Just got back from Rays, Reef & Rum Point tour

Kiki in Michigan

Yes, there is, and it is actually quite nice - not cheap- but nice quality. But then nothing is on Grand Cayman! And I think the prices on the merchandise are in US dollars and not Cayman dollars.

Hi, we have been in Grand Cayman a couple of times, and enjoyed the sting ray tour, and 7 mile beach. This time we would like to just rent a taxi and drive rum point. Does any body know the cost for the taxi ride there for 4 people ( 2 adults, 2 kids)?

Thanks in advance for the info:)

This time we would like to just rent a taxi and drive rum point. Does any body know the cost for the taxi ride there for 4 people ( 2 adults, 2 kids)?

It's usually about $75 US, each way, for my DH and I to get there from the airport, so I'm assuming it's somewhere around the same from most parts of town...and unless you prearrange something, there won't be a taxi there for the return trip. It's a long way from the cruise ship pier, about 45 minutes drive.

If you want to go to Rum Point, your best bet is either renting a car for the day or taking an excursion that includes a stop at Rum Point.

There are Igloo containers with water and ice tea in the table areas, as well as plastic cups. I even saw a lemonade container, but it was empty:)

When we were there they brought out trays full of already poured drinks, I saw no igloo containers. Was that on the RRR tour?

It's usually about $75 US, each way, for my DH and I to get there from the airport, so I'm assuming it's somewhere around the same from most parts of town...and unless you prearrange something, there won't be a taxi there for the return trip. It's a long way from the cruise ship pier, about 45 minutes drive.

If you want to go to Rum Point, your best bet is either renting a car for the day or taking an excursion that includes a stop at Rum Point.

Agreed. For the price of the taxi both ways you could get an entire excursion plus tip. If you wanted just Rum Point then car rental would be the way to go if you are comfortable driving on the other (wrong!:D ) side. We loved the time we spent at Rum Point but I don't think I would have wanted to spend an entire day there. YMMV.

When we were there they brought out trays full of already poured drinks, I saw no igloo containers. Was that on the RRR tour?

There's always at least an Igloo full of ice water over by the tables between the bar and the beach. I think it's so people aren't pestering the bar staff all day long for a glass of water... :D

We decided to do the RRR tour with Nativeways. They even stop at the star fish site a couple of minutes for us ( normaly not part of this tour), which makes my Boys happy:D

Lucky dog! I tried dropping a few hints while we were on RRR that a Star FIsh sighting would be nice but we would have been too pressed for time.

Have a great cruise, you will LOVE "RRR+"!

No, it was on our own. We stayed on GC for 8 days and drove to Rum Point on our own. It was a day when no cruise ships were in port so that may have been the reason. We purposely chose a day when no ships were in port b/c everything is so congested when more than 2 ships are in:eek:

I have a question about your experience at Sting Ray City. Can you tell me how deep the water was where you stopped. I have seen 2 different depths advertised by different excursion companies. One is deep (12 - 15 ft for snorkeling) and the other is 4 feet enabling you to stand on the bottom.

Thank you.

The confusion about the depths stems from the fact that there are two locations with similar names. Stingray City is the snorkelling location, and is deeper. Stingray City Sandbar is the more common stop, where the depth ranges from about 3 ft to 5 ft and you can walk around and interact with the stingrays. Some tours will stop at both locations, others stop at only one...you can usually tell which you're going to based on what you're doing when you get there. :D

I have a question about your experience at Sting Ray City. Can you tell me how deep the water was where you stopped. I have seen 2 different depths advertised by different excursion companies. One is deep (12 - 15 ft for snorkeling) and the other is 4 feet enabling you to stand on the bottom.

Thank you.

the spot where you hold/feed/kiss the rays is about is 3 or 4 feet deep. the snorkel spot is much deeper you can't stand here. life jackets are available.

The confusion about the depths stems from the fact that there are two locations with similar names. Stingray City is the snorkelling location, and is deeper. Stingray City Sandbar is the more common stop, where the depth ranges from about 3 ft to 5 ft and you can walk around and interact with the stingrays. Some tours will stop at both locations, others stop at only one...you can usually tell which you're going to based on what you're doing when you get there. :D

Nativeways RRR stops at both-can't do one without the other!

Which beach is best? Rum Point, 7 Mile, Sea Grape??

We (my DH & I) are cruising in August 2008. We have never snorkeled before so we aren't sure which excursion to book. They all look like a lot of fun. How do you choose which one. :confused: We absolutely want to go to Sting Ray City. We have seen the tour with Fat Fish with the WaveRunners, but we just can't decide!! This is our first trip to Grand Cayman, and unfortunately, we can't do it all!!! Please help us!

