Things Not to Miss in London

Indeed, if you enjoy walking try one of the London Walks with an interesting guide in unique little corners of London. We did the Charles Dickens walk in May. To see that particular excursion go to:

http://www.*****.com/london.htm

There are others that you may enjoy as well. Google "London Walks" and you can see the details.

We did the Jack the Ripper walk . . . it was truly great!

Buy a subway pass and ride the tube they have one of the best systems

Have afternoon tea

National Gallery

Harrods

take a day trip via train to Windsor Castle

London Eye

Walk through the parks (there are many of them)

Walk along the Queens Walk on the Thames

You may find many of the "attractions" pricey.

I live in England and on a recent trip to London with American friends, I was embarrassed and appalled at the costs of some places, particularly St, Pauls Cathedral ($20:00 EACH) and the Tower of London ($33:00 each).

If you can afford it, do it, but there's lots of other cool stuff to see in London for free. All the museums and art gallleries are world class and free. (The Natural History, The British, The Imperial war, The Science, The Victoria and Albert Museums). Walk the Parks, Hyde park is lovely on a nice day with the Diana memorial garden to visit and contemplate. Regents park is lovely too. I totally disagree with an earlier poster to miss the changing of the Guard at Buckingham palace. Poppycock. It's great, and free. Just get there early for a good view. Visit Harrods, simply for a look around one of the worlds greatest retail experiences. Walk Victoria embankment but look around at what's around you, there's some really interesting things on it, and just off it. Have lunch in a pub, (not free but you gotta eat!). Also get some fish and chips.

My advice would be shop around for a really top notch guide book.

I believe London top be one of the best cities in the world to visit as there are so many things to see and do.

Eating is another thing altogether, expensive for an American pocket at Pounds to Dollars but we have some of the best Restaurants in the world too. (got some tips if you're interested? heh heh).

How do you get tickets to the shows?

Best thing to do is to go to Leicester Square - in the actual square at the south end near the Odeon cinema there is the Society of West End Theatres ticket office (called TKTS). Not to be confused with various rip-off outlets in Leicester Square that claim to sell 1/2 price tickets. This one actually sells best seats 1/2 price for selected shows (these are posted on the notice board outside every morning). It opens at 10 and although there are usually large queues, they move pretty fast. The normally have a good selection of shows - musicals, dramas etc - to choose from if you don't mind waiting until the day (no advance sales). They also post the shows on the internet http://www.officiallondontheatre.co.uk/tkts

For the Globe, it's a great experience but it is mainly standing only (if you dare try to sit down it the main arena bit, someone will tell you to get up!) and for a Shakespeare play it can be a bit tiresome (there is seating in the galleries). The nice thing about the Globe is you can just pop in during a play so for £5 you can go in, watch an Act and then leave (or stay for the whole thing if you want). A good day out if you're at the Globe is to go to Borough Market, The Globe and then Vinopolous (wine museum).

Indeed, if you enjoy walking try one of the London Walks with an interesting guide in unique little corners of London. We did the Charles Dickens walk in May. To see that particular excursion go to:

There are others that you may enjoy as well. Google "London Walks" and you can see the details.

What a great idea, thank you so much.

We did the Jack the Ripper walk . . . it was truly great!

Buy a subway pass and ride the tube they have one of the best systems

Have afternoon tea

National Gallery

Harrods

take a day trip via train to Windsor Castle

London Eye

Walk through the parks (there are many of them)

Walk along the Queens Walk on the Thames

Thanks I have added them to my list.

You may find many of the "attractions" pricey.

I live in England and on a recent trip to London with American friends, I was embarrassed and appalled at the costs of some places, particularly St, Pauls Cathedral ($20:00 EACH) and the Tower of London ($33:00 each).

If you can afford it, do it, but there's lots of other cool stuff to see in London for free. All the museums and art gallleries are world class and free. (The Natural History, The British, The Imperial war, The Science, The Victoria and Albert Museums). Walk the Parks, Hyde park is lovely on a nice day with the Diana memorial garden to visit and contemplate. Regents park is lovely too. I totally disagree with an earlier poster to miss the changing of the Guard at Buckingham palace. Poppycock. It's great, and free. Just get there early for a good view. Visit Harrods, simply for a look around one of the worlds greatest retail experiences. Walk Victoria embankment but look around at what's around you, there's some really interesting things on it, and just off it. Have lunch in a pub, (not free but you gotta eat!). Also get some fish and chips.

