Airfare to South America as much as 14 day cruise

CruzinFamilyof5

I purposely chose a South American cruise that didn't begin in Rio because I dislike it. I heard great things about Santiago, Chile. I was in Rio for several months years ago, and the petty crime was totally out of control then. I couldn't wear a watch or any jewelry. Every time I hire someone to put down flooring in my house here they seem to be from Brazil. I asked them if it was still as bad, and even with their limited English, they have conveyed that the city has still quite a lot of crime.

Did I miss something??? Did you book custom air??? You posted your price at $1560 and change. Believe me, the transfers are sure not worth almost $200 per person.

If you didn't book custom air, I find it hard to believe that you are taking a chance with cruise air (which from ABQ could involve some weird connections) and passing up about $300.00 in savings (I figured in the transfer to Valparaiso for 2). Unless you pay for air deviation, you will arrive between 9 and noon your sail date. Then immediately leave the airport and head for Valparaiso.

No, you didn't miss anything. Yes, I am passing up $300. I don't feel it's worth it to gamble right now. I may look at an air deviation, but am more concerned with them being responsible for getting me there. I amy be one of the few who actually likes cruise air. Plus, being a repeater does give one free air deviations. I was hoping that perhaps closer to sail date, I could find some wholesale fares or I have a friend who may be able to take us on a buddy pass.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Greatam...I am wondering...can you please help me.

I am trying to find airfare from DFW, or anywhere in Texas with the exception of El Paso, to arrive in Santiago for a cruise March 15, 2009. Cruise ends March 29 in Buenos Aires. Actually probaby better to get to Santiago march 14 or we can if that is best.

Just myself and DH. But..I am terrified of flying so the fewest up/downs is best for me..but I can cope.

Can you help???

• 5 weeks later...

We are booked on the princess cruise which leaves March 16 from Rio and goes to Santiago and using their coach airfare. We do like to travel business/first class on long trips, but airfare looks outrageous. Any suggestions as to how to watch the airline fares and figure out how to book less expensive fares?

Suzie

Does anyone know who Princess generally uses to fly to either BA or Santiago. At the moment have booked with Princess but only airline I can find cheaper is American. We are flying out of Boston. We are booked on Feb 14 cruise out of BA and end in Santiago, Chile. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

This is FYI. We thought that airfare price at the time of booking would hold, just found out yesterday that due to very fine print, the air fare will increase due to fuel costs. If one pays for cruise and air in full when booking, air fare will be as of that day and Princess will have to eat the extra cost. so just in case anybody is letting Princess book the air, may be check airlines for prices or pay up in full now. Guess other cruise lines will follow sooner or later.

• 1 month later...
No, you didn't miss anything. Yes, I am passing up $300. I don't feel it's worth it to gamble right now. I may look at an air deviation, but am more concerned with them being responsible for getting me there. I amy be one of the few who actually likes cruise air. Plus, being a repeater does give one free air deviations. I was hoping that perhaps closer to sail date, I could find some wholesale fares or I have a friend who may be able to take us on a buddy pass.

Even though this was posted a month or so ago, I think I should correct your assumption that the cruise line will be "responsible for getting me there".

In almost all cruise contracts, there is wording to the effect: "Hotels, shore excursions, ground transportation and AIR is booked as a CONVENIENCE to passengers. The cruise line has NO liability for any third party vendors".

If you miss the flight, the cruise line is NOT responsible. Nor are they in ANY WAY obligated to get you to your cruise. Please read the fine print in your cruise contract. Princess goes so far as to prevent you from suing for "disappointment". The only responsibility the cruise line has is to refund all or a portion of your cruise air fare IF you miss your cruise (whatever you did not use).

PLEASE DO NOT COUNT ON THE CRUISE LINE GETTING YOU TO YOUR CRUISE. IT IS NOT THEIR RESPONSIBILITY.

We were forced to cancel our South America cruise when AA shot the fare up by $1,200 per person when they fixed the bug on their website. AA continued to show the cheap fares ($1,800 pp) and I had problem purchasing the tickets due to the bug - I reported it to AA and they tried to purchase them for me but encountered the same bug. Also they admitted that the cheap fares had long been sold out and I had been tricked into believing that the cheap fares were still available. I waited because we had to pay off out credit card bills from our last vacation.

There are 3 of us and there was no way we'd pay $3,600 extra. So we switched to a Med cruise - with $1,400 airfares.

FWIW, when I booked flights seperately on LAN, it was much cheaper to also book a flight from BA to Iguazu at the same time. MIA-BA-IGR-BA then SCL-MIA back. It was $1556.60pp booked directly online with LAN. I could have gotten lower fares on Copa and AeroMexico (?), but I wanted LAN direct flights because it saves me 2 days of vacation for next year and LAN was a lot cheaper than AA at the time. We fly out at 9pm direct, return direct night flight gets in at 5am. Hmm, same airfare looks to be $500 more now, and just the two direct international flights are cheaper now. I did get hit with a $25 "international fee" by Visa, grrrr.

I also noticed it made a difference in price finding the LAN flights (not LAN operated by AA).

If flying through Miami, check prices to Palm Beach and Ft, Lauderdale too. They are often much cheaper than Miami. There is a Tri-Rail shuttle that takes you from the airports to the Tri-Rail train and the last stop on the train is at the Miami airport, another shuttle to the terminals. It costs less than $10 for the nice shuttle/train ride. They do have places to put luggage on the train too, sit by your luggage. Expect to wait maybe 20min for the shuttle bus at the airport, train from Deerfield Beach is about 1hr to the Miami airport. At the Miami stop the transfer bus is usually waiting for the train.

http://www.tri-rail.com/

I can also get to the Miami port from the train by using Tri-rail to the MetroRail station stop, then MetroRail to the Goverment station, then a 243 bus to the terminal. I think this bus only runs on weekdays. Maybe easier is the "inner loop" extension from Government that goes to the Bayside marketplace. Transfers on MetroRail are free, just scan your Tri-rail ticket. There were a lot of cabs there and you can see the port from there so it can't be too expensive. It took us 30min from Tri-rail station to Bayside. There are elevators at all train transfer stations so you don't have to drag luggage up stairs. We even saw guys in wheel chairs on the MetroRail. We are doing another ride down today to check it out more.

I have returned from Bayside. The Royal Caribbean Majesty of the Seas was at the dock, as was a Carnival ship. The NCL Sky for next Friday's getaway was gone. Sorry, I could not see the ships from the Government station, only when I took the inner loop train.

I watched 2 guys at Bayside ask a cab for rates to the cruise pier. They were quoted $8 and told the guy it was too much , said it's usually only $6-7, and headed for other cabs. There were also a lot of cabs by another stop at the Intercontinental Hotel, also nearby on the Inner Loop.

I also verified with a local that the 243 Seaport bus only runs M-F from the Goverment station on Metrorail, but it does stop at cruise terminals. She said they only recently started this bus route.

Warning, I went into the Holiday Inn and ask the concierge if they had a shuttle to the cruise ships. He said "yes, it cost $35, whould you like me to call them?", I laughed and told him he must be kidding since I could see the ships from the hotel. His face turned bright red and he said "oh, I forget, I guess it is $12". He is a crook and should be fired. The cabs I checked were right across the street from here. I actually saw people walking across the causeway to the ships on the other side of the road, too hot here for me to do that in the summer.

We were bummed after eating at Bubba Gumps to find that a couple other good restaurants were open for lunch. I will NOT be doing Bubba Gumps again any time soon, my first and last time. Let me eat lobster in Maine or die, oops wrong state.

I just tried sidestep (dot com) and found the prices for your dates [LAX to SCL, EZE to LAX Fri 19 Dec 2008 – Sat 10 Jan 2009] as little as $1300/pp via Air Canada (:eek: odd routing), next was a little under $1500/pp via AA going and Mexicana on the return. LAN would run you about $1750/pp.

We did a 20-day HAL cruise Rio-Santiago via Antarctica this year. It is a spectacular cruise!

Good luck -

Mary Ellen;

I have just booked HAL from Santiago to Rio for Mary 2009. I am very interested in your comments. Flying from Nashville, TN to Santiago would you recommend taking the airline transfer since it is 1 1/2 away or taking a cab. Any other points of interest you can think of would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Betsy :cool:

• 1 month later...

Wow am I ever glad I found this thread, it is a wealth of information.

Even though our cruise isn't until march 16 of 2010 I am looking at options for flight routings.

We are in Vancouver BC, flying to Rio - sailing to Santiago. Then we are on our own for 11 nights so we can visit Santiago, Cusco and MP (made it 11 nights after reading Greatam's experiences in SA). We will do our own arrangements here.

Then we have to get back to Santiago to sail on April 11.

We are looking at options of one way to Rio, then one way back from LAX after cruise. Or one way from LAX to Rio, with return trip from YVR to LAX.

Oh the options!

Wow am I ever glad I found this thread, it is a wealth of information.

Even though our cruise isn't until march 16 of 2010 I am looking at options for flight routings.

We are in Vancouver BC, flying to Rio - sailing to Santiago. Then we are on our own for 11 nights so we can visit Santiago, Cusco and MP (made it 11 nights after reading Greatam's experiences in SA). We will do our own arrangements here.

Then we have to get back to Santiago to sail on April 11.

We are looking at options of one way to Rio, then one way back from LAX after cruise. Or one way from LAX to Rio, with return trip from YVR to LAX.

Oh the options!

Take a look at the AeroMexico and Mexicanna flights in/out of Tijuana. Sometimes, there are VERY good prices to Tijuana. Cab, bus, shuttle to/ from the San Diego airport. Or even RT into LAX, then the shuttle or the train (the ride is great-along the coast) to San Diego.

Often, quite large savings due to the difference in taxes.

Take a look at the AeroMexico and Mexicanna flights in/out of Tijuana. Sometimes, there are VERY good prices to Tijuana. Cab, bus, shuttle to/ from the San Diego airport. Or even RT into LAX, then the shuttle or the train (the ride is great-along the coast) to San Diego.

Often, quite large savings due to the difference in taxes.

Thanks will check, we have just been looking at flights for 2009 as 2010 is not avail yet just so we can get an idea. Ironically flying Vancouver to Rio is only $879 with Continental via Houston, for a little more we can route via Toronto with Air Canada. Heck we even looked at flying to Houston early then booking separate ticket from Houston but that was $900 to Rio, the same as if we flew from vancouver? Go figure.

We also looked for out of LA and the price is the same as if we flew from Vancouver.

Hopefully these costs will be similar to what we can get in 2010 but who knows with the cost of everything so up in the air.

Greatam, question. We are going to go to Cuzco and MP as we have 11 days between cruises (which is out of Valpariso).

We are taking your advice and staying in Cuzco for a few days and then overnight in MP.

Question is: Flights with LAN out of Santiago should we go directly to Cuzco from Santiago then back to Santiago afterwards, omitting Lima (except the airport)? we will be visiting Lima on the 2nd cruise.

We thought about flying Santiago to Lima staying a few days then visiting Cuzco, either Lima before MP or after. How do you book a flight that is Santiago - Cuzco (via Lima) - Lima (for a few days) - then Santiago?

thanks for any advice

Question is: Flights with LAN out of Santiago should we go directly to Cuzco from Santiago then back to Santiago afterwards, omitting Lima (except the airport)? we will be visiting Lima on the 2nd cruise.

We thought about flying Santiago to Lima staying a few days then visiting Cuzco, either Lima before MP or after. How do you book a flight that is Santiago - Cuzco (via Lima) - Lima (for a few days) - then Santiago?

thanks for any advice

Do a multi city booking with your dates. But check out if it won't be cheaper to book RT SCL/LIM/SCL, then a separate ticket from LIM/CUZ/LIM. Coordinate the dates and sometimes you save money.

Lima-NO MORE than 3 days TOTAL. One day for Nazca lines, one day for sightseeing (you can do this when your ship returns to Lima) and one day for travel to/from LIM. Highlights of LIM can be EASILY seen in one day. If you like the city, I guess you could spend more time.

If you have extra time (you do with 11 days between cruises), you may want to look into going to Lake Titicaca. The train out of Cusco is simply fantastic and you can spend the night on the shores of Lake Titicaca, spend the night on Suasi Island or even spend the night on a catamaran in the middle of Lake Titicaca. You could also make a quick trip to Arequippa/Colca Canyon to see the condors. But that may be adding too much just to see some birds.

Do a multi city booking with your dates. But check out if it won't be cheaper to book RT SCL/LIM/SCL, then a separate ticket from LIM/CUZ/LIM. Coordinate the dates and sometimes you save money.

Lima-NO MORE than 3 days TOTAL. One day for Nazca lines, one day for sightseeing (you can do this when your ship returns to Lima) and one day for travel to/from LIM. Highlights of LIM can be EASILY seen in one day. If you like the city, I guess you could spend more time.

If you have extra time (you do with 11 days between cruises), you may want to look into going to Lake Titicaca. The train out of Cusco is simply fantastic and you can spend the night on the shores of Lake Titicaca, spend the night on Suasi Island or even spend the night on a catamaran in the middle of Lake Titicaca. You could also make a quick trip to Arequippa/Colca Canyon to see the condors. But that may be adding too much just to see some birds.

Yeah Lima was an area we weren't sure of and since we are going back with the ship we like your idea.

Now the Condors! Hubby is interested. We will be making base in Cuzco and staying at the hotel you recommended earlier and exploring... we potenitally could have a week here as we want to spend the two days at MP (as per your recommendation) and these other trips are now added to the list.

Any tips, hotels, trains, inside knowledge on how to get to these places, any recommendations?

Thanks you have us very excited.

Yeah Lima was an area we weren't sure of and since we are going back with the ship we like your idea.

Now the Condors! Hubby is interested. We will be making base in Cuzco and staying at the hotel you recommended earlier and exploring... we potenitally could have a week here as we want to spend the two days at MP (as per your recommendation) and these other trips are now added to the list.

Any tips, hotels, trains, inside knowledge on how to get to these places, any recommendations?

Thanks you have us very excited.

Sorry, but you can't use Cusco as a base to see Lake Titicaca or the condors in Colca Canyon. Totally different areas.

Here is info on the train to Lake Titicaca

http://www.perurail.com/web/tper/journeys/4_53405.jsp

Here is info on Suasi Island

http://www.casa-andina.com/peru_hotels/lake_titicaca_suasi_island_hotel-2-8-10.phtm

Here is info on the catamaran for an overnight in the middle of Lake Titicaca

http://www.peruforless.com/packages/tours-puno-detailed.php

There are MANY catamaran operators in Puno. The one above is NOT the one I went on. I booked my tour when I was in Puno one time buying alpaca sweaters (Puno is the sweater capital of Peru). Didn't want a tour to Sun Island, didn't want to do anything except get on the water, cruise around and look at scenery, have some great food, and a pleasant sleep. All were accomplished for $700.00 for two of us. Would have been cheaper if we had more people but the TOURS go to Sun Island and I just wasn't interested.

You will most likely have to fly from Puno to Arequipa for condors or take a very arduous bus or car ride. They have improved the road from what I understand and the 12 hour road trip is now accomplished in 5 hours or less. Cruz del Sur is the bus company that runs that route. Use the Royal or Imperial bus ONLY. The other ones, although very cheap, are really crappy. There is one flight per day from Juliaca (Puno) to Arequipa-2:30PM on LAN. 1 hour flight.

Colca Canyon is where the condors are. Colca Canyon Lodge is the best of the best for accommodations. They have hot springs on their property. I stayed at Pozo del Cielo Chivay because Colca Canyon Lodge was full. The public hot springs are very nice.

You have a lot to digest and think about. But about 5-6 days out of your 11 is all I would spend in Cusco. At least think about the train ride to Puno. It truly is a spectacular journey.

Thanks!!!

Lots to digest, and more research but we can see there is so much to do and see and so little time!

Right now this is a rough outline of what we are thinking.

Day 1&2 Fly to Cuzco, spend two nights

Day 3 train to MP and overnight

Day 4 MP and then train back to Cuzco

Day 5 Lake Titicaca overnight

Day 6 travel back to Cuzco

Day 7 travel to Lima

Day 8 Nazca Lines

Day 9 travel to Santiago and stay until ship leaves

We may omit Lima entirely and travel to Santiago all in one day from Cuzco and add the trip to see the condors. Don't think we can do the night on the Catamaran but will just stay in Puno and do day trip. Any hotel recommendation for Puno?

We are not really into the fancy places, just like a clean cozy comfortable place where the owners run the place. We are both into physcial activities, hikes and long walks don't scare us and we enjoy eating where the locals do. So anything you suggest we are writing down and researching.

Do you ever come up to Vancouver? Let us know I think a drink is in order to repay you for all your excellent knowledge and advice.

Thanks

Vickie

Thanks!!!

Day 1&2 Fly to Cuzco, spend two nights

Day 3 train to MP and overnight

Day 4 MP and then train back to Cuzco

Day 5 Lake Titicaca overnight

Day 6 travel back to Cuzco

Day 7 travel to Lima

Day 8 Nazca Lines

Day 9 travel to Santiago and stay until ship leaves

We may omit Lima entirely and travel to Santiago all in one day from Cuzco and add the trip to see the condors. Don't think we can do the night on the Catamaran but will just stay in Puno and do day trip. Any hotel recommendation for Puno?

We are not really into the fancy places, just like a clean cozy comfortable place where the owners run the place. We are both into physcial activities, hikes and long walks don't scare us and we enjoy eating where the locals do. So anything you suggest we are writing down and researching.

Do you ever come up to Vancouver? Let us know I think a drink is in order to repay you for all your excellent knowledge and advice.

Thanks

Vickie

Day 5-6-7 are not good options.

The train to Lake Titicaca (Puno) is an all day journey. So Day 5-you could take the train. Day 6-go see the Uros/Taquile Islands. Very inexpensive tour and any hotel can arrange it. Know nothing about this agency, but at least gives you an idea about going to the floating Uros Islands.

http://www.andeantravelweb.com/peru/destinations/puno/islands.html

Stay at the Casa Andina Private Collection (on the lake) or Sonesta Posada. You do have to be careful and read hotel descriptions THOROUGHLY. A lot of hotels in Cuzco/Lake Titicaca/Arequipa DO NOT have central heating. They have these little radiator things like they sell at Walmart. They warm up the area right by the radiator but as many times as I have used them, I have NEVER been warm in the ENTIRE room. I bring this up because I wanted to stay at the new Titicaca Lakeview Inn in December. They do not have central heat.

I also use this agency for a lot of my Peru hotel bookings. They have VERY fair prices, can sometimes get a bigger discount than I can get booking directly with the Casa Andina and Sonesta Posada hotels. AND they are based in Florida, so no language problems. They have an office in Lima and Denise in Lima is VERY good about solving problems.

http://www.peru-hotels.com/index.htm

They are supposed to have BETTER air and train prices than available online direct through PeruRail and LAN. I have not found that to be the case. They want $180.00 RT Cusco/MP. Booking yourself online-$142.00. Yes, they deliver the tickets to your hotel. BUT going to the train station to get your own tickets in Cusco is a VERY Peruvian experience and taxi's most anyplace in Cusco are about $10.00.

As posted previously, Puno is the alpaca sweater capital of Peru. Most of the factories are there. $10.00 for alpaca sweaters.

Day 7 -One flight per day-2:30 PM from Juliaca (Puno) to Arequipa-LAN

Go up to Colca Canyon on Day 8. As posted previously, you can also take the bus-MUCH cheaper than the flight. Just talked to an associate and he states the road from Puno to Arequipa is "like a US Interstate". What a difference 3 years makes. It was a GRUELING trip in 2005.

Day 9 or 10-fly to Lima. IF you took the last or next to the last flight out of Arequipa on day 9, you get to Lima about about midnight. Go to my favorite little hotel (they pick you up at midnight). Then on Day 10, take the Nazca lines flight. And if you are REALLY ambitious, you could take the midnight flight to SCL (arrives 6:00AM). Or you could take the early morning flight on Day 11 to SCL-arrives around noon-PERFECT for the cruise ship transfer. Have done it myself.

Just food for thought. But don't plan on going back to Cusco if you are going to Lake Titicaca. Too far, too expensive if you fly.

Thanks again, so are you recommending the bus to Arequipa?

We want to do it all, but we definately want to spend two days in Santiago before the ship sails as we want to do a wine trip.

So what to do and what not to do?

Thanks for the tip about the hotels and heat, never would of thought of that. Thanks for the link.

We read in one of your posts on another thread about booking the train tickets in Cuzco and picking them up at the station, and that is what we will do.

vickie

• 4 weeks later...

Santiago, Chile to Lima for 225 on LAN

Lima to Fort Lauderdale for 300 on Spirit

Since I have to claim the baggage from LAN and then go back in the terminal and check in with Spirit, is there anything "special" about the Lima airport or procedures I need to know about...like how to get back to the check in area of the airport.

I have 5 hrs between flights.

Thanks

Marlene

Archived