Just got back from Rays, Reef & Rum Point tour

Kiki in Michigan

We were on the Freedom of the Seas last week and did the Rays, Reef and Rum Point tour. We were extremely pleased with our day on Grand Cayman and would definitely do this excursion again.

We arrived on the island at 9:00am (ship time) and were told the excursion would leave at 9:30am. We didn't leave until almost 10am by the time everyone arrived. We took an air conditioned van over to where we got on our boat. I think there were only about 25-30 of us which was really nice--especially once we got to where the stingrays were because there were lots of boats there were LOTS of people trying to see the stingrays! They served punch and water on the way there--both were in jugs and they just poured some in plastic cups for those who wanted some.

Our guides were wonderful at showing us the stingrays and explaining different things about them. They also made sure everyone had an opportunity to hold one and kiss one (if they wanted). They also brought sting rays close to the boat for those who did not want to get in the water with them.

We then went to a private spot for some snorkeling. The water was a little choppy but the fish and underwater plant life was so worth it!

We then sailed over to Rum Point. On the way there, they had taken our order and our lunch was ready when we got there. My DH and I had the blackened mahi mahi sandwich, and my daughters had the chicken tenders and cheeseburger (huge!). Everything was very good. Rum Point was very peaceful and it was great just to swim in the water and relax on the chairs. We didn't purchase a drink at the bar because there was always a line. They did have cold water for free.

We had a wonderful time and really appreciated the extra attention with the stingrays. Would most definitely do this excursion again!

We were on the Freedom of the Seas last week and did the Rays, Reef and Rum Point tour. We were extremely pleased with our day on Grand Cayman and would definitely do this excursion again.

We arrived on the island at 9:00am (ship time) and were told the excursion would leave at 9:30am. We didn't leave until almost 10am by the time everyone arrived. We took an air conditioned van over to where we got on our boat. I think there were only about 25-30 of us which was really nice--especially once we got to where the stingrays were because there were lots of boats there were LOTS of people trying to see the stingrays! They served punch and water on the way there--both were in jugs and they just poured some in plastic cups for those who wanted some.

Our guides were wonderful at showing us the stingrays and explaining different things about them. They also made sure everyone had an opportunity to hold one and kiss one (if they wanted). They also brought sting rays close to the boat for those who did not want to get in the water with them.

We then went to a private spot for some snorkeling. The water was a little choppy but the fish and underwater plant life was so worth it!

We then sailed over to Rum Point. On the way there, they had taken our order and our lunch was ready when we got there. My DH and I had the blackened mahi mahi sandwich, and my daughters had the chicken tenders and cheeseburger (huge!). Everything was very good. Rum Point was very peaceful and it was great just to swim in the water and relax on the chairs. We didn't purchase a drink at the bar because there was always a line. They did have cold water for free.

We had a wonderful time and really appreciated the extra attention with the stingrays. Would most definitely do this excursion again!

Kiki, sounds like you had a great time. We did this tour in Feb and it was our fav tour of the 4 we did that week. Can't wait to go back :)

We were also w/ Native Ways last week. We chartered a boat to ourselves (9 of us, 4 adults and 5 kids) for the full day. It was our best excursion of the whole trip. Vernon was our guide and we went snorkeling at Coral Gardens, to Starfish Bay and then to Stingray Sandbar. Having the whole boat was awesome. We got to take our time. We went to Rum Point at the end and spent about an hour and 20 min there. Vernon ordered lunch ahead for us and it was waiting and hot when we got there. A table was reserved just for us.

I'm attaching a few pics of Rum Point since someone asked. The water in Cayman is the best of all of our ports of call. I want to just go back and stay there for a week!

BTW, at Rum point, we got the fish and chips (delish), mahi mahi sandwiches and wraps. All were good. We did order a drink from the bar and it was good, but it cost us about $11.50 USD (once you converted from Cayman dollars to USD!!)...so not THAT good.

We would use Native Ways again in a heart beat! Vernon was awesome and patient. He even got some conch and prepared it for us to eat on our way back from Rum Point.

If you have a larger group, consider getting a private charter. We thought it was totally worth the extra money!!

We LOOOVED our RRR tour in Dec '05. I actually just emailed Sharon this morning about booking our group in November!

Glad you had a good time! The RRR Tour MADE our day in Grand Cayman! Can't wait to do it again!

Thank you Kiki for your review.

Do you remember what time you got back to the port? Just wondering if we will have time for some shopping afterwards.

:)

We got back at 3:15, same time our ship had it's last tender scheduled. We did run quickly into one store (Harley) and grab a t shirt but no shopping around etc. If you have a bigger group maybe you can plunk someone (the guys!) in the tender line while you shop nearby? Then you can jump in the line with them. As long as you're in that line they'll keep the tenders going. We were in line at 3:15 but the tenders will still going after 4:30pm. I'd say be aware of your ship's last tender time and use your best judgement. Go peek at the line, if it's a million miles long then you have time to shop a bit in the immediate area.

Enjoy GC!

Thank you Kiki for your review.