My advice would be shop around for a really top notch guide book.

I believe London top be one of the best cities in the world to visit as there are so many things to see and do.

Eating is another thing altogether, expensive for an American pocket at Pounds to Dollars but we have some of the best Restaurants in the world too. (got some tips if you're interested? heh heh).

I appreciate all your info and yes would love to know about the restaurants.

Best thing to do is to go to Leicester Square - in the actual square at the south end near the Odeon cinema there is the Society of West End Theatres ticket office (called TKTS). Not to be confused with various rip-off outlets in Leicester Square that claim to sell 1/2 price tickets. This one actually sells best seats 1/2 price for selected shows (these are posted on the notice board outside every morning). It opens at 10 and although there are usually large queues, they move pretty fast. The normally have a good selection of shows - musicals, dramas etc - to choose from if you don't mind waiting until the day (no advance sales). They also post the shows on the internet http://www.officiallondontheatre.co.uk/tkts

For the Globe, it's a great experience but it is mainly standing only (if you dare try to sit down it the main arena bit, someone will tell you to get up!) and for a Shakespeare play it can be a bit tiresome (there is seating in the galleries). The nice thing about the Globe is you can just pop in during a play so for £5 you can go in, watch an Act and then leave (or stay for the whole thing if you want). A good day out if you're at the Globe is to go to Borough Market, The Globe and then Vinopolous (wine museum).

Thanks so much

I just wanted to tell you I started reading some of your trips and loved your web site.

Marilee

Definitely see the Victoria and Albert Museum, it is fabulous. If you have kids the science museum is great, if you just love architecture go into the main area it is amazing. Take a river cruise, you can get hop on hop off tickets if you like. Head up to Greenwich, be there before 1pm, near the prime meridian from which all time is cooridinated and see the red ball drop. The river cruise is nice, and you can take some great pictures.

As for a book on things to see, you may want to get one called the 10 best things to do in London. There are many categories for which the 10 best are grouped into, such as museums, restaurants, suggestion for walking tours ( which have alot of what is on the site already).

Have a fabulous time, I was there last year, before we went on our Baltic Sea cruise.

I totally disagree with an earlier poster to miss the changing of the Guard at Buckingham palace. Poppycock. It's great, and free. Just get there early for a good view.

An even more exclusive (but free) event is the evening Ceremony of the Keys at the Tower of London. It is necessary to request tickets in writing (far) in advance: http://hrp.org.uk/TowerOfLondon/WhatsOn/ceremonyofthekeys.aspx.

The most difficult part of that task is locating International Reply Coupons, which are produced by the Universal Postal Union http://www.upu.int/irc/en/index.shtml . Although very few U.S. Postal Service branch offices currently carry those in stock, they are obligated to obtain them for customers upon demand: http://pe.usps.gov/text/imm/immc3_025.htm .

I just wanted to tell you I started reading some of your trips and loved your web site.

Marilee

Thank you for that comment, Marilee. I have had lots of fun putting the web site together. I find it is a good way to sort, store and share pictures with a minimum of words for the various trips we have done as well projects we have undertaken.

Check our genealogy section. Who knows we might be related. At least part of our family goes back to the Mayflower and some British royalty.

Definitely see the Victoria and Albert Museum, it is fabulous. If you have kids the science museum is great, if you just love architecture go into the main area it is amazing. Take a river cruise, you can get hop on hop off tickets if you like. Head up to Greenwich, be there before 1pm, near the prime meridian from which all time is cooridinated and see the red ball drop. The river cruise is nice, and you can take some great pictures.

As for a book on things to see, you may want to get one called the 10 best things to do in London. There are many categories for which the 10 best are grouped into, such as museums, restaurants, suggestion for walking tours ( which have alot of what is on the site already).

Have a fabulous time, I was there last year, before we went on our Baltic Sea cruise.

The book sounds like a great idea. What exactly is the Victoria and Albert museum?

An even more exclusive (but free) event is the evening Ceremony of the Keys at the Tower of London. It is necessary to request tickets in writing (far) in advance: http://hrp.org.uk/TowerOfLondon/WhatsOn/ceremonyofthekeys.aspx.

The most difficult part of that task is locating International Reply Coupons, which are produced by the Universal Postal Union http://www.upu.int/irc/en/index.shtml . Although very few U.S. Postal Service branch offices currently carry those in stock, they are obligated to obtain them for customers upon demand: http://pe.usps.gov/text/imm/immc3_025.htm .

I guess I need to look into this as it sounds really cool.

Thank you for that comment, Marilee. I have had lots of fun putting the web site together. I find it is a good way to sort, store and share pictures with a minimum of words for the various trips we have done as well projects we have undertaken.

Check our genealogy section. Who knows we might be related. At least part of our family goes back to the Mayflower and some British royalty.

I will check out the genealogy section. You did a great job on the web, I really felt like I was there with you on some of the trips.

Marilee

I guess I need to look into this as it sounds really cool.
That it is. Every time I read it being recommended here, I think to myself that I should organise to go and see it myself; I've lived in London for well over 20 years and never done it. And that despite the fact that for over the last decade I've seen the Tower every day that I've been in London.

Lair Bear,

I really enjoyed reading about your trip. Thanks for sharing that with the rest of us. :) :( :rolleyes:

browneyes7

One of my favorite stops is the Queen's Gallery which is in a small building beside Buckingham Palace. It has exhibits from the Queen's personal collection. There is a charge; however, the gift shop is in the front of the building, and there are nice postcards and souveniers and you don't have to pay the fee to see the exhibit.

I sugest you try to see the Ceremony of the Keys at the Tower of London. It's an unbroken rite for over 600 years. Fantastic!

Do check out Harrod's Food Halls and then pick up a sweet to enjoy later at your hotel.

Do ride the HOHO bus (there arer a few varieties) on Day 1, and as dusk falls and the city slows, the ride can be magical. The tickets are good for 24 hours.

I also agree that the tour of the Globe Theater is very interesting. You can get there by walking across the pedestrian bridge spanning the Thames, another great sightseeing adventure.

If you have any interest in Naval history you might consider a day trip to Portsmouth. Lots of Royal Navy history there including HMS Victory, Nelson's flagship at Trafalgar. Easily reachable by train I believe.

Mike

One of my favorite stops is the Queen's Gallery which is in a small building beside Buckingham Palace. It has exhibits from the Queen's personal collection. There is a charge; however, the gift shop is in the front of the building, and there are nice postcards and souveniers and you don't have to pay the fee to see the exhibit.

I sugest you try to see the Ceremony of the Keys at the Tower of London. It's an unbroken rite for over 600 years. Fantastic!

Do check out Harrod's Food Halls and then pick up a sweet to enjoy later at your hotel.

Do ride the HOHO bus (there arer a few varieties) on Day 1, and as dusk falls and the city slows, the ride can be magical. The tickets are good for 24 hours.

I also agree that the tour of the Globe Theater is very interesting. You can get there by walking across the pedestrian bridge spanning the Thames, another great sightseeing adventure.

Thanks so much. I have added these to my list. Tell my more about the Globe theater. What exactly is it and what will I see if I visit.

Marilee

If you have any interest in Naval history you might consider a day trip to Portsmouth. Lots of Royal Navy history there including HMS Victory, Nelson's flagship at Trafalgar. Easily reachable by train I believe.

Mike

Thanks Mike

I have now lived in London for 2 years - here is the list I give to guests...(I have put links in, and will keep editing to put more in this evening)

London for historians:

The Tower of London

The British Museum

The National Maritime Museum (in Greenwich)

The Cabinet War Rooms and Churchill Museum

The British Library

London for Foodies:

Borough Market

Marylebone Farmers' Market

Harrod’s Food Hall

Tea at the Ritz

Fortnum and Mason’s

Fish & Chips

London for Shopaholics:

Oxford Street, Regent Street, Bond Street

Harrods, Harvey Nichols, Selfridges