Increase in gov't taxes after final payment

cascole

I just got a call from my TA that Carnival corp is assessing more gov't taxes & is threatening to cancel cruises if not paid immediately. I made final payment on my June cruise a couple of weeks ago & have already received luggage tags etc... While I know that the contract allows them to do this; I have never had it happen in all of my years of cruising.

Has anyone else received this call? My TA says it's all of Carnival corp; but if it's gov't tax related - wouldn't that mean ALL cruises & lines were affected?

PS It's fairly nominal increase (just over $7pp)

Yes, ever since 2000 we have had them be increased on some cruises.

The lastest notice we received was Oct 3, 2007 for cruise sailing Apr 15, 2009 and it was an additional USD $0.47 per person.

The cruise contract states that this can happen. I doubt it will price cruisers off the ships - it hasn't for many years so can't see where it will start doing that.

I am on a British Isles cruise in June and made final payment about two weeks ago. I had to pay an additional $165 in increased gov't taxes when I made final payment. I have also had increased port taxes assesed in the past. When it was after final payment they would charge it to my onboard account.

I am on a British Isles cruise in June and made final payment about two weeks ago. I had to pay an additional $165 in increased gov't taxes when I made final payment. I have also had increased port taxes assesed in the past. When it was after final payment they would charge it to my onboard account.

Now I have never heard of excess fees of that much charged after final payment was made.............WOW! And they told you what they were for? If you joined a roll call, was everyone there accessed the same additional charges? This is something I would really question????

WOW! $165!? Was that per person? I'm suddenly feeling very lucky!

Is there somewhere to find a breakdown or news about these new taxes? I would think this would have to be public information?

Normally, the increased fees are very small, sometimes a few cents, other times a few dollars. We aren't talking major money here.

When we booked our cruise last September the gvt fees listed were $102 (per cabin). Then that number became $127. Now it is $184. Since they are refunding our fuel cost, I expect the gvt fees to go up even more.

"Normally, the increased fees are very small, sometimes a few cents, other times a few dollars. We aren't talking major money here."

When we booked our cruise last September the gvt fees listed were $102 (per cabin). Then that number became $127. Now it is $184. Since they are refunding our fuel cost, I expect the gvt fees to go up even more.

Honestly, this is the first time I have heard of increased taxes and fees of this magnitude. Usually they are only a few cents to a few dollars. And we have done many exotic cruises, sailed the British Isles and the Med and never have had any increased fees attached after or before final payment to our bookings.

I sailed CCL last year & right before final payment I changed the date from 4/30 to 4/15. The port charges went up $12.60pp. They were not charging additional on the original booking final payment but when I changed dates, they changed port charges.

Now I have never heard of excess fees of that much charged after final payment was made.............WOW! And they told you what they were for? If you joined a roll call, was everyone there accessed the same additional charges? This is something I would really question????

Toto - The $136 increase is for two, so that would be $68pp. I have not gotten any notice of this from Princess, it was simply stated on my final payment invoice as "$135.94 tax increase". I use the same TA that I know you have used for a number of years.

Are the US government and others trying to price cruisers off ships?? i know of no other holiday that once you have paid the balance that they can then increse it !!..:mad:
Huh? The U.S. government has nothing to do with the "government fees and taxes" on a cruise ship. These are port fees and government (city, state, country) taxes that can, and do, increase frequently and can happen at any time. The cruiseline is charged the fees and they pass them along. For instance, Mexico recently increased fees for passengers as did Alaska last year. Many times, particularly U.S. ports, cities will levy a "dumping" or other type of charge on cruise ships as a way to generate revenue for the port. The U.S. government has nothing to do with port charges.

Toto - The $136 increase is for two, so that would be $68pp. I have not gotten any notice of this from Princess, it was simply stated on my final payment invoice as "$135.94 tax increase". I use the same TA that I know you have used for a number of years.

Cathy, Nope, I do not use that TA anymore after she charged me $250 AFTER final payment as she said SHE made a mistake with a credit from Princess we were to receive. She might have collected the $250 but lost a client that was booking 3-4 cruises per year with her.

Her excuse was 'OPPS, I realized when I put in your final payment that you had that credit which dipped into my profits, so I had to charge your credit card another $250'. No phone call, just an email to us while we were sailing on another cruise (that we had booked through her also) saying she had charged our credit card without our authorization. I could have made a fuss as this did not match up to the price on our invoice, but decided that this one that replaced my trusted TA was not one for me for future cruises. I might have understood the reason, but I will never understand her chargeing my credit card without first getting authorization from me to do it, especially for a charge that was unexpected by me and she should have known about for over three months, as that is how long she knew about the credit and how long it had been applied to the booking. huff huff (yes, it still hits a sore spot with me even to this day).

That makes me wonder if it actually was taxes and fees you were charged for?????? Makes you think doesn't it?

Archived