wondering what NCL is doing

markf

I have been reading recent threads, about poor service, nickel diming, etc. I have been a huge fan cruising on NCL 4 of my last 5 cruises, most recently in Jan on the Gem-

Since my return less than 90 days ago-they started charging for dinner at Tequilas, eliminated towels at the pool--I was surprised during my cruise to not have the benefit of trays at the buffet--which to me is unexplainable--

My decision --its time to switch to another cruise line--!!!

I have been reading recent threads, about poor service, nickel diming, etc. I have been a huge fan cruising on NCL 4 of my last 5 cruises, most recently in Jan on the Gem-

Since my return less than 90 days ago-they started charging for dinner at Tequilas, eliminated towels at the pool--I was surprised during my cruise to not have the benefit of trays at the buffet--which to me is unexplainable--

If you've sailed NCL so frequently, you'd know that they haven't had trays at the buffets for years. Pool towels are now in your room when you get there, not at the pools (although you can exchange your towel for another at the pool.) Dinner is still included at the Tex-Mex restaurant, but a small upcharge has been applied at La Cucina, to help equalize supply and demand. As for nickel and diming, others have said it before, if you want everything included in your cruise, expect to pay for everything. I really don't want to pay for aspects of the cruise I won't use, so I don't mind paying additional for what I do want.

Dinner is still included at the Tex-Mex restaurant.

Current reports from the Gem now have a $10 surcharge at the Tex- Mex. Now keep in mind with freestyle 2.0 every speciality restaurant will have a lobster dish every night.

If you've sailed NCL so frequently, you'd know that they haven't had trays at the buffets for years. Pool towels are now in your room when you get there, not at the pools (although you can exchange your towel for another at the pool.) Dinner is still included at the Tex-Mex restaurant, but a small upcharge has been applied at La Cucina, to help equalize supply and demand. As for nickel and diming, others have said it before, if you want everything included in your cruise, expect to pay for everything. I really don't want to pay for aspects of the cruise I won't use, so I don't mind paying additional for what I do want.

Trays were in the Buffet as recently as late 2006 and in 2007, you could ask for them on some ships.

All cruise lines are begining to nickel and dime more lately, although NCL does seem more pushy about it. Every NCL cruise, I have had to get a tad loud with the girls with the beverage cart in the buffets. ("NO, I DON'T WANT TO BUY A SODA, I'VE TOLD YOU THREE TIMES!") They push Krack-its like they were candy and the cost of Bingo on NCL is exhorbant in cost compared to the payouts. (my parents have cruised alot of cruise lines and love bingo. Although they love NCL, they are quick to point out that NCL has the worst Bingo payouts on any line, especially for the price they charge.

The bigger point for What is NCL Doing is What is NCL doing to their cruisers. The POA, Jade and Majesty cruisers have all been shafted the last four months.......

That is untrue that NCL hasn't had trays in years.

I sailed on the Dawn last April and they had trays. That changed when the ship went to Drydock in May to fix the Azipod problem. During the Drydock changes were made to the buffet, including the creation of the action stations.

Having trays at the buffet is high school cafeteria all over again. Go to any classy restaurant for Sunday brunch buffet and you will see NO trays. Sorry. NCL is dead right on this decision.

If someone wants a tray, go to McDonald's or Burger King or Wendy's. They have plenty of 'em. They don't belong on a cruise ship.

There's lot's of variety to choose from. Personally, the reasons of no towels at the pool (they're in your room, more convenient I know, go figure:rolleyes: ) and no trays which I haven't seen trays in quite some time, aren't reasons enough for me to write off NCL. But we all make our own choices. Enjoy your next choice.:)

Just off the Gem, April 5th. The "Dive In" hut at the pool has towels that you sign for. They are the same aqua and white stripe towels given to each passenger in the cabin.

Regarding trays in the buffet...This is not first hand information but I am repeating information given by an officer in the Garden Cafe to someone I had just met. The officer said that new dishes have been ordered for the Garden Cafe which include and area to place a drink glass. I can't wait to see if this materializes.

I sailed on the Dawn last April and they had trays. That changed when the ship went to Drydock in May to fix the Azipod problem. During the Drydock changes were made to the buffet, including the creation of the action stations.

Not totally untrue. The brand new Jewel in the summer of 2005 was the first ship with the Garden Cafe set up for no trays. So it has been years. The Pearl, Gem, and Jade never had trays as well.

If you've sailed NCL so frequently, you'd know that they haven't had trays at the buffets for years.

The statement was untrue.....some ships HAD them, some ships DIDN'T

I was on an NCL ship exactly one year ago and HAD trays.

Having trays at the buffet is high school cafeteria all over again. Go to any classy restaurant for Sunday brunch buffet and you will see NO trays. Sorry. NCL is dead right on this decision.

If someone wants a tray, go to McDonald's or Burger King or Wendy's. They have plenty of 'em. They don't belong on a cruise ship.

How about handicapped people? My husband uses a cane for balance and there is no way he could manage a plate of food, a drink and his cane without a tray. If he goes to get a plate of food, then goes back to get a drink, it might be cleared away and he'll have lost his place. This means I can't go on NCL with him unless I want to have to serve him at the buffet, which means I can't leave him and go to the spa or wherever in case he gets hungry and wants to go to the buffet. If they aren't going to have trays, they need to have people to help guests. It was difficult at best to find someone at the buffet who could help. Celebrity not only has trays, they have plenty of people to help you with the trays and all that, and there is no question in my mind that Celebrity offers a higher quality product.

