Things Not to Miss in London

Tell my more about the Globe theater. What exactly is it and what will I see if I visit.
From the theatre's website:-
The Globe Theatre is a faithful reconstruction of the open-air playhouse designed in 1599, where Shakespeare worked and for which he wrote many of his greatest plays. The theatre season runs from April to October with productions of the work of Shakespeare, his contemporaries and modern authors.

Each year the Globe Theatre Company rediscovers the dynamic relationship between the audience and the actor in this unique building. The Globe also welcomes international theatre companies to share the impact Shakespeare's plays have had worldwide. Today, audiences of this "wooden O" sit in a gallery or stand informally as a groundling in the yard, just as they would have done 400 years ago.

Authenticity has consequences for theatre-goers:-
The Globe is a reconstruction of an open-air theatre designed in 1599 and cannot satisfy all 21st-century expectations of comfort and convenience. Please take a moment to read this information before booking. The Management reserves the right to refuse admission in accordance with our health and safety policy. If you have special needs, please advise us when booking. Shakespeare's Globe operates a no smoking policy in all our public areas.

1. All seats are priced according to visibility. The roof of the stage and all gallery seats are held up by pillars; there is no seat in the theatre from which the action is not obscured at some point by pillars.

2. Whilst all seats are covered, the theatre is open to the elements and performances continue whatever the weather. Ticket holders are advised to come prepared for rain, sun and hot or cold temperatures, but are asked not to bring umbrellas. Inexpensive Globe rain macs may be purchased at the theatre

3. There are 28 steps to the middle gallery and 50 steps to the upper gallery. Those who may have problems climbing stairs, or who suffer from vertigo, are advised to request tickets in the lower gallery. Assistance can be requested for those with mobility difficulties. Please contact the Duty House Manager on arrival.

4. Seating consists of wooden benches, many without back supports. Cushions and back supports can be rented.

5. Due to the strict nature of our licence, you are asked not to sit in the yard. Please do not bring shooting sticks or folding chairs.

6. There are no cloakrooms for the storage of coats or baggage. We request patrons to keep their belongings with them at all times. For the comfort of all patrons, it is not practical to take large items into the theatre. In these times of heightened security, please note that our staff reserve the right to carry our random bag searches.

7. All toilets are located at piazza (ground) level. There are no toilets at upper or middle gallery level.

8. We regret that pushchairs cannot be accommodated in the Yard. A limited number of baby carrying facilities are available on request, subject to availability.

9. Doors into the theatre are opened half an hour before performances begin.

10. Glass bottles are not permitted in the theatre. Items should not be placed on the stage.

One of this year's plays is A Midsummer Night's Dream. And one of the performances starts at midnight (ie 2359) on Saturday 21 June. I am so looking forward to that!

I have now lived in London for 2 years - here is the list I give to guests...(I have put links in, and will keep editing to put more in this evening)

London for historians:

The Tower of London

The British Museum

The National Maritime Museum (in Greenwich)

The Cabinet War Rooms and Churchill Museum

The British Library

London for Foodies:

Borough Market

Marylebone Farmers' Market

Harrod’s Food Hall

Tea at the Ritz

Fortnum and Mason’s

Fish & Chips

London for Shopaholics:

Oxford Street, Regent Street, Bond Street

Harrods, Harvey Nichols, Selfridges

Camden Market, Spitalfield’s Market

London for Theatre Luvvies:

Billy Elliot, Wicked, Phantom

The Royal Albert Hall

The Globe

Street Theatre at Covent Garden

London for Artists and Art Lovers

The National Gallery

The National Portrait Gallery

V&A

White Cube

Tate Modern and Tate Britain

The Wallace Collection

London for Royal Watchers

Buckingham Palace

Changing of the Guards

St James’s Palace

Clarence House

Kensington Palace

Day trips to Windsor Castle and Hampton Court Palace

London for theologians

Westminster Abbey

St Paul’s Cathedral

St Martins in the Fields

Jewish Museum

Temple Church

London Outdoors

Hyde Park

St James’s Park

Greenwich Park and Greenwich Mean Time

London Walks

The London Zoo

Kew Gardens

And just in case you thought I had forgotten:

Trafalgar Square

Piccadilly Circus

The Thames

Southbank

Tower Bridge

Millennium Bridge

Double decker buses

Pall Mall

The London Eye

Thank you so much, what a fabulous list.

