Star/Dawn Aft Corner Questions??

SakeDad

The deckplans show the aft (stern, if you must:rolleyes:) corner cabins have wrap around decks but not on deck 10. However when I look at pictures of these ships they have partitions on ALL decks that look like you can't use the actual "wrap around" part.

1) Do these partitions open on ANY of these decks?

2) Also, it's hard for me to tell which is AE or AD?

3) Can the beds in the "romance suite" be seperated?

I am wondering about the balconies at the stern as well. We booked an AD romance suite on the Dawn (10726) and it looks like the balcony does wrap around, but it is not accessable to the end rooms. I would love to hear from someone who has been in one of these cabins to know for sure!

Thanks!

Michelle

The deckplans show the aft (stern, if you must:rolleyes:) corner cabins have wrap around decks but not on deck 10. However when I look at pictures of these ships they have partitions on ALL decks that look like you can't use the actual "wrap around" part.

1) Do these partitions open on ANY of these decks?

2) Also, it's hard for me to tell which is AE or AD?

3) Can the beds in the "romance suite" be seperated?

I've cruised the Dawn and the Gem in an AE, on the corner. Deck 8 & 9.

1) The "wrap around" did not open on either of these decks.

2) I believe the AD's are center cabins and not near the end "wrap around" anyway.

3) The beds in an AE cannot be separated...I would assume they cannot be separated in AD...a "Romance" suite;)

Enjoy your cruise:)

2) I believe the AD's are center cabins and not near the end "wrap around" anyway.

3) The beds in an AE cannot be separated...I would assume they cannot be separated in AD...a "Romance" suite;)

Interesting that the deckplans show the balconies wrap around when in fact they don't....sales technique??:rolleyes:

I've read previous posts that said there was too much engine noise at the back of the ship. I'll be curious to hear what you have to say, after your cruise. It would be nice to have a first hand report.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise!

I've read previous posts that said there was too much engine noise at the back of the ship. I'll be curious to hear what you have to say, after your cruise. It would be nice to have a first hand report.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise!

No engine noise...just the sound of the wake (heaven).

So great that you can keep your balcony doors open all night:)

OK...so one of my missions on the cruise is to find out WHY the wrap balconies are not open for the cabins they are attached to even though the deckplans CLEARLY show they are! I will report back. As for the engine noise I have heard most think it to be like white noise...very soothing and peaceful:p Many have said they sleep with their aft doors open to hear the wake an the gentle engine noise....I'll let you know in a few weeks.

Edit:Cosmo.....GET OUT OF MY HEAD! We were typing the same thing at the same time!

OK...so one of my missions on the cruise is to find out WHY the wrap balconies are not open for the cabins they are attached to even though the deckplans CLEARLY show they are! I will report back. As for the engine noise I have heard most think it to be like white noise...very soothing and peaceful:p Many have said they sleep with their aft doors open to hear the wake an the gentle engine noise....I'll let you know in a few weeks.

Edit:Cosmo.....GET OUT OF MY HEAD! We were typing the same thing at the same time!

LOL...can't wait for your report.

Oh, and one evening, I was sitting at the table in our AE suite and I kept hearing a "tapping" noise on the balcony. I ALWAYS open the balcony door as soon as I return to the cabin and keep it opened all night.

I thought (the tapping) was a (drip) leak!

It was a huge bird trying to get in the cabin since he was trapped on the balcony..have your camera ready;)

Great pictures but scared me silly:eek:

We booked an AD on the Dawn for next April, and it is not a center cabin, it is an ed cabin. It looks like the ADs are on the 10th deck, and the AEs are on the 8th and 9th decks from what I could tell when booking.

Michelle

We have stayed in the AFT deck 10 AD's on the Dawn several times and doing so again in June. The balcony does wrap-a-round. But, there is a partition there. No one else has access to that area, so no one can look over at you. Not sure why they are partitioned off. However, sometimes (if your lucky) you can request to have the partitioned open by the butler and they will do it. Not all the thime, though. Not sure why..

We are booked in 9732 on the Star in May. I was hoping we could enjoy the wraparound. Please let us know what you find. We have never tried an aft cabin, but I know several people who only book aft. I hope we like it.

As with suites, once you stay in an AFT, you'll always want an AFT. That's the only place we will book. The view is great, the sound of the churning water from the wake, the smell from the bakery below in the early evenings, less traffic outside in the halls since your at the end of the ship, usually tha balconies are larger, etc. We LOVE aft cabins..

We have stayed in the AFT deck 10 AD's on the Dawn several times and doing so again in June. The balcony does wrap-a-round. But, there is a partition there. No one else has access to that area, so no one can look over at you. Not sure why they are partitioned off. However, sometimes (if your lucky) you can request to have the partitioned open by the butler and they will do it. Not all the thime, though. Not sure why..

Thanks for the information! I will try to remember to ask the butler if he/she is able to move the partition for us. Great tip!

Michelle

So where's the picture?:p Have you seen my galleries? I don't think me not having a camera ready is a possibility!:D

I did upload/download the pictures....having trouble sending them...perhaps you could identify the bird that scared 10 years off of my life:eek:

We booked an AD on the Dawn for next April, and it is not a center cabin, it is an ed cabin. It looks like the ADs are on the 10th deck, and the AEs are on the 8th and 9th decks from what I could tell when booking.

Michelle

We were in AE's on the Dawn and Gem, end cabins. I thought AD's were next to our suite. Now, not sure what they were:confused:

We are booked in 9732 on the Star in May. I was hoping we could enjoy the wraparound. Please let us know what you find. We have never tried an aft cabin, but I know several people who only book aft. I hope we like it.

Yes, on the Star you can enjoy the wrap around balcony on Decks 8 & 9. We were in AE 8170 on the Star to Alaska in 2006 and enjoyed our balcony and the lovely aromas coming up from the bakery several decks below.

Here's a picture of the back of the Star where you can see the wrap around balconies on Decks 8 & 9, but Deck 10 has a partition.

StarAft8170.1.jpg.fc64f5756a4459c0535eafd9181d57a7.jpg

Yes, on the Star you can enjoy the wrap around balcony on Decks 8 & 9. We were in AE 8170 on the Star to Alaska in 2006 and enjoyed our balcony and the lovely aromas coming up from the bakery several decks below.

Here's a picture of the back of the Star where you can see the wrap around balconies on Decks 8 & 9, but Deck 10 has a partition.

Thank you SO MUCH Sandy!:) That's the first time I've seen the Star aft where you can see the wrap balcony can be used. Interesting you can't do it on 10....but is that a door I see on that balcony:confused: This just goes to show that the Star is NOT like the Dawn in every way the way it's portrayed here:rolleyes:

Thank you SO MUCH Sandy!:) That's the first time I've seen the Star aft where you can see the wrap balcony can be used. Interesting you can't do it on 10....but is that a door I see on that balcony:confused: This just goes to show that the Star is NOT like the Dawn in every way the way it's portrayed here:rolleyes:

You're welcome, SakeDad! Yes, I remember reading a few years ago about the difference in that on the Star the 4 corner AE balconies (aft decks 8 & 9) were wrap around, but not the AD balconies, and not the Dawn's.

That sure looks like an open door to me! Here's another shot of the back of the Star:

StarBack.jpg.c40ffca2d98b5751a02a4f9df9fa6df2.jpg

Archived