I personally felt on my last cruise that NCL did it's best to suck every last penny out of you while giving you the minimum it could. The food, beverages and glassware on the buffet were frequently not refilled fast enough, it was difficult to find seats (I was on the gem this past february), and it was difficult to find someone to help you in the buffet, like when you were trying to get a glass if they had run out of glasses. The rock climbing wall was understaffed - and blasting really loud, disgusting rap music (all about playas, hos and booty). They charged the kids to play foosball and air hockey in the kids program. They closed the buffet on the private island two hours before the last tender left and didn't even have a way to get water unless you wanted to spend a couple of dollars for a bottle of water. The desserts were very poor in the dining room and the room service choices were not very good. The spa was very chilly - if you wanted to lie down and relax after going into the spa whirlpool it was too cold - NCL was too cheap to heat the room.

I think if NCL is trying to get 'classy' by getting rid of the trays in the buffet, they'd be better off improving their food and service first. I would go on NCL again only if it was the only ship leaving from NYC the time I wanted to leave and my husband was with me (he can't go on planes due to a disability), and I was able to afford a suite or at least concierge service.

I was on RCI in March and they didin't have trays at the buffet. I found out one thing on that cruise and that is I like NCL and won't be sailing other lines any time soon.

We also cruised on RCI this past August. We had a really nice time but realized we really like NCL the best. There were no trays in the buffet and the buffet on the Granduer of the Seas was so much smaller than the buffet on the Dawn. Both ships fit about the same amount of people. We can't wait to get back on the Dawn in May.

Jeanne

Chances are all of NCL's competitors are going to have similar policies, so getting mad and jumping ship is not going to do a lot of good.

Best advice I have: stay informed before the cruise and plan for all the expenses so you are not surprised later.

We were on the Pearl, Mar. 3. They had two or three of those bins that hold stacks of towels at each end of the pools. No one around to sign them in or out, just help yourself. Never did get any in our mini suite.

How about handicapped people? My husband uses a cane for balance and there is no way he could manage a plate of food, a drink and his cane without a tray. If he goes to get a plate of food, then goes back to get a drink, it might be cleared away and he'll have lost his place. This means I can't go on NCL with him unless I want to have to serve him at the buffet, which means I can't leave him and go to the spa or wherever in case he gets hungry and wants to go to the buffet. If they aren't going to have trays, they need to have people to help guests. It was difficult at best to find someone at the buffet who could help. Celebrity not only has trays, they have plenty of people to help you with the trays and all that, and there is no question in my mind that Celebrity offers a higher quality product.

This must really vary from ship to ship. On the Sun a few weeks ago my father who rides a motorized scooter ate in the buffet without us many times. He was quick to tell us how helpful the staff was...carrying his food, refilling his drink, etc. without him even asking. He said the moment he came into the buffet area, someone approached him and asked if he needed assistance. He was very impressed, but I can imagine how you and your husband felt if that was not the case on your ship.

All these are very explainable if you choose to check further: charging for specialty restaurants: yes, none of us are happy but name 1 line that offers any eateries other than main dining rooms, buffets and maybe a snack type place that does not charge? Have you priced food lately? Towels at the pool? Princess does the same. The towels are not eliminated but are in your cabin. You take them to the pool or off the ship and return them for clean ones: The trays, Princess no longer uses trays. The reason given is for sanitation purposes. whether this is real or not, I don't know. NCL stopped using them when they introduced the Jewel 2 plus years ago, why would this affect anyone choosing to sail a cruise line?

Nita

It is not untrue, it depends on what NCL ship you have sailed. I know for a fact the Jewel has never had trays. Other lines are eleminating them as well. for those who wonder what the handicapped will do with no trays, beleive me the crew will do whatever they need to help those less mobile out. To me anyone that would switch lines because of trays and towels will not be satisfied with any mass marketed line.

Nita

We where on the Star in Jan. with MIL who was in a wheelchair. The crew couldn't have been more helpful to the point they even came to her cabin to bring here down to dining when we where not available. (She was able to get in and out of her chair while in the cabin--just couldn't walk very far.) Seems like everyone was more than willing to give assistance, to the point of helping her in and out of hot tub even when we where there to assist. I'am sorry Nekochan had such a bad experience.:(

Retiredonthesea

We also cruised on RCI this past August. We had a really nice time but realized we really like NCL the best. There were no trays in the buffet and the buffet on the Granduer of the Seas was so much smaller than the buffet on the Dawn. Both ships fit about the same amount of people. We can't wait to get back on the Dawn in May.

Jeanne

RCCL has not had trays for years, however, the plates they use are large oval plates that you can place a drink glass on if you had to. I was chatting with someone on the 3/29 sailing of the Gem and was told that NCL had new dishes on order and these new dishes have a place specifically to hold a drink glass. This information came from an officer in the Garden Cafe. I hope to see these new dishes on our next NCL cruise. Haven't booked another yet but we will most definately cruise on NCL again.

If you think having a tray is High School stuff -I disagree-and to those that think it is classy not to have trays I would agree -if they had staff to serve you drinks-like you see at a buffet in Las Vegas etc.

I ,for one, would rather pay $100-200 more and feel like I am on vacation -and not be aggravated with silliness--

But that is what makes the world go around--

Archived