First Time Platinum on Cruise

Sunmail

We are cruising for the first time at the Platinum level. I've seen the list of benefits but do any of you have any tips on how to use and enjoy them? We're traveling on the Caribbean Princess out of Port Everglades next week. For example, if we arrive at the port and there is a huge line outside, do we just go on inside and find an express line? How does the disembarkation work? Etc.

Thanks!!

You usually still have to wait in that long line. The preferred check-in is once you're inside the building. There's a big sign that says "Preferred Check In". Sometimes that line is longer than the one you would normally be in and you don't have to go in that line.

But, one time we did go up to the guy at the door and ask where the preferred line is and he let us right in (skipping the long line). I don't think that was supposed to happen but it can't hurt to try! :D

And in LA in February, we got there before they started letting people on the ship. They were handing out numbers for the groups to board. Because we were platinum, they gave us number 1 even though they were handing out number 5 at the time. We went right to the front of the line!

I hope that helps.

We are cruising for the first time at the Platinum level. I've seen the list of benefits but do any of you have any tips on how to use and enjoy them? We're traveling on the Caribbean Princess out of Port Everglades next week. For example, if we arrive at the port and there is a huge line outside, do we just go on inside and find an express line? How does the disembarkation work? Etc.

Thanks!!

One way to avoid the very long line is to arrive a little later in the check in process. We're Platinum, but we've found it's a whole lot easier to just show up a little later than fight even the preferred check-in line.

Disembarkation, they have a lounge where you can wait until your color and number is called. It's a little easier than waiting in the buffet or the lobby.

There are usually a raft of freebies awaiting you in your cabin. You shuld go on line and know what should be there, in case it isn't. Then you can always call the purser up and nicely ask for whatever might be missing (say a discount coupon for the spa - sorry, we usually book a suite and so I get the giftos from that and from the platinum mixed up, but there is a list on the Princess website and on this one as well).

Have a wonderful cruise!

Charlie

To get the most out of your Internet credit, when you first sign on, buy the package of minutes that your credit will cover. This will give you the most minutes for the credit. Sometimes when you buy the package the first day, they will also give extra minutes.

Each of you will get the credit if you are both Platinum.

Although they seem to do this differently on every ship, you will most likely see all internet charges put on your folio each day and then removed. Be sure to check at least once during the cruise to make sure this is being done correctly.

There are usually a raft of freebies awaiting you in your cabin. You shuld go on line and know what should be there, in case it isn't. Then you can always call the purser up and nicely ask for whatever might be missing (say a discount coupon for the spa - sorry, we usually book a suite and so I get the giftos from that and from the platinum mixed up, but there is a list on the Princess website and on this one as well).

Have a wonderful cruise!

Charlie

Charlie, I think you are confusing the suite perks with the platinum ones. Unless booked in a full suite there aren't really any gifts to be had for platinum captains circle members in other stateroom categories no matter what category below a full suite.

Not sure if it's me or pure luck but the ONLY time I've ever encountered a line at Princess embarkation was in Buenos Aires just over a year ago. The embarkation building was packed with a snaking line that went out the door, past the bus area, around the corner, and down the street and out of sight. The sidewalk was very narrow and people were pushing and shoving with others trying to walk past (with luggage) trying to get ahead. The only word for it was "ugly." I was on a tour bus that drew up to the bus area and our tour guide said, "Everyone with Priority Boarding, follow me." As we tried to get past people, they started screaming at us and trying to block our way. The guide just said, "They're 'Priority'" and waded through the crowd with us meekly behind him. Once inside the building, he got us into the Priority boarding line, which probably saved us about two hours of standing outside in the rain. He got a VERY big tip from me.

Thanks, all! Any time I can shave off embarkation is definitely a plus and free anything (even slow internet) is good, too. I learned my lesson on the suite perks when I booked the mini-suite and thought I was getting the full suite perks. Still love having that extra room, too.

Thanks, again!

Archived