MSC Cruises - New Slogan and first email advertisement

eroller

Anorak

Another quick thought. No matter how bad my ship board experience no matter how vindictive/false review I was going to produce I would NOT stoop so low as to write obscene messages on the ships "artwork". That is just my way of thinking though.

Barry

May I begin by apologising to all CruiseCritic Members who are having to endure me yet again.

ANORAK. I have to say I am still shocked at your re-action to my joking posting and for the offence caused I once again apologise. However in the past few hours I have been in contemplation!!

I would with the greatest respect and in due reverence to sensibilities like to ask ANORAK a simple queston. It is a question in which I have a genuine and sincere interest.

DO YOU HAVE AN AGENDA HERE?

Let me explain a little more.

Anorak you must agree that you have posted several negative messages.

You quote and post leads only to the "Bad" the negative reviews never to the "Good" the positive.

You say I only express "Opinion NOT FACT" yet it would seem you accept as fact the Bad reviews!!

At 10.19 and again at 11.00 on 30th August you post leads to a negative January review. This review shows a remarkable degree of intolerance and lack of consideration it is vindictive and is considered by many many members of this site to be a discredited review.It turns triviality into major catastrophies. It blames MSC for circumstances out of their control. It has been criticised and contradicted by several persons on the same cruise. When posted on the message boards this review became a "hot" topic and most replies were ANTI.

You ignore that.

Many many people who have cruised on Lirica could demolish that review day by day even line by line.

For the moment I would with respect ask you to please be a little bit more positive and in the interests of fairness make leads to and quote the "Good" as well as the "Bad".

Out of respect for fellow members maybe we should draw a line under the episode but if you wish then e-mail me danbarry2@hotmail.com and we can continue our "discussion" in private.

With Best wishes

Barry

Guest Anorak33

Czechmate posted:

"I would with the greatest respect and in due reverence to sensibilities like to ask ANORAK a simple queston. It is a question in which I have a genuine and sincere interest.

DO YOU HAVE AN AGENDA HERE?"

I will treat that question with the contempt it deserves. I will not be drawn into a slanging match either in public or, as suggested, in private.

Let it suffice to say that now for the first time I have I someone on my "ignore" list.

The conclusion I would draw is that czechmate has insulted anorak and is now on the ignore listing so its a waste of time for czechmate replying to him on here.Anorak will never see what czechmate posts ever again thus avoiding conflict.

IMHO anorak is right when he/she says that czechmate may be a cheerleader for MSC. It does seem like it but who knows who anyone is on here.Time will tell.

Hi Claire. Truth is that as can be seen I made a sincere apology which was obviously not accepted. I asked a straight forward question on something in which I was genuinely interested. If that causes offence it is a strange strange world. I do not write posts for any particular individual so whether someone sees what I write or not is irrelevant - and I am certainly not the loser!!

Sometimes I may make a special thank you or something similar - as recently with bdintertech. Is he another cheerleader I wonder!!!

I must admit I missed the bit where I was called a "cheer leader" for MSC so will have to read again. What I am is a satisfied MSC customer - Yes like any customer I have the odd gripe or two (such as trying to get a brochure and failing dismally) and no cruise is ever 100% perfect. Something else I am is open minded, objective. interested in fair play and a balanced presentation.

I have no reason to feel guilt over my views or actions.

Just wondered as a "Cheer leader" do I qualify for any special benefits and priviliges - maybe even a FREE CRUISE - now theres a thought!! In my dreams I guess!!

Well would you believe it - I have an MSC Brochure :-)

Thanks to Pam I wrote an e-mail to the UK Marketing manager for MSC and explained what had happened. I received a really nice apologising mail back and a promise that the brochure was posted that day 1st September. Today 3rd Sept it arrived in Czech Republic!!

Interesting point the "slogan" or by-line has nothing to do with a signature it is

"cruising as only the italians know how"

This appears on almosr every page in the brochure.

So to me it seems MSC has no universal strategy or marketing policy and it is a case of each country doing its own thing. Or perhaps Europe is different to USA.

I think everyone who plans a cruise should expect to have a wonderful experience...and if you don't expect that, why even bother!?

I've read some bad reviews for MSC AND for every line I've ever cruised with..especially NCL. But you know, our two cruises with NCL have been very good!! Some folks live to complain and to look for something to complain about..thus take everything you read into consideration BUT with a grain of salt also.

I have been trying to thing of a scenerio that would REALLY cause me never cruise again...let's see...I'm made to walk a gangplank!!..in shark infested waters!!..I don't make it!!

• 4 weeks later...

I have not sailed or booked MSC. I have read enough reviews to know the food and service will not be up to the standards that we have come to expect say , on Holland America.

My experience on Costa last year taught me to stick with what I know. ( We had Rude European passengers turning up very late for dinner, poor food, terrible attitude towards N American passengers, small un potty trained children in hot tubs and adult pools)

We experienced heavy smoking and loud Austrian passengers on our Royal Olympic cruise in 2/03 and have no wish to experience it again.

