you need to get to any entertainment at least half an hour before it starts to get a seat. Last night we only allowed 25 minutes for the Explorer's Lounge, and all seats were already taken.

We're leaving the Diamond neat and clean (and with lots of money in the slot machines for you). ;) Nancy

Archived