Which beach is best? Rum Point, 7 Mile, Sea Grape??

We (my DH & I) are cruising in August 2008. We have never snorkeled before so we aren't sure which excursion to book. They all look like a lot of fun. How do you choose which one. :confused: We absolutely want to go to Sting Ray City. We have seen the tour with Fat Fish with the WaveRunners, but we just can't decide!! This is our first trip to Grand Cayman, and unfortunately, we can't do it all!!! Please help us!

If you are going just for beach then I can't offer advice. But you mention wanting to do SRC, so if you want a well rounded water-activity based day, then as usual I highly recommend RRR, so the answer would be Rum Point. You can read back on this board for many reviews of this tour/company. Here is their website : http://www.nativewaywatersports.com/

If I wanted beach only, my answer may be different.

We're looking at booking the RRR tour and I have a few questions...

Does the boat have an "easy" in and out platform?

Is there a "shaded area" on the boat?

Do the guides hold the stingrays so you don't get stung when you kiss them? :eek:

I really want to do this activity but I'm a little freaked by the idea of swimming and kissing them!

Hope someone can answer my questions.

Pat :)

We're looking at booking the RRR tour and I have a few questions...

Does the boat have an "easy" in and out platform? Anyone who can walk can step onto the boats. The guides will help you if needed. There is no climbing involved, it's a simple step off the dock and onto the boat.

Is there a "shaded area" on the boat? Yes, the boat we were on and the other one we saw that belong to NativeWays both had areas underneath the part where the captain steers the boat that is under cover and shaded.

Do the guides hold the stingrays so you don't get stung when you kiss them? :eek: They certainly will if you ask them too, they will offer to have you hold them as well but you can decline, no harm done.

I really want to do this activity but I'm a little freaked by the idea of swimming and kissing them! It is on my list of most exciting things I've ever done in my life. These are very docile creatures. Just listen to the guides, do as they say, no sudden movements, keep your feet on the ocean floor, enjoy, and you will be fine.

Hope someone can answer my questions. Hopefully we just did :)

Enjoy Grand Cayman and the sting rays!!!!

Thanks for the info...it's very much appreciated! :D

The question on an "easy" in and out platform...

I was wondering about getting in and out of the boat "on the water"... with the snorkel gear on. ;) Getting into the boat from the dock shouldn't be a problem ... just worried about having to climb over the boat side to get in and out of the boat at the different water sites. It won't be a pretty sight... if someone has to push me up out of the water and into the boat! :eek:

Thanks for the info...it's very much appreciated! :D

The question on an "easy" in and out platform...

I was wondering about getting in and out of the boat "on the water"... with the snorkel gear on. ;) Getting into the boat from the dock shouldn't be a problem ... just worried about having to climb over the boat side to get in and out of the boat at the different water sites. It won't be a pretty sight... if someone has to push me up out of the water and into the boat! :eek:

This is how it was for us anyway, regarding getting on and off the boat to get in/out of the water when snorkeling:

You won't climb in and out over the sides. There is a lowered area at the back of the boat that has a short ladder that leads into the water. The gear consists of a vest that easily inflates by blowing into a valve (gross--bring wipes!! clean the valve with a wipe then clean the wipe juice off with ocean water or water from the barrel they have on the boat) and itdeflates by pressing the valve open and pushing on the vest. Put the vest on and inflate it just a bit-too much and you'll float and never be able to go under to see anything-climb partway down the ladder with flippers and mask/snorkle in your hand. Flippers will go on more easily when they and your feet are wet. Pop on the wet flippers, wet and pop on mask also, adjust, then pop snorkle in your mouth (wipe that too, or bring your own-we did) into the water you go. The guides will be there to help you with all of this. Some won't bother with the ladder and will just jump in off the back. Some will be quicker on the ladder than others. If you know you may be slow, maybe try to be one of the last ones in if you don't want to hold others up, or to see how others do it. I promise it will be easier than you think. There is a rope they throw off the end of the boat so if you are afraid of drifting away you can just hang onto or around the rope, or you can go away from it, which we did.

One word of advice on seasickness. The boats can really get rocking and rolling, esp when the guides are anchoring or getting ready to do whatever and you're just sitting there on the boat bobbing away. If you feel sick and get to feeling like you don't want to snorkle because of it-DO IT. I had this happen and getting into the water made the nausea totally go away :o

HAVE A BLAST!

Archived