The cruiselines are to blame for not sticking to their guns on dining times, pool rules, smoking areas etc.

Before you think I have a hate on for Europeans- I am one. Now a naturalized

Canadian.

MortgageChick,

Thank you for sticking with HAL (or whatever). You sound just like the type of person I am trying to avoid. I had a mental image when I read "the cruiselines are to blame for not sticking to their guns on dining times..." Perhaps a knock on the cabin door with an M16 in hand?? The "rules" are there and on EVERY cruise there is always SOMEONE who will break them. It is sad indeed that you seem to draw this type of person. I have made many friends cruising and they are delightful, educated, kind, friendly and (OMG!!) some are European...and SMOKERS! I hope to meet even more new friends on my NEXT MSC cruise!

Happy sailing!

I was quite amused having just a minute earlier read a review from a very recent HAL cruise, which includes, food in the Lido cafe was really awful, for every meal, Pinnacle with nearly-congealed sauces, tasteless lobster, lots of fuss but not sparkling service, main restaurant, steaks and roasts acceptable, fish often quite good, but the standard was uneven, presentation sloppy, nothing memorable.

The review was well balanced, not a vinidctive axe grinder. But I found it quite dreadful that not a single wine from anywhere but California was on the list. Eh? nothing from anywhere else. No thanks, I'll stick to MSC. Oh, & the 1300 Americans between 55 and Death:) The chap has some humour.

Of course this is one review, but there are many not good HAL ones too, just as there are for any other cruiseline. Should I believe them? probably as much as every glowing 100% hunky dory review. Just as Mortgagechick knows MSC <without sailing them> is not up to the standards of HAL, I on the same research could say that HAL is not up to the standards of MSC. I would not dare do so far a line I had never sailed, but may comment I don't think it would suit me.

Thank goodness there are a wide variety of types of cruises and ships around, to meet everyone's expectations.

Pam

Yo-

WOW!!!!

I just read this thread after not reading it for a couple of months-

Talk about a battle of words........

This has always been the "low Key" of all the forums with everyone seemingly getting along famously-

Pleast try and return to that respected place in here-

I personally am looking forward to our eleven night Southern Caribbean cruise on the "Lirica" 03/31/2005 and anticipate that it will be a rewarding experience like all of our other cruises-

Happy Cruisin'

Mike

MortgageChick I am pleased to say that in my view you have made the absolute right decision for you.

The sophistication and panache of MSC does not appeal to all tastes.

Those with a "chip on the shoulder" are always difficult fellow passengers in any event.

One does wonder why on earth you came to MSC message boards - perhaps persuaded by someone with an agenda or axe to grind! :-)

Whatever I thank you for the amusement you have created this evening

I am certain that I shall enjoy my next MSC cruise and may yours with whoever will be half as good and you will have a brilliant time. Happy Cruising.

Hi all thread contributers:
This thread seems to have split into two camps, the Pro-MSC'rs most of whom have actually sailed on ships of the line, and Anti-MSC'rs most of whom will never sail on them because of the bad reviews and other perceived problems.
Maybe I could be the mediator as I have an open mind and will be sailing on the Opera in two weeks time out of Genoa.
As far as MSC being thought of as a "budget" line, it's interesting to note that Canada's leading cruise wholesaler is now marketing them in the same mainstream category as NCl, HAL,Celebrity etc.
Like Magwa I too have a horror story about HAL. My best friends' mother, a European and a very nice and reasonable lady was positively vitriolic in her condemnation of her HAL cruise in Europe this summer. Back to P&O or Princess she'll go.
Like Mortgagechick I sailed on Royal Olympic, but I enjoyed an excellent cruise with many Europeans and Americans on the old Stella Solaris three years ago.
I'll give you my opinion when I return, although I'm hoping my experience will be as good as Bdintertech's

Hi Downdie
Most sincerely I hope that you will have a happy and memorable experience and I look forward immesnsely to learning your view. Whatever you decide I will respect your opinion since it is based on actual experience and not ignorance and the opinions of others. I do not believe that you will post false vindictive and malicious information as has been done by some.
However we all have individual likes/dislikes and expectations and yours might be different to mine and as a result I will still stick by and defend a company who have provided me with excellent service, high standards, good food to my tastes and provided most if not all my requirements.
Who knows by the time I next sail with MSC the changes made during this year and the early part of 2005 could well downgrade the company in my view and make MSC another one of the cruise lines with whom I would not wish to holiday (based on experiences and expectations) in the future.

Guest Anorak33
Here is an email ad I received this morning which certainly seems to be for a budget price.

[url]http://www.cruise411.com/emailoffers/10012004/MSC[/url]

Hope it is of interest and does not contravene rules of the site, I'm never quite sure what they are these days.

Archived