Do you remember what time you got back to the port? Just wondering if we will have time for some shopping afterwards.

:)

We got back right around 3:00. They were very good about reassuring us that we would have plenty of time to make the last 3:15 tender. Our driver told us not to stand in line in the hot sun but instead wait until the line went down and enjoy the shade or shopping! We took his advice and did have time to get some last minute shopping in. I don't remember what time we actually got on the tender but I do recall having to wait on the tender for quite a while when we got to the ship because there were already 2 tender boats ahead of us.

We LOOOVED our RRR tour in Dec '05. I actually just emailed Sharon this morning about booking our group in November!

Glad you had a good time! The RRR Tour MADE our day in Grand Cayman! Can't wait to do it again!

We did the RRR tour Jan '08 it was sooooo great.

The tour guides are helpful.

Sharon is very nice.

She picked us up at the marina in her own

car & took us to the tender line.

She is very aware of each tour and

won't let you miss the ship.

We are booking with her again for Nov '08 also. :)

We did the RRR tour Jan '08 it was sooooo great.

The tour guides are helpful.

Sharon is very nice.

She picked us up at the marina in her own

car & took us to the tender line.

She is very aware of each tour and

won't let you miss the ship.

We are booking with her again for Nov '08 also. :)

She did the same thing for us. She has it all under control and figured out, she knows who on the tour is from what ship and which ship's tender is first and who has time to do the tourist thing on the way back and who needs to get back quick. When she says they guarantee you will make it back in time, she means it. She knew that out of the 12 or so ppl on our tour my daughter and I were on the ship with the earliest tender so she came and picked the 2 of us up at the yacht club and took us a quicker less scenic way in her car which was great for us. I mentioned that I was bummed that I was going to miss the Harley shop, wanted to get my hub a t shirt, not hinting at all, just making conversation, knowing we were no where near that store. Next thing I know she's double parking near the Harley store! Me and my daughter ran so fast, we really made an impression on Sharon, she said she never saw anyone shop so fast and that we should be on The Amazing Race. I thanked her profusely for making the extra stop for us.

You won't get service like that on a ship's tour!

Sharon ROCKS!

She did the same thing for us. She has it all under control and figured out, she knows who on the tour is from what ship and which ship's tender is first and who has time to do the tourist thing on the way back and who needs to get back quick. When she says they guarantee you will make it back in time, she means it. She knew that out of the 12 or so ppl on our tour my daughter and I were on the ship with the earliest tender so she came and picked the 2 of us up at the yacht club and took us a quicker less scenic way in her car which was great for us. I mentioned that I was bummed that I was going to miss the Harley shop, wanted to get my hub a t shirt, not hinting at all, just making conversation, knowing we were no where near that store. Next thing I know she's double parking near the Harley store! Me and my daughter ran so fast, we really made an impression on Sharon, she said she never saw anyone shop so fast and that we should be on The Amazing Race. I thanked her profusely for making the extra stop for us.

You won't get service like that on a ship's tour!

Sharon ROCKS!

Sharon does ROCK and her crew!

Have a great cruise! :)

We just got back from six days in Grand Cayman and went on the RRR tour with Nativeway for the second time. We were picked up at our hotel in the morning and had our best day of our trip. It was the first time the other seven in our group had been to Stingray City and Rum Point and they absoutely loved it. Sharon is wonderful making sure that all arrangements are just right. When we got back to our room, she had left a message saying that our credit card was accidently charged an extra $5 and that they would issue a credit immediately. If we are fortunate enough to get back there, we will definetly do this for a third time!!!

Someone in our group had heard that Rum Point is where the first Mudslide

was made. Has anyone else heard this?

Can I book the Rays, Reef, and Rum Point tour now for our December 08 cruise, or is it too early?

I dont see why not. I booked with Sharon almost 2 months ago for Mid-November this year. Your credit card doesnt get charged so what's the harm:)

I emailed her my credit card info instead of faxing it. She said it was no problem.

Have fun.

I am interested in this tour also, but I was wondering if any children go on it? I know some tours are geared more for adults and some are geared more for families. My DH and DD (who will be 5 at time of sailing) are cruising this December '08 and Grand Cayman is on of our ports. Anybody have experience with children on this tour or do you know of tours that are kid friendly? DD is not afraid of water or most anything. She is very adventurous.

Thanks in advance.

I am interested in this tour also, but I was wondering if any children go on it? I know some tours are geared more for adults and some are geared more for families. My DH and DD (who will be 5 at time of sailing) are cruising this December '08 and Grand Cayman is on of our ports. Anybody have experience with children on this tour or do you know of tours that are kid friendly? DD is not afraid of water or most anything. She is very adventurous.

Thanks in advance.

when we went there were only 7 people on our boat, i think. and one was a mom, dad and a little girl, maybe 7 years old. she seemed to love it! she wasnt scared of the stingrays or anything!! i saw her building sand castles at rum point. I guess it would depend what group you got put w/ maybe but i'm sure she would be okay! hope that helps! :)

Archived