An even more exclusive (but free) event is the evening Ceremony of the Keys at the Tower of London. It is necessary to request tickets in writing (far) in advance: http://hrp.org.uk/TowerOfLondon/WhatsOn/ceremonyofthekeys.aspx.

The most difficult part of that task is locating International Reply Coupons, which are produced by the Universal Postal Union http://www.upu.int/irc/en/index.shtml . Although very few U.S. Postal Service branch offices currently carry those in stock, they are obligated to obtain them for customers upon demand: http://pe.usps.gov/text/imm/immc3_025.htm .

One more question. It says that you should request ticket 2 months in advance, 3 months if you are trying for July or August. We will be in London in August 2009. Any idea just how far in advance I can request the tickets? WOuld 6 months in advance be to far out? How about 1 year? Any info greatly appreciated.

• 2 months later...
And one of the performances starts at midnight (ie 2359) on Saturday 21 June. I am so looking forward to that!
It was a great evening/night last night. Although the weather forecast promised rain (possibly heavy rain showers), in fact it stayed dry all through the performance and didn't start drizzling (very faintly) until we were well on our way home. The audience were all in a good mood - remember, this particular performance had sold out a long way in advance. And the actors were also in the mood to please, hamming up all the comic moments until even some of the cast were corpsing on stage. And there was something magical about leaving the theatre and heading off home just as dawn was beginning to break on the north-eastern horizon.

Some images from the production are now available on the show's page on the theatre's website - see here.

One tip for anyone going to a show at the Globe and sitting: if your seat does not support your back (ie it's not in the back row against a wall), renting a back support is very good value for £3.

Add also to the list such little longer day trips such as to the Cotswolds/Oxford (which might require a car rental) or going to Cambridge (which is wonderful and will not require a car rental).

In general I agree with several posters that for a first trip to London, 5 days is a great amount of time, and doesn't warrant a day trip.

But, if you want to do this, Oxford is a great place to wander around for a day. And you *do not* need a car rental--there are plenty of trains, and you can walk the city easily, or take the HoHo bus (it's a great way to save your legs.)

And you don't have to book your train ahead of time, unless somebody points out that it's cheaper--but a day-return should be fairly reasonable.

I'm surprised no one mentioned Stonehedge. I did 2 day trips out to the countryside: Stones and Bones Tour (Stonehedge-Salisbury-Old Sarum Castle-Avebury- and Country pub lunch). The second one was Bards and Battle (Shakespeare's Birthplace-Stratford Upon Avon-Warwick Castle - The Cotwalds- Oxford).

They were amazing and well worth it.

http://astraltravels.blogspot.com/

Globaliser,

would you mind looking at my brief itinerary and see if I've made some glaring problems for myself?

we only have a day & 1/2 in London

arrive about 9:30AM, plan to take Heathrow express, then taxi to hotel in Kensington area. I'm hoping we can drop off our luggage at least, if not pre-check in by around 2PM. Then, walk through Kensington Gardens & Hyde Park, head south and "hit" Harrods (window shopping), then back to the hotel to crash.

next morning, take the tube from High Street Kensington on the Circle Line?

to Tower Hill - hoping to get to the Tower as close to 9 AM as possible

spend several hours there, maybe an hour at the tower bridge, then one of the river boats to Westminster Pier.

Go by the statue of Boadicea (a heroine of mine)

lunch in a pub somewhere here? or should it be by the Tower?

afternoon at Westminster Abbey -

and then, depending on time, the British Museum?

thanks for any help

you are a font of info!

I don't think you've got any glaring problems. And you're already aware that on the first day you may have energy and stamina problems after the overnight flight. You might want to be aware that if you crash in the afternoon, you might get a nap and then feel like getting up and going out again, so have some ideas about what you might do on the first evening if that happens.

On the second day, again be aware of the possibility that you'll find it extremely difficult to get up because of the time difference. However excited you are, you may find getting out of bed at 3 am (body clock time) difficult.

Not sure about a pub lunch in either area. I'm not a great pub person myself, so I'm not the best person to ask. But one idea might be to walk across Tower Bridge to the south side, then turn right towards London Bridge. There are several new chain restaurants in the office development along there - Strada (Italian), dim t (Chinese/Asian), and a Gaucho Grill (speaks for itself). These all have great views of Tower Bridge. And if you go a little bit further to Hays Galleria, there is a riverside pub called the Horniman, which may do food - and there are more restaurants in Hays Galleria anyway. You should be able to get a Thames Clipper to Westminster from the pier there at London Bridge City - you could in theory even get a Thames Clipper from Tower Pier to London Bridge City.

Not sure about a pub lunch in either area. I'm not a great pub person myself, so I'm not the best person to ask. But one idea might be to walk across Tower Bridge to the south side, then turn right towards London Bridge. There are several new chain restaurants in the office development along there - Strada (Italian), dim t (Chinese/Asian), and a Gaucho Grill (speaks for itself). These all have great views of Tower Bridge. And if you go a little bit further to Hays Galleria, there is a riverside pub called the Horniman, which may do food - and there are more restaurants in Hays Galleria anyway. You should be able to get a Thames Clipper to Westminster from the pier there at London Bridge City - you could in theory even get a Thames Clipper from Tower Pier to London Bridge City.

thanks so much!

Me, I tend to run on adrenaline when we are on vacation - Alaska I stayed awake for almost 48 hours - couldn't sleep between the time change and the daylight, but dh is a sleeper ;).

Walking across the bridge sounds like a fantastic idea !

thanks again!

Might I suggest that if the opportunity presents itself go see the House of Commons in session. We had just viewed the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace and were on our way to the War Room Museum when we passed by the House of Commons and saw the queue to get in. Because there were only a few people in front of us we decided to take the time from our one day in London to stand in the line. We were taken into the House of Commons after a security check and ushered to seats upstairs in the visitor gallery. Fascinating! I have been to the US Capitol and the White House Tour, but have never had a chance to actually see our Congress in session - so to get the chance in Great Britiain was really amazing! All the "here, heres" are not just done in the movies, either! Afterward we enjoyed a lovely reasonably priced lunch in the cafeteria downstairs. We felt so fortunate to get inside and feel like participants in the British democratic process1

Have a look at this website:

www.royalcollection.org.uk

The State Rooms at Buckingham Palace are only open to the general public between July 29 - August 28 each year when the Queen is away on her summer hols at Balmoral. I have abridged this from the above website:

What there is to see

The State Rooms form the heart of the working palace and are lavishly furnished with some of the greatest treasures from the Royal Collection - paintings by Rembrandt, Rubens, Poussin and Canaletto; sculpture by Canova; exquisite examples of Sèvres porcelain; and some of the finest English and French furniture.

For the first time ever, visitors will be able to experience the spectacle of the Palace’s Ballroom set up for a State Banquet. The horseshoe-shaped table will be dressed with a dazzling display of silver-gilt from the magnificent Grand Service. Lavish buffet arrangements of jewelled cups, ivory tankards and chased dishes, sconces, shields and basins will be arranged along each side of the room.

Visitors end their tour with a walk through the Queen's Garden which is home to thirty different species of bird and more than 350 different wild flowers, some extremely rare.

Cameras and mobile phones may be used in the garden but not in the State Rooms.

Not to be missed! Most London folk have not done this tour.

You can also purchase a ticket called 'Royal Day Out' which covers the State Rooms, The Queen's Gallery and the Royal Mews ( Coronation Coach on display) or choose which to visit.

You'll find all the info re booking tickets ( highly recommended) on the website.

Ros

Archived