wondering what NCL is doing

markf

Ahh yes, the good ole' days on Columbus Cruise lines.

The only bad part was the shore excursions. They were all the same. Row ashore, ask the natives to tell us where the heck we were, and if they had any gold, plant a cross, and then row back to the ship.

The trays were nice though. Pewter, I think.

You were on the cruise? Gee, remember the mutiny? The crew wanted to line dance and the captain...I think his name was Chris....Would have none of it. He wanted the men to actually work...If you can believe it!

As for the trays, well, I don't remember if they were pewter but I DO know the buffet was excellent...Particularly the salted cod....Or it could have been pork.

As for the shore excursions, well, they DID leave a lot to be desired and the tour guide was, shall we say, not the best. I mean we were SUPPOSED to land in India!!!

Anyway, yes I AM going to sneak my very own tray onto the Jewel! Don't tell them, though......

Ya know, I never have a problem giving the room service guy a couple extra bucks for bringing my food....especially since he doesn't have a tray...Just their ability to carry all those plates of food down those long halls without a single mishap is impressive...:cool:

Ya know, if they DID have trays, I might be tempted to get room service, and hide the tray for my next trip to the buffet;)

Can they get away with those Pewter trays? Isn't the lead content too high?

Hey, what's a little lead poisoning as compared to the horror of not having a buffet tray at all? So some of the kids on the cruise ended up a bit stunted, trays are a key to the positive cruise experience.

That is untrue that NCL hasn't had trays in years.

I sailed on the Dawn last April and they had trays. That changed when the ship went to Drydock in May to fix the Azipod problem. During the Drydock changes were made to the buffet, including the creation of the action stations.

What is an action station? Is that where they cook to order?

Just when we thought we've seen it all----

TRAY SMUGGLING! ;)

A whole new take on the naughty room! Maybe we can use our smuggled trays to hide our bottles of booze! Then they will probably institute a $15 "carrying" charge...:rolleyes:

Im sooo MAD , Im never going to cruise NCL again :mad:

When I unrolled my crisp white napkin at the buffet there was no SPOON , I had to go find one , someone call me a lawyer.

Oh ya and no trays ,,

MPK

Having trays at the buffet is high school cafeteria all over again. Go to any classy restaurant for Sunday brunch buffet and you will see NO trays. Sorry. NCL is dead right on this decision.

If someone wants a tray, go to McDonald's or Burger King or Wendy's. They have plenty of 'em. They don't belong on a cruise ship.

In classy restaruants the servers take your drink orders and bring them to you. On a cruise you have to take your food to the table then get your beverage, or learn to juggle:)

A whole new take on the naughty room! Maybe we can use our smuggled trays to hide our bottles of booze! Then they will probably institute a $15 "carrying" charge...:rolleyes:

I was thinking the the xray shadow of the tray just might hide the bottle behind it...especially if it's one of those pewter trays!

Great news...

We are up to 5 pages talking about trays. The Pride of Aloha had trays last fall, but NCL is now really going overboard on cost cutting. NCL didn't stop at taking away the trays; they are taking away the entire ship. :eek:

Great news...

We are up to 5 pages talking about trays. The Pride of Aloha had trays last fall, but NCL is now really going overboard on cost cutting. NCL didn't stop at taking away the trays; they are taking away the entire ship. :eek:

No trays on my cruise at the end of January (which explains why I'll never again cruise any NCL ship!). ;)

maybe there's a collapsable tray that some obscure vendor sells over the internet. of course it will be metal and made in china...so you'll have a great bargain, but still have to find a way to get it past the xray machines.

maybe there's a collapsable tray that some obscure vendor sells over the internet. of course it will be metal and made in china...so you'll have a great bargain, but still have to find a way to get it past the xray machines.

If the trays come from China, we'd pobably be better off going back to the pewter trays. They'd have less lead in them.

If the trays come from China, we'd pobably be better off going back to the pewter trays. They'd have less lead in them.

Yeah! But all that lead will surely "sheild" all our smuggled booze in the suitcase a whole lot more efficentlly! :D

I am thinking of just sticking the bottles of wine in my pants and borrowing one of the lead aprons we use at work, and just walking through the x-rays machine. Think that will work??? :rolleyes: Or are they going insisit on "patting me down"? Well come to think of it....that may be a whole new perk!!! Kinda like a "free" massage! ;)

There is supposed to be a 1 hour limit on saving chairs, but never saw this enforced.

1 hour? My you're very patient. I'll give a vacant chair long enough to get through the hamburger line then I'm launching their stuff.

I am thinking of just sticking the bottles of wine in my pants and borrowing one of the lead aprons we use at work, and just walking through the x-rays machine. Think that will work??? :rolleyes: Or are they going insisit on "patting me down"? Well come to think of it....that may be a whole new perk!!! Kinda like a "free" massage! ;)

Naw won't work. That thing you walk thru is a metal detector not an xray...but like you say, that pat down could have all sorts of benefits!

I came off the Gem on 3/29 and ate at the buffet many times. There were always friendly staff waiting to carry your items for you if needed. I had two children and a carriage with me at all times. They even found seating for me. With a carriage-there was no way I would be able to carry the tray and steer. It was actually very nice for someone to help me and carry my stuff while I managed the kids. They even asked me if I needed anything else and were willing to go up and get it for me.

If you are in need-believe me-there are people standing by asking if you need help. I noticed the buffet less crowded because people could only grab so much at one time. Maybe that was the idea.

Naw won't work. That thing you walk thru is a metal detector not an xray...but like you say, that pat down could have all sorts of benefits!

Alrighty then...they won't see the bottles in my pants...and since they are glass, the metal detector won't catch them....now I just have to figure out how to keep them from "clinking" around in my pants! This whole trip is just getting funner and funner!! :D

Alrighty then...they won't see the bottles in my pants...and since they are glass, the metal detector won't catch them....now I just have to figure out how to keep them from "clinking" around in my pants! This whole trip is just getting funner and funner!! :D

OK, I'll confess-I've actually done that with some of those flat plastic pint bottles (but only one in each pocket) and then a jersey that was not tucked in.

:D OK, I guess my secret us out

-Monte

How about handicapped people? My husband uses a cane for balance and there is no way he could manage a plate of food, a drink and his cane without a tray. If he goes to get a plate of food, then goes back to get a drink, it might be cleared away and he'll have lost his place. This means I can't go on NCL with him unless I want to have to serve him at the buffet, which means I can't leave him and go to the spa or wherever in case he gets hungry and wants to go to the buffet. If they aren't going to have trays, they need to have people to help guests. It was difficult at best to find someone at the buffet who could help. Celebrity not only has trays, they have plenty of people to help you with the trays and all that, and there is no question in my mind that Celebrity offers a higher quality product.

QUOTE]

On our Gem cruise in January, we were always approached by staff with my DD in a wheelchair and I with a walker. They were willing to do anything to help at any time. There was also a "WHEELCHAIR/WALKER special seating section in the buffet that was always available and easy access. Perhaps it is something new....and an excellent option for the buffet